Thoughts on a 2015 certified... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I've been lurking in the 200 forum for a while, learning and trying to decide on wether to purchase a cherry 100 series or a newer 200 series for our new daily driver/weekend vehicle and I've firmly decided it's time for a 200 series. I currently have an fzj80 that I love and will keep for around town and whatnot and have had a few others over the years for fun. Anyway, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2015 grey lc with 38,000 miles certified in excellent condition for 60k. Man that's a lot of money. Just wondering if that seems like a fair price or if I should keep looking around?
I really do like the 200 series, what a solid vehicle!
Any thoughts appreciated, thanks,
Jas

They are nice, exceptionally capable, reliable and luxurious. Really about your preference on color but the price looks fair.

Hi all, I've been lurking in the 200 forum for a while, learning and trying to decide on wether to purchase a cherry 100 series or a newer 200 series for our new daily driver/weekend vehicle and I've firmly decided it's time for a 200 series. I currently have an fzj80 that I love and will keep for around town and whatnot and have had a few others over the years for fun. Anyway, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2015 grey lc with 38,000 miles certified in excellent condition for 60k. Man that's a lot of money. Just wondering if that seems like a fair price or if I should keep looking around?
I really do like the 200 series, what a solid vehicle!
Any thoughts appreciated, thanks,
Jas

My only suggestion would be that you may benefit from ignoring whether it's a 2013, 14 or 15. If you are OK with 38k miles, I suspect you could find a 13 or 14 with those same miles and save some $$. Same vehicle...same miles, and assuming same condition... Why not?

For example... Here's a 2013 Certified with only 25k miles....for $52,700. That's SEVEN THOUSAND you aren't paying, and a whopping 13k fewer miles besides. Not much difference between a 2013 and a 2015...as significant updates came in 2013 and 2016.

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser V8, $52700 - Cars.com | Cars.com

Last edited:
My only suggestion would be that you may benefit from ignoring whether it's a 2013, 14 or 15. If you are OK with 38k miles, I suspect you could find a 13 or 14 with those same miles and save some $$. Same vehicle...same miles, and assuming same condition... Why not?

For example... Here's a 2013 Certified with only 25k miles....for $52,700. That's SEVEN THOUSAND you aren't paying, and a whopping 13k fewer miles besides. Not much difference between a 2013 and a 2015...as significant updates came in 2013 and 2016.

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser V8, $52700 - Cars.com | Cars.com
That's the same logic I used when I bought mine. There was a local 15', certified for $61,000 or a 13' certified for $50,000 4 hours away. I chose the money saving route.

Also, take it from someone who bought a lot of new cars. The sticker price is always negotiable. If this is at a Toyota dealer, they will work with you to sell you the car. I was able to knock off $6K off sticker from my 2016 purchase.

Well, from kicking a lot of tires yesterday, I arrived at the conclusion that I'm better off trying to find an older one for less or heck, just buying a new 16 for a good price... I was surprised how a couple of the vehicles I looked at were not even cleaned, and I could not stomach buying a 60k used car that wasn't even detailed! It just put off a bad vibe.
I'm going to keep up the search but could end up with a new 16, we'll see. As I was driving to dinner last night in my 96 fzj80, I was reminded of how well built these things are and have always been!

Hi all, I've been lurking in the 200 forum for a while, learning and trying to decide...
Thanks for starting this thread, Jas -
I am in the same boat, pondering options for a new personal driver. My partner and I have a small fleet of old/older LCs, but my driver is headed to Texas as a forward-based asset to support our shop partners, which leaves me in a quandary...what to buy to replace it.

Leaning toward a 2013 or later LC 200 - used/certified or new. The darn things hold their value well and "it" will get some Terrain Tamer upgrades (HP brakes, Harrop ELockers, SmartCoil suspension), so used probably makes more sense. That said, I am a little OCD on condition, history and color.

Hope this thread keeps going as readers post experience in finding, negotiating and closing their purchases - it will help the community and make it more likely we all make a good decision for our needs and get a good deal.

I can live with the 2016-17's monster grille, but have questons about the 8 speed transmission. Anyone have intel on this point?

Cheers,
Ward

Last edited:
Hey Ward - there have been some 16-17 tranny issues reported on this board. A few, but no obvious sign of a cause yet. There are also a few other threads in the 200 classified section of the deals and prices paid. Folks are starting to be able to get 13's at or slightly below $40k, but you got to have your sniper eyes on...

Hey Ward - there have been some 16-17 tranny issues reported on this board. A few, but no obvious sign of a cause yet. There are also a few other threads in the 200 classified section of the deals and prices paid. Folks are starting to be able to get 13's at or slightly below $40k, but you got to have your sniper eyes on...
Thanks, have seen some but not a lot of hard information - one Club Lexus mention of a buy-back. No sigh of TSB or recall. I am a little leery of "new" Toyota technologies. We bought a new Highlander Hybrid in 2006, after the drivetrain had been in the Lexus RX for two years (as I recall). The truck had a strange habit of going dead after a drive of moderate distance (an hour or less). No power anywhere and no start. After a rest period of 1 to 12 hours, the vehicle would start right up and operate properly until next time - once or twice a month.

Dealer, zone, etc. had no joy for me as a) I could not replicate on demand, b) they could not observe the condition, c) Toyota did not publicize/acknowledge a problem. I sold the vehicle to a guy (disclosing the issue) for a fair price and moved on.

Didn't hold it against Toyota as it was a new, relatively rare model at the time with a very complicated drivetrain and a "ghost" in the system. The shifting behavior reported seems not to be transient, so, hopefully, the LC 8 speed will get figured out with transparency and alacrity. I am hopeful that a 2016-17 will be in my future.

That said, half price for a four year old (and an "old school" six speed) is not bad....

Last edited:
I found you a much better truck for the price! 2015. Black/Black. 48k miles good service records $54,919. Think you'll have some negotiating power on that one as its at a Land Rover dealer.

Pre-Owned 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr 4WD Four Wheel Drive SUV

As another poster said ignore the years 13-15 and just find the truck you like for the price you want. The one I found you is a 2015 to match year for year but there are many more if you expand the years.

I found you a much better truck for the price! 2015. Black/Black. 48k miles good service records $54,919. Think you'll have some negotiating power on that one as its at a Land Rover dealer.

Pre-Owned 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr 4WD Four Wheel Drive SUV

As another poster said ignore the years 13-15 and just find the truck you like for the price you want. The one I found you is a 2015 to match year for year but there are many more if you expand the years.
Good point, thanks!

hmm. i don't want to be a dissenter for the sake of dissenting... i've heard about the tranny problems with the 2016+ models. but it's worth mentioning that i bought mine in early january of 2016 and (coming up on a full year) i haven't had those issues with my 8-speed *knock on wood*.

to be honest, i haven't had any problems at all with mine. maybe i'm lucky - hell, i hope i am - but i've not had a single issue. i could be in the minority... or maybe the MUD forum is a larger than normal cross section of LC 200 owners that we see problems more than the general population. not sure.

what i am sure of is that i've been collecting the stats on the number of 200's for 6+ months and the number on here far outweighs any other forum i've been on, so i'm hopeful that, even with the tranny issues, it may be isolated to a few... :cautious: please.

Last edited:
hmm. i don't want to be a dissenter for the sake of dissenting... i've heard about the tranny problems with the 2016+ models. but it's worth mentioning that i bought mine in early january of 2016 and (coming up on a full year) i haven't had those issues with my 8-speed *knock on wood*.

to be honest, i haven't had any problems at all with mine. maybe i'm lucky - hell, i hope i am - but i've not had a single issue. maybe i'm in the minority... or maybe the MUD forum is a larger than normal cross section of LC 200 owners that we see problems more than the general population. not sure.

what i am sure of is that i've been collecting the stats on the number of 200's for 6+ months and the number on here far outweighs any other forum i've been on, so i'm hopeful that, even with the tranny issues, it may be isolated to a few... :cautious: please.
@ikeb -
Thanks for the positive comment on your '16. Some scary stories out there on the latest 200s, but not a lot of hard data points. I will continue to monitor the forums and other websites with an eye toward the tranny and suspension (there are rumors of conflicts with aftermarket kits).

We are early in the process and I am a patient guy (sometimes) so a purchase could take a while - perhaps well into middle or end of '17 model year. One aspect of my purchase is the truck as a tool in our business - for product testing/development/promotion, but also for long business trips and as a mobile office.

New or used, a factor in this will be my wife's color preference - both paint and interior. Business or not, if she is going to ride in it, she will have veto authority. I raised the possibility of the black one that @Redbull suggested and she shot it down: "it won't hide the dirt" :(

Last edited:
Here is a silver one I was looking at, my wife insists on black :D

2013, 53k miles, $51,550, Silver/black

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

Silver is the ultimate color for hiding dirt! And it's on the west coast!
When spouses get involved.....
Yes, saw that - some days she is ok with black interior, some days not. Some days OK with used, some days used OK if certified, some days she's like "why not buy a new one?"

I am watching the sites and aggregators, trying to get the rythm of this thing....

Thanks!

Just as an added data point, 2016 here, 21k miles, no transmission problems. I bought it in October with 17k miles, only service history outside of normal maintenance was the rotors had to be replaced due to warping (no idea what that's about).

Just as an added data point, 2016 here, 21k miles, no transmission problems. I bought it in October with 17k miles, only service history outside of normal maintenance was the rotors had to be replaced due to warping (no idea what that's about).
Thanks @LALC I am sitting squarely on the fence and need more data like this. Patience is a virtue, but I have some challenges in that area - the items below are already on the shelf and set aside, waiting for the new / almost new truck. Happy to go either way once I have enough data.

We have put a number of the Terrain Tamer brake packages on everything from 40s to 200s and FJCs. On the heavier rigs, OEM seems to face challenges with heat, stopping power, pedal feel, wear and (as in your case) warpage.

I really appreciate the input from owners of new and "adopted" 200 Series. Thanks :cheers:

Terrain Tamer HP Brakes - Slotted/Drilled Rotors & Composite Pads
TT Brake Pkg.png

Terrain Tamer Suspension Kit with Pro SHocks / Smart Coils
upload_2016-12-26_9-11-25.png

Harrop/Eaton ELockers
upload_2016-12-26_9-16-36.png

Last edited:
Thanks @LALC I am sitting squarely on the fence and need more data like this. Patience is a virtue, but I have some challenges in that area - the items below are already on the shelf and set aside, waiting for the new / almost new truck. Happy to go either way once I have enough data.

We have put a number of the Terrain Tamer brake packages on everything from 40s to 200s and FJCs. On the heavier rigs, OEM seems to face challenges with heat, stopping power, pedal feel, wear and (as in your case) warpage.

I really appreciate the input from owners of new and "adopted" 200 Series. Thanks :cheers:

Terrain Tamer Suspension Kit with Pro SHocks / Smart Coils
View attachment 1371876

Terrain Tamer HP Brakes - Slotted/Drilled Rotors & Composite Pads

View attachment 1371877
Harrop/Eaton ELockers
View attachment 1371880

FWIW, there are at least 17 2016 and 2017 owners on this forum (that's from the last tally i did). they might be able to add color to this... i'd be curious how many have had transmission problems.

there have also been more new land cruisers sold in 2016 (3249) in the US than the previous 6 years. if the problems were pervasive, i'd think toyota would issue a TSB/recall. i suppose it's possible that they haven't hit the threshold yet, but my guess is it's not as common as the forum makes it seem due to the smaller numbers (17 vs 3249) but 100% of those smaller numbers being 200 owners. :)

i mean, if 3 people on this forum had issues, that's nearly 18% of all 2016+ owners here... but 3 out of 3249 is a REALLY small number. LOL

Good points, much appreciated.

Data is valuable, but more data points produce a series that can be used to make better informed decisions.

I need (well, want) more data on these rigs.

Was not aware of that jump in sales this year. Any readers have opinions on why the increase?

because the new exterior styling is purdy. at least that's why i bought it instead of the 2015 they had on the lot at the same time. :)

**EDIT

i also liked the button layout a lot better than the previous models and the faux wood looks less faux-y, if that's a thing.

i'm not sure if the overhead view was available prior to 2016, but that's also i feature i love... it makes pulling into tight parking spaces a lot easier when you can see front, sides, and rear of the truck all at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom