Thoughts on a 2000 Trooper 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm 100% ignorant other than some type of ball joint flip/spacer for added front lift.

I'm looking at one with 140k, mint condition. How is the build quality and what type of tid bits need to be address with that many miles? What type of aftermarket support is out there as far as gears, lockers etc? I looked at Calmini and didn't see much other than springs for lifts.

Ben,

I knew you would come to the dark side eventually...:)

Calmini doesn't offer a whole lot. Try www.independent4x.com

There are a decent number of aftermarket parts available through this site. If I recall, the 2000 Trooper has a D44 LSD. (You should be familiar with that...lmao.) Powertrax, Aussie, and ARB all make lockers (front and rear) for the Trooper.

As far as lift goes, it was similar to doing mine. Coils in the rear, torsion bar in the front. You'll need the bump stops, t-brake extender and spacers. Matt at Indy sells a decent OME lift kit for less than $700.

If I were you, I'd call Matt at Indy4x to ask questions. He is usually happy to talk about anything Isuzu. Also, make sure to search Planetisuzoo.com There is a wealth of knowledge there.

140K isn't bad on the engine, as long as there is proof of maintenance. 2 of the biggest issues you'll have are 1. oil burning 2. ticking (lifter problem). I'm already seeing that at 50K.

rear axle is a modified Isuzu Corporate 12 bolt (1.5" axle shafts, strength on par with a D60)

and x2 on checking out Indy4x...great vendor

good luck with it if you do get it :cheers:

I'm still up in the air about it but I have two weeks to think it over.

Yep it's got the 12bolt modified with a limited slip, 10 bolt ifs front. The front cv boots are blown and sounds like the CV's have run dry and need to be replaced. The GM :( transmission seems to shift well, no selector sensor issues that I've read about and the down hill assist control still works.

The only reservations I have is that there is a lot more drive train noise than I'm use to. I have to remember though that Isuzu is more like a TRUCK than the high dollar Land Cruiser.

Trooper

there great trucks- i had two a 1992 and a 1999 they both went 200K miles with a few starters and timing belts. heavy transmissions in the manuel and heavy rearends. I went off road as much as possible, soft ride, reliable, well built. They both out preformed my 2000 landcruiser. No elcetronic active track etc that ensures you will get stuck. I am going to get another one soon.

I lifted mine with a twist in the torsion bars and a spacer on the rear ciol and 265-75-16 tires.

i had two. Last one i had was a 96' and it was a great truck. Honestly when i close the door on my 80 vs. closing the door on the trooper, the trooper felt more solid.

It was a bit tippy in turns. Also, don't know if they have changed the motor any, but the small oilers for the lifters would get gummed up really easy (isuzu mechanic told me they were just too small) and you would get a ticking sound. Every 3rd oil change i would run a bottle of marvel mystery oil in to clean the top end. Kept the ticking away and it ran like a champ!

Did good offroad too. I would get another if the opportunity presented itself.

2000 model needs Fuel pressure regulator $40
The driveshafts need to be pulled and greased and put back in,
Run sea foam through the motor 20 miles before your oil change to get the oil rings clean in the pistons so it doesn't eat oil, and the tranny cooler lines tend to leak under the front skid plate.
Oh yeah, they loose intake gaskets allot, $30 parts.

anything happen with this?

we have 3 troopers. A 91 with close to 300k a 97 with 220k and a 01 with 175k. They really are VERY underrated trucks. Only thing to look out for is the 3.5 in the 98-01 troopers with the oil burning issue(fixed late 01) and the pos gm automatic transmission. Only our 91 has had the transmission rebuilt and all the other ones just need oil changes and checking the fluids.

VERY reliable trucks, cheap to maintain to.

Haha... Guess these guys arent here no more?

I'm looking at the Trooper ALOT!!!! Love the 20mpg's that it gets and its a 4 door. So I'm on the fence... I'm getting rid of the 91 cruiser and I'm keeping the 97 runner and the 85 Cruiser... :frown: Mileage is killing me though.

My uncle had an 88 or 89 and he treated it like he hated it... And it came back for more. Sold it to a guy who never maintained it and it lasted 3 years till it quit.

The :princess: is really digging the 98 style one...

Expeditions West: 1998 Isuzu Trooper, OME, Old Man Emu, 285/75 R16

I'm just scared of the Auto tranny and any maintenance issues.. She would rather not get an 88-89 but I'm looking at reliability...
Are the 2000's the same as the 98's?

Talk to me Indcruz...

Haha... Guess these guys arent here no more?

I'm looking at the Trooper ALOT!!!! Love the 20mpg's that it gets and its a 4 door. So I'm on the fence... I'm getting rid of the 91 cruiser and I'm keeping the 97 runner and the 85 Cruiser... :frown: Mileage is killing me though.

My uncle had an 88 or 89 and he treated it like he hated it... And it came back for more. Sold it to a guy who never maintained it and it lasted 3 years till it quit.

The :princess: is really digging the 98 style one...

Expeditions West: 1998 Isuzu Trooper, OME, Old Man Emu, 285/75 R16

I'm just scared of the Auto tranny and any maintenance issues.. She would rather not get an 88-89 but I'm looking at reliability...
Are the 2000's the same as the 98's?

Talk to me Indcruz...

Yes 98 is the same as 2000s. Only differences are later in 01 to the end of production, which had the oil burning issue fixed and I believe the last year got asian transmissions.

Our 97 got totaled last year sometime with about 235k on it. We bought it with 150k and replaced the brakes once and tires once from 150k-235k. Thats it. If you get a limited you get as much lux as a land cruiser(much better/biger sunroof, leather, heated/power seats, power folding mirrors, ect.).

IMG_5885.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

Miss it:frown:

My dad still drives a 00 trooper with 204k on it daily. Put gas and oil in it and it will go forever.

BTW we have never adjusted the valves on ours like they recommend and the 00 has never made a sound. However the older 3.2l engine ticked like a time bomb.

Not trying to thread hijack, but we recently purchased a 2000 trooper 4x4 "ToD" with an auto and 3.5. From quickly reading on here, sounds like this is not the best combo. Like the OP, I know nothing about them, as I come from the toyota world. We have enjoyed it, especially the cargo space and it just feels well built. Is there a FAQ somewhere that I can spend some time reading?

Not trying to thread hijack, but we recently purchased a 2000 trooper 4x4 "ToD" with an auto and 3.5. From quickly reading on here, sounds like this is not the best combo. Like the OP, I know nothing about them, as I come from the toyota world. We have enjoyed it, especially the cargo space and it just feels well built. Is there a FAQ somewhere that I can spend some time reading?

Planetisuzoo.com :: Index
Not really a FAQ but just look around on there.

The automatics are fine. They usually last about 200k before they start having issues if they have not been looked after.

All 3 of our troopers have been automatic and only one has failed at 265k.

The trooper is a great truck. The earlier models (kleenex box style) had a problem with cracking the head. I had one and blew the HG and the head was cracked. Replaced the hG and head, and it did it again. Sold it. Between that major work it was bullet proof.

Then i purchased a 97 model and loved it! Built solid, just had a little ticking which marvel mystery oil cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom