Thoughts and ideas 78 Fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cleaning the ID plate for the shift pattern on the glove box. Would like to polish the aluminum without removing the paint

AD6DDFBA-617F-4192-BC8C-B496FF57B574.jpeg

I don't think it's possible, but you could try some 2000 grit rubbing compound (or the finest compound you can find - but no coarser than 2000) and gently buff it by hand with a soft cloth and see what happens. Doing this might brighten the black, too, which will improve the contrast.

I'm not sure it's going to be possible, but this sounds like a job for the restoration expertise of @ToyotaMatt ?
Cleaning the ID plate for the shift pattern on the glove box. Would like to polish the aluminum without removing the paint

View attachment 2576175
I don't think it's possible, but you could try some 2000 grit rubbing compound (or the finest compound you can find - but no coarser than 2000) and gently buff it by hand with a soft cloth and see what happens. Doing this might brighten the black, too, which will improve the contrast.

The black ink is from a octopus 🐙 in the ocean

Yes like 2000 leagues under the sea

It’s applied on top of the bare aluminum
Then baked on using a top Secert skunk works trade craft method to bond and adhere it

Since it’s on top the metal and finest wet sanding u think you are doing to polish it is actually removing ball black ink first before the alloy metal polish

Hence your destroying your vintage plate

My advice is simple :

Keeep the current one as is put on your desk at work as a conversation piece with the boss

You have the most common shift pattern

Just go spent $24.20. And buy a new plate

It will look better and well job done done deal foe less then your favorite handle of .......drink

My 2 common cents

if you want this look below , please consider my above prescribed advice ......... :cool: :beer:

C7E8B54C-4E06-4E3C-93D5-FB9AE0C045AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine might have been in a little better shape than yours but I just used a meguiars cut cleaner then just used some regular old car wax to bring back the shine. It's one of the few things I left a little patina on. I kinda like the look, but maybe one day Ill buy a new one.
6485DA8D-033E-4C02-9E5D-BC03E61ED8DE_1_105_c.jpeg

Head up I noticed that the ink/paint was fading and the aluminum shining through

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom