Thought you'd like this one........! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For any of you who wonder why I always need "a little help" with my cruiser I'll share my latest mechanical mayhem. Ever since you guys got me back on the road with that used Tranny my rig has been running a little on the warm side. One thing about that cruiser that I liked was no matter what the weather and driving conditions that thing would never get even close to the upper half of the temp gauge. I was so concerned about it that at one point I drained half the coolant and blocked off the radiator with cardboard and was finally able to get up high enough to know it wasn't a bad sender or loose electrical connection. Everything was working- that engine just didn't get hot. So, that's why I've been concerned about the higher readings since it's been back out on the road. So I got lucky and found a brand new Toyota OEM fan clutch on Mud for a great price. And since I figured I could do this without begging for help again I decided to go all out and replace the water pump too! HeII, why not? It's just a water pump right? I've been working on it after work every night now for 4 days and I am proud to say that............that old water pump should be finally out of my rig....maybe tomorrow night!! I won't go into details but I think the pump that's in there is the original. I've had to break almost every one of the hose clamps- those old style that look like they're made out of a bolt and some bailing wire? They're all shot. Also cracked the thermostat housing after trying for 3 hours to free up the bolts which were all really rusted solid. Anyhow, I now have 2 cardboard boxes of stuff I have removed already and tomorrow is the day- that pump comes out! One way or another!! Just wanted to share how I've been spending my spare time. Good Mechanics and Carpenters- I have the greatest respect for them. It is an art. And my back is jacked up- that reminds me, medication time! ;):cheers:

PS- Hope your weekend was more fun than mine....! :clap:

Don't feel too bad.. the 3FE has the most crowded front end of all landcruiser straight six motors IMOP!!!

I have found that often it is just easier to pull the radiator on some operations- although I don't think I have ever had to on the one FJ62 I owned.

Keep up the good work!!!!

Hehehe you will be justly rewarded for your work I'm sure! Best of luck!!!!! :cheers:

Really ?? That's great! What time will you be here tomorrow?? :meh: Isn't that the reward you mentioned?? No? :crybaby: Oh well, I'll get there

Anyone who wishes to sit and drink beer and point to things under my hood and make comments or laugh and stuff are more than welcome to come by on Sunday. I'd do more work after the meeting Saturday but alas, I have a wedding to attend! :cool:

Truth is, I could use some help from 3FE folks on exactly how all that stuff goes back together! Also, when I button it all back up I'm gonna fill it with water first to flush out as much rust and grime as possible and check for leaks before I drain and fill with antifreeze. Anyone know what would be good for adding to the water to get a real good flush of the system? :hmm::idea:

Also, anyone have a pressure washer I can borrow for a little while? I need to really blast the front of that engine before I reassemble.

Last edited:
For flushing I recommend one of the inline "t's" which has a male garden hose end on it that goes into a 5/8 heater line- I like the lower coolant line on the oil cooler as it works as a good drain spot, up high works good too. Hook up to a hose after draining and pop the block drain plug, radiator drain and cap,flush away- open and close those to change flow direction. Don't overpressurize as too much pressure could cause problems. Replace plugs,fill with water,put cap on, run and get it warm, drain and then refill with distilled and antifreeze mix (50/50 is recommended). Use a flush if you have a lot of scale or crud built up inside.

Shame on me for venting about 3/10 of a second blast of R12 into the atmosphere. Turns out there wasn't much of anything left in there. Nothing left on the front of that engine, except 20 years of dirt. Front crank seal looks dry and no leakage around the cover. Now to scrub, blast, clean and start going in the other direction. :) Oh yes, and spend some money.

Bumper set for June 16th delivery! Danny Express :steer:

Really Danny? The 16th?? That would be good because I'll still be here and can help hide it on the side of the house. Wally really came through on that one. Gotta figure out how to get the money and pay the guy. I miss you guys...you and Wally should come run the McGrew trail with us?! Wally still got the white pick-up?? Have him tow his 40 and ride with him...! I know, it's a long way...it had to be, I needed to get away from those people.

We be leaving the 15th early and should be there around noonish the 16th. I'll give you a call on the cell phone(answer it this time and don't hang up on me!) when we get close to Medford. I think that is the destination.

We be leaving the 15th early and should be there around noonish the 16th. I'll give you a call on the cell phone(answer it this time and don't hang up on me!) when we get close to Medford. I think that is the destination.

OK, Danny. Have you seen the bumper/winch yet? BTW, don't suppose you're passing by Marlin Crawlers in Fresno are you? Or is it I-5 all the way?

OK, Danny. Have you seen the bumper/winch yet? BTW, don't suppose you're passing by Marlin Crawlers in Fresno are you? Or is it I-5 all the way?

Bumper is at Laurie's awaiting loading up day. I-5 all the way! :steer:

OK...OK...But, have you seen it?

Yes I did. Looked to me like it needed some enhancing/beefing up ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom