Thought you might enjoy: Full interior/exterior 100 Series detailing. Link with tons of photos. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought some of you might enjoy this: (Forgive the guy for saying it was ’97):

"The Whole Enchilada" 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser gets it all - Honda-Tech

I found this while looking up some cleaning hints/tips and info on giving my ’98’s paint some new life and getting rid of a water stain coming from where PO had a broken antenna for a while, before I intsall my snorkel.
Some of his before/after shots should give hope to anyone who picks up or is thinking of picking up a dirty 100. Really detailed with good info and a ton of photos.

**If this has been posted before, Mods, definitely take it down, I did search first though.

That was probably a 700-800 dollar detail, but boy did that rig need it!

If it's mechanically sound, that beast is ready for another 17 years on the road.

That was probably a 700-800 dollar detail, but boy did that rig need it!

If it's mechanically sound, that beast is ready for another 17 years on the road.
Yeah he went to town on it. I'm not overly concerned with how mine looks as long as it's clean and doesn't smell, but that post made me want to go buy a rotary buffer and also try leatherique on the front seats.

Hummm I dont think it looked to bad :) compared to the way my interior looked when I bought my 2000 with 189K on it

I need one of my family members to get into car detailing so they can do this for me. I don't know that I have the attention span to detail my rig like this and have never looked into how much it would cost to have done locally. (likely more than I'm willing to spend though...)

I vacuum it and wash it but I've never been great at waxing my vehicles, mine could be improved with a good detail. My wife was hassling me the other day that I still have red dirt in the door sill (on the pass side, my side is clean) from my trip to southern utah last July.

The tools to do a really good job are pretty reasonable. Buy a Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Buffer, a small assortment of pads, and some good polishes and you would be really surprised what you can do yourself. You can get all of that for under $200, and with that machine you can't mess the paint up. Stay away from rotary buffing machines unless you have experience. They can burn through the clear coat and damage your paint.

I use Chemical Guys products on my Mustang, and have been very satisfied with the results I've gotten from 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon every few months. The paint on my car looks better now than it did the day it rolled off the showroom floor. You can see some reflection shots below.

View media item 39266

Last edited:
My new to me '98 is twice as dirty! If I can get it as nice as where this one started, I'll be happy!

There's a guy locally that gets flown around the country to perform this level of detail on Ferrari's, porsches, etc.

I love this stuff. Paint restorations are particularly difficult, although the end results are stunning.

I'm always amazed at what comes off the leather with just water. Using that stuff might make me vomit.
I detailed cars in college and after, and by far the nastiest place was the steering wheel and shifter on most cars. Knobs and stuff too....but not as bad as the steering wheel.

This gives perspective on how a used vehicle can be presented on the used market. A few hundred dollars in detailing can present a under-maintained and not-loved Land Cruiser as pristine. I would take notice when shopping if a vehicle was filthy, but I would be hesitant to take the appearance of a clean vehicle as evidence of a loved and maintained vehicle.
Good tips and inspiration in the write up. Thanks for posting.

This gives perspective on how a used vehicle can be presented on the used market. A few hundred dollars in detailing can present a under-maintained and not-loved Land Cruiser as pristine. I would take notice when shopping if a vehicle was filthy, but I would be hesitant to take the appearance of a clean vehicle as evidence of a loved and maintained vehicle.
Good tips and inspiration in the write up. Thanks for posting.

When I bought my 99 it had to have been professionally detailed and it was a major reason why I was motivated to fly across the country to buy it sight unseen. It may only be aesthetic,, but it shows the owner (seller) cares and can help highlight any potential problem areas. I flipped cars for a while during/after college and I made sure to detail them as best I could. It really makes a difference to prospective buyers.

After watching what this guy did to the LC this would not be your typical detail job this would be more of a restoration job if anything he did an awesome job to the LC. The condition to start with was not too bad i have seen 10x worst than this some looks like a dumpster IMO.

The tools to do a really good job are pretty reasonable. Buy a Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Buffer, a small assortment of pads, and some good polishes and you would be really surprised what you can do yourself. You can get all of that for under $200, and with that machine you can't mess the paint up. Stay away from rotary buffing machines unless you have experience. They can burn through the clear coat and damage your paint.

I use Chemical Guys products on my Mustang, and have been very satisfied with the results I've gotten from 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon every few months. The paint on my car looks better now than it did the day it rolled off the showroom floor. You can see some reflection shots below.

View media item 39266

Any recomendations on basic stuff from Chemical Guys? You like better than the McGuire's stuff I would find at my local paint supply shop?

Wow that's awesome. My engine bay is reddish from the soil in the mountains here... Any recommendations on tackling that? I'd really like a clean engine bay again... Also, I've really got to get on the leatherique train, just hard to have that much down time when it's my only daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom