Thought this was interesting, curious what y'all think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Funny you post this. I’ve read a few articles and many comments on this topic just recently. I find it quite interesting, and at first glance it seems rational.

I think the overall point I’ve come to is that the LC is a global vehicle that is a go anywhere for any reason at any time vehicle. It’s not necessarily meant to handle Rubicon or other similar type trails/destinations.

In other parts of the world, the LC is spec’d out and available in lower trim levels and is made predominantly for non North American markets. It seems like we’re lucky to even get them IMO b/c it doesn’t seem like Toyota makes anything off of them from our Continent.

I’ve been curious and hopeful that should the Bronco come back in a retro style that appeases the masses (like the Mustang and Camaro have achieved) that maybe Toyota would bring over the 70 series versions for Americans to delight in. Unfortunately I think our demo is too small to warrant Toyota spending time and $ in getting the vehicle to pass our safety standards.

But one could only dream. I know I’d buy a 70 series in a heartbeat if I could.

I have been reading a lot about this over the last few weeks too (got the itch for a 200 real bad). I think if we can't have the 70 then why not save all of the unnecessaries for the LX and let the Land Cruiser be what it is for essentially every other market out there. I for one don't need a refrigerated center console, large screen TVs mounted to the backs of my seats, heated and cooled seats, or really any of the other electronic gizmos though they are pretty cool.

All I really want is a not quite mid size, not quite large SUV that is built like a tank and can take the hard line.

... Also it really bothers me when a reviewer complains about the tires, few vehicles come off the lot with the tire you want.

Last edited:
He is a writer and is entitled to his opinions but the land cruiser is a legit beast even without lockers it can do a lot and the reliability for the long haul makes it a worthy investment.

The rest of the competition is only good pre100k miles so it depends what you're measuring...

My 2 cents.

I think the North American Land Cruiser needs to be updated or lowered in price. It is a joke compared to the LC the rest of the world gets.
Locked with twin turbo diesel engine.

When I purchased my 200 by private party, I remember the seller asking if this was my first cruiser. He then told me that I would love the 200, and I proceeded to take my new LC on an 800 mile road trip around Texas. Without a doubt, I LOVE my 200, and am a little biased in my opinions. Some supporting arguments FOR the LC sticking around:

The Land Cruiser has a reliability score of 100 (exceptional) source: Toyota Land Cruiser Reliability - Dashboard Light

"Most US Land Cruiser buyers want: QDR - Quality, Dependability, Reliability. It also has to be super safe and hold its value. All things the Land Cruiser does better than just about anything else you can buy. Is it dated? yeah...no one who buys one cares." Jalopnik source: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/why-the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-so-expensive-1715003811

"Everyone says they want a durable car, but what they really want a reliable one." In my opinion, you can substitute a LC for the old MB in the article. R&T source: There Is a Difference Between a Reliable Car and a Durable Car

I also believe the Land Cruiser to be a great "stealth wealth" vehicle. I am not wealthy by any means, but I appreciate the understatement a Toyota badge holds vs a Land Rover, Audi or MB. The general non-MUD public has no idea how much a new LC costs, but understands the model's reputation for reliability and longevity is without parallel in modern vehicles. Mysteriously, someone somewhere decides to buy a new LC off the dealer lot over a Land Rover, Audi, or MB badge that cost around the same amount. I'd argue that's a smart money bet compared to peers of this "tier": its less prone to failure, owned longer and driven farther before inevitable retirement.

Every week I play the "Land Cruiser Game" which consists of spotting a newer (200 series) LC around town- Lexus doesn't count because they sell in much higher volume than the LC. I average about one per week. Its a niche, low production, low sales volume vehicle. Toyota sells TONS of Tacos and 4Runners that are marketed for the wide American consumer audience- and they don't want to cannibalize/ encroach any of those big sales numbers with a LC.

The fuel efficiency is terrible and the gas tank is small. It takes forever to accelerate and stop. Its nowhere as big from the inside as the exterior would have you believe. Electronics and tech are dated. Its a remnant from the old guard of body-on-frame SUVs derived from trucks and cheap gas. Its unsuited to compete for mass affection against lower cost, more efficient, family friendly SUVs and trendy crossovers of today.

All that said, I wouldn't give up my 200 series Land Cruiser except for another one. A Land Cruiser is a hell of a thing.

I've actually been noticing more 200 around town. Could be I see the same ones that share my commute. They are growing on me. I tried to convince the wife to get one over her 4Runner. She couldn't grasp the concept of getting a 2008-9 for the same price as a 6-7 year newer 4Runner.

I've actually been noticing more 200 around town. Could be I see the same ones that share my commute. They are growing on me. I tried to convince the wife to get one over her 4Runner. She couldn't grasp the concept of getting a 2008-9 for the same price as a 6-7 year newer 4Runner.

I never thought I'd pay so much for a dated used vehicle with so many miles, but I'd do it again.

@Mr Cimarron You are welcome to drive mine if it will help your case for one!

I do think some changes could be made for the better in future models, but the Land Cruiser will always be an icon no matter what. I love the following they have and you always see Jeep owners and even Harley Davidson owners waiving at each other on the road and I see that and do that all the time driving my Cruiser. It's just an awesome thing! There's not very many vehicles you'll drive where you'll get that experience.

The writer lost me the moment he suggested a Land Rover as a seriously great 4x4. Doesn't he know: if you intend to go into the jungle, get a Land Rover.....if you intend to return from that jungle, get a Land Cruiser.

Having said that, the new one is WAY too luxurious. I wish they would bring over the 79 Diesel and let us have a crack at it. Heck, I wish they'd just bring a relatively base J200 over here (really only need heated seats) and let us mod it as necessary.

Remember there are other significant regional markets for the LC. When I first read this some time back the author was challenged over several facts and much higher volumes in other parts of the world.

I bought a forerunner for my son and we sold it as his head was touching the roof and there was limited down travel on seat. Back leg room and exit/ entry to back was poor. Economical though! NOT a LC replacement - ever!!

Cim, I feel the same way. They are growing on me. Just like the 100 did. It took a while to sell my wife on the "looks" of a 80 series and now a 100 series. I haven't swayed her on a 200..yet. She is due a "new" car though as she is selling her TDI Sportwagen back by next year. I think she's got her mind on a 100 at least, but I'd like to get something a bit newer if possible. Otherwise it is trying to find a low mileage 100.

Cim, I feel the same way. They are growing on me. Just like the 100 did. It took a while to sell my wife on the "looks" of a 80 series and now a 100 series. I haven't swayed her on a 200..yet. She is due a "new" car though as she is selling her TDI Sportwagen back by next year. I think she's got her mind on a 100 at least, but I'd like to get something a bit newer if possible. Otherwise it is trying to find a low mileage 100.
Wife made a nice chunk of change selling her TDI back to VW. At first we were going to keep it but when the settlement number came in it was a easy choice. However it’s a big change in fuel cost.

We were going to keep hers, just because she loves the thing, but since then changed our mind after reading horror stories about the "fix" for the emissions that took place in Europe already. The fact that we will be getting $6K less than what we paid for it 5 years ago and 40K miles is too good to pass up. Yeah, we'll miss the MPG for sure. We drove it back from Fort Stockton one year after camping in Big Bend and were loaded with camping gear and dogs and still had over 1/4 tank of gas when we got home after filling up in Fort Stockton. Crazy...

From a parts guy, the issue with newer cruisers is their lack of parts. Mr T does not keep parts around indefinitely. You think 03+ 100 parts are had to find, good luck wth 200s. Much smaller batch available in the US. When I get one, it will be new/almost new. Never tan interior, either gray or black, those colors have a longer lifespan than tan.

I too have noticed more on the road but I wonder if that is because TX has cheap gas, relatively speaking.

If Mr T really wanted to shake the market, bring in a diesel 7x. Every 60, 62, 25+ YO 70, 80, and 100 would be for sale and cause used cruiser prices to plummet.

From a parts guy, the issue with newer cruisers is their lack of parts. Mr T does not keep parts around indefinitely. You think 03+ 100 parts are had to find, good luck wth 200s. Much smaller batch available in the US. When I get one, it will be new/almost new. Never tan interior, either gray or black, those colors have a longer lifespan than tan.

I too have noticed more on the road but I wonder if that is because TX has cheap gas, relatively speaking.

If Mr T really wanted to shake the market, bring in a diesel 7x. Every 60, 62, 25+ YO 70, 80, and 100 would be for sale and cause used cruiser prices to plummet.

I would sell a kidney (possibly BOTH) for diesel 7x!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom