Thought my heater sucked, but my... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought my heater just sorta sucked. It’s a common theme around here lately. But I was encouraged by the many responses about just how hot these FJ60 heaters run.

Suppose I was a bit anxious to crank open the thermostat housing because of the “bolts seizing” threads here. Luckily, they came right out.

And lo and behold, the thermostat is stuck in the open position.

Worst of all, PO paid nearly $1,200 bucks at a local shop for a new radiator not long ago.

It’s clear that thermostat, bolts, gaskets and associated hoses were not replaced during the radiator replacement. Perhaps it was working then (not even 6 months ago) but I doubt it. Simply amazing.

Anyway, I finished cleaning up all parts, and now I’m just waiting on my shipment from PartSouq w to get back on the road.

Thanks again to the Board!

AB03466B-4B8D-459F-9E29-9FD7CF5A978A.jpeg
EA5F7409-CF13-4353-8B26-BF8653BD7BE2.jpeg
D47E8612-343B-43B8-BF07-46277F85B969.jpeg
C44BC559-44C5-42C6-8A7B-5A7EC9AEC2BB.jpeg

96F577C0-FA2C-449D-A747-0E417D7EA765.jpeg

Good idea @Michael Hanson Do you remember which hose size you got, if you have one installed?

• Small - for hoses measuring 1 1/8” to 1 3/8”
• Medium - for hoses measuring 1 1/2" to 1 3/4”
• Large - for hoses measuring 1 7/8” to 2 1/8”

I know the medium hoses were 9.8 -10 mm from Advancd auto. Auto zone had 9.5 mm and it did not work. as my cruisers get older they seem to wear out thermostats quicker,Gano fliters are a must and trap rubber parts and calcium and metal pieces. Mike

I thought reference to a “Gano filter” was some sort of inside joke that as a noob I wasn’t clued in to.
But alas, they are real and look like a super idea for these old rigs.
Love the clear idea too.
37C7E1F2-B561-4BDD-9F29-9F8559B65693.jpeg

After you replace the t-stat check the dickfer. It’s a common failure point.

Should the dickfer go above or below the 710 cap?

Does a faulty Thermostat affect the A/C? I've had A/C issues the last 2 summers and just this winter I've started to intermittent heating issues. Thinking it's time to crack my Thermostat open...

Just remember no one (or very few) will work on or think about your Cruiser like you do. I found out the hard way by going to a trusted local shop when I first got mine. Took me a good learning curve to get it right after that. For example they did a valve job with out doing the galley plug. WTF

In case this helps Gundo

Does a faulty Thermostat affect the A/C? I've had A/C issues the last 2 summers and just this winter I've started to intermittent heating issues. Thinking it's time to crack my Thermostat open...

2 separate systems, not related to each other unless the valve on the firewall isn't working and you have hot coolant in the heater core and the a/c is running.

Closing the loop here
Used all new OEM parts including a new thermostat, hoses, gaskets, bolts + copper anti-seize.

With everything buttoned-up, and a the system refilled and purged of air, it was time to light Lola’s fire.

And voila, after 5 minutes, I’ve got more heat than I could have ever imagined.

Amazing what happens when your thermostat is broken and stuck open.

Easy fix, a one banana job at the most.

Closing the loop here
Used all new OEM parts including a new thermostat, hoses, gaskets, bolts + copper anti-seize.

With everything buttoned-up, and a the system refilled and purged of air, it was time to light Lola’s fire.

And voila, after 5 minutes, I’ve got more heat than I could have ever imagined.

Amazing what happens when your thermostat is broken and stuck open.

Easy fix, a one banana job at the most.
Good deal. If a 60's heat isn't throwing out the fire of hell, something is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom