those who have installed longfields help me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yo im needing some advice/assistance whatever you wanna call it on installing my longfields, so i got one side in and got the spindle bolted up and there seems to be no clearance issue, am i dreaming here??

i called bobby and they said to put the birf in the housing with the spindle on then twist it to see if it hits anywhere,

i guess my question is.

is did you have to grind down alot and where, and should you be able to move the axle/birf in and out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch with just the spindle on, nothing else on yet?

pics if you got um too.

thanks

cam

Sounds normal Cam...

Typically the grinding on the axle housing is required to the flat openings of the ball that the axle fits into, just outboard of the knuckle bearings.

My 30-spline chromoly longfield set is to be installed soon. I checked with local cruiser buddy and he had to grind inside knucle housing a bit, check out this thread, he posted the pictures before and after the grinding:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=69986&highlight=longfield+grinding

I've just installed Pig chromoly axles and ringed longfields a year ago and now I have to do this all over again. After swapping axles/birfields 3 times, the love is lost.

I just installed the 30 spline longs in a 62 series axle-no clearence issues. I have previously installed the 27 spline longs in an FJ40 axle. There, I had to grind the inside of the bell just a tiny bit-but all the grinding was on the lips of the bell outboard of the knuckle bearings. If you are grinding more than a few seconds on each "lip" you are grinding too much.

had to grind mine a little. loosening the steering arm nuts also helps. lets a little tension off the "bell" of the axle.

i was told that it was only certain years the housing wasn't as wide and requires grinding. don't know the years, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom