Those Firewall Heater Hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah i was worried about them coming back off too however the only time i have an issue is with those screw type hose clamps. I have broken a few just trying to get them to stay on or keep a seal. I have found that i haven't had any issue with the spring type from Toyota or the screw wire type of older generations.

I hope this doesnt jinx me.

Oh yeah.. well let us know if it works in those other situations as well! Haha

That may change things - my eff-up was back in my VW days when some places they used the spring clamps, and others the chachi-quality worm drive housings that stripped if you sneezed looking at it.

I would re-use springs but grabbed variety - sizes of the wider Gates w/ the better worm screw/housing.

I just shy away from silicone around coolant, be it the bigger hoses or use as lube.

Again, just my exp / prior unluck.

Many thanks for all the posts. I should have mentioned the vehicle is pretty much rust free and been in storage for some number of years so the metal pipes are probably OK and that also explains why the original clamps are still present. I'm going to start with a visit to the dealer and see what I can still get and then make up the difference with the referenced Gates hoses. I think the front hoses look good and were probably part of a water pump replacement at some point so OK up front for now.

Thinking of taking this opportunity to flush the coolant as well and replace with the Toyota red stuff. Is there a preferred flush thread/video out there? Seen a few different ones but wanted to make sure I did a thorough flush because I don't know if/when it was done last.

Toyota red is still awesome juice, but many have gone green (color, not poly-tics) - with a good M-F’er of a flush you can do it / be fine & then the whole Toy red thing isn’t an issue if you breakdown in BFE.

I’m still running red just because I have 2 full gallons yet, but AFAIK pre-mix “Toy pink” - is all the dealers stock now, at least the dealers here in the greater range N of the Seattle area.

But green is alot more acceptable now.

I just bought all the oem heater hoses and heater valve from my local Toyota dealer recently. They are still available. They even came with the original cotter pin style clamps.

If you're going to be replacing all the FHH's, do yourself a favor and get one of these tools:
Amazon product ASIN B000F5JM0O
Note that the tool is specifically made for use with constant tension band clamps, it's not for use with any clamp which use a screwhead (such as the popular (and overrated!) Breeze clamps).

I literally could not have replaced the hoses closest to the firewall without this hose, or the short soft lines which attach to the hard lines down by the catalytic convertors. I also prefer these hose clamps, though sometimes some experimenting is needed to source the correct size:
Amazon product ASIN B0040CYVOK

Last edited:
If your rear heater hard lines are rusty, now is a good time to buy the bypass hose from Wit's End to bypass your rear heat.

And, since no one else as said it: While you're in there, you might as well go ahead and do the head gasket (just kidding - seems like every maintenance discussion goes there).
Why delete the rear heater hoses you can just get some gates hose and run them all the way back

I'm about to purchase this NAPA 90deg 5/8" molded hose and wanted to share the p/n for ease of future access.

1636032872243.png

1636032914908.png

Why delete the rear heater hoses you can just get some gates hose and run them all the way back

I never used the rear heat. Removed heater and all.

I'm about to purchase this NAPA 90deg 5/8" molded hose and wanted to share the p/n for ease of future access.

View attachment 2829525

View attachment 2829528

If you are looking for the gates version.

I second this awesome tool as it has saved me hours of aggravation and less pain on my tendinitis.

+ 1,00000000000000

Have one & for a swap motor car I have it’s paramount.

If you are looking for the gates version.
oh snap, Gates 9801 even MO BETTA, thanks dude!

oh snap, Gates 9801 even MO BETTA, thanks dude!
Actually i think if you read through it is now GATES 28460. But double check. I bought two or three and keep the extras in the tailgate.

Gates 9801 is 1/2" vs 9805 is 5/8". I thought we need 9805, no? I'll buy both then return the one that won't fit. That thread talks about using both hoses!

At the firewall going to the rear heater there are smaller hoses.

At the firewall going to the rear heater there are smaller hoses.

ok, gotcha. So, if you're deleting the rear heater, do we still need the 1/2" hose?

Ha I wouldnt delete my rear heater. I love that thing! But probably not. Buy extra stuff and take back what you don't use. Sucks having to drive back to the store for more stuff

what exact hose does this special heater hose replace?

also, if i wanted to replace all the hoses at the firewall which plumb in the rear heater, it looks like all those short pieces aren't available separately. is the recommendation to get some bulk hose and cut them to length and piece it together? if so, what diameter hose....1/2" gates green stripe? i have a bypass kit but do enjoy the rear heater and am conflicted on whether to fight w/ all those small hoses at the firewall or just give in and bypass it all like i did the PHH and a long length of 5/8" green stripe.

And Same guy @NLXTACY sells 5/8 and 1/2 green stripe by the foot.

At least where I live, gates green stripe was hard to find locally.

It's fun to shop and find the parts as an excuse to not do other activities but if you are short on time...it's not like the prices are bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom