Builds Build Thomas FJ48 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone want to comment on pinion offset for my rear driveline. I am going to build a custom rear axel and need to decide whether I make the housing symmetrical Which would give me a pinion offset of about an inch and a half, or if i set the Pinion offset in line with the transfer case. Transfer case sits about 1/2 to the driver side. Ultimately the question is is an 1.5 inch pinion offset a big deal or am i better to line it up with no offset. Any comments will be welcome.

Does anyone know how to get the Build title next to there thread as well?

Anyone want to comment on pinion offset for my rear driveline. I am going to build a custom rear axel and need to decide whether I make the housing symmetrical Which would give me a pinion offset of about an inch and a half, or if i set the Pinion offset in line with the transfer case. Transfer case sits about 1/2 to the driver side. Ultimately the question is is an 1.5 inch pinion offset a big deal or am i better to line it up with no offset. Any comments will be welcome.

Does anyone know how to get the Build title next to there thread as well?
As long as total allowable operating angle of the u-joint is not exceeded, the u-joint doesn't care where the deflection happens - vertical, horizontal deflection or both. As long as you have a decent length drive shaft, I would take the equal length axle shafts over a perfectly horizontally aligned pinon/t-case output.

I have no issues and have actually had my 40 on the freeway doing 80 plus mph :steer:. In fact the early 40s had a centered diff . I also had a Toyota axle in my Samurai so my D-line was like / and it was fine .

You guys are talking about way more than 1.5” offset with @Firemedic831 ’s setup, right?

check firemedics thread he has just that set up, orion tcase, center diff.

I have no issues and have actually had my 40 on the freeway doing 80 plus mph :steer:. In fact the early 40s had a centered diff . I also had a Toyota axle in my Samurai so my D-line was like / and it was fine .

Hey, we arent the ones who said a centered diff resulted in a 1.5" offset, that was the OP. My offset 60 is definitely offset, but not enough to line up tcase & pinion and it has 1.5" of offset/driveline angle, you are correct, at least in the pics, firemedics set up looks to yield about double that offset.

If I had a leaf sprung rig I would run an offset rear . But since I am linked I wanted a centered diff . The blue 40 has 60 axles and it’s offset with a truss and the upper link hits on the driveline at droop . If I had a choice ( I do ) I would have everything inline . But I have not had any problems . I do not drive on the street much though and when I do it’s just cruising . I have run the Rubicon a few times and Fordyce with it and no problems and I even drug a dead 80 out of the Rubicon . I am going to an Atlas t case though And everything will be inline then .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom