This sounds expensive... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wob

Threads
Well, the LC crapped out on me Friday. The throttle got jumpy, hesitated 3 or 4 times, and the engine died. No CE light ever came on, and the truck would not start back. Towed it to the mechanic, and he thinks the ecu might be fried. He's not getting any feedback from his diagnostic machine to either the OCBD port in the dash, or the hook up in the hood. Gulp. :-[ :-[

CDan, how much for an ecu for a 96?

Be ready to grab your ankles... :'(

Mine was replaced on a 97 under warranty. If I remember correctly, at the time it was in the $1100.00 neighborhood. I really don't think there was anything wrong with it and was told by Toyota that they are bulletproof. Hopefully, it will turn out to be something much cheaper for you.
Bill

Dunno Wob, but me thinks your parts mgr is sportin a chub thinking about it. If you need one, definitely go used.

Wob,

You have a PM.

As far as used, If you can find any of the following numbers you may use it: 89661-60260, 89661-60261, 89661-60262. the '60262 is the newest number. the production range is from January 95 to August 96.

Just a thought, is your main fuse link at the battery positive post OK?.................... :-\

Oh, forgot. How about the circuit opening relay?

For the benefit of the group, a new ECU is only $1300.40 :eek:

Dan,
Are you refering to the three wire fuse links @ the battery?
Is one of these the feed for the ECU? I replaced mine because I noticed cracks in the insulation, and figured it could cause a problem in the future?

circuit opening relay??? what is that? ???

Eduardo,

Yes, the wires you described.

The circuit opening relay is one of those magic parts in the EFI system that has an impact on how the fuel pump operates. There is also a fuel pump relay on the RH fender apron. I know just enough about EFI to start a fire but I think checking out the fuel pump circuit would be a good idea.

Wob,
Do any of the electrical systems work?

I'd definately start troubleshooting the power and ground connections at the ECU. If you don't have it there then start tracing the voltage problem. I read somewhere that about 95% of all ECU failures that were fixed with a new one was actually fixed by the act of replacing the part which in doing so resolved a bad connection problem.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4253;start=0#msg31552 date=1060635201]
For the benefit of the group, a new ECU is only $1300.40 :eek:
[/quote]

Ouch! Like I said before... :'(

To answer CDan's question, all of the electrical systems are working, it just won't crank. I hope it's not the ecu, I was just preparing myself for the worst. I should find out today.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Good new for me! :) :)
Turns out it was an electrical switch in the ignition somewhere. Only gonna set me back about two bills including labor. Not great, but not $1300 either.

I'll find out later. He said it was something in the ignition?

My guess is 84450-60270. I hope he doesn't hit you more than $75.79 for it as that is published list price. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom