This sheet metal baffle/cone thing in my rear axle housing…. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
I’m tore into my rear axle to replace a broken shaft and found this but if garbage inside the housing. I was already aware of its existence but am wondering if it serves any purpose other than aiding in finding the hole.
BF1A317E-D559-49C5-8D17-9B460BEA1E83.jpeg

It's intended to be an oil slinger. The idea is they extend seal life by preventing direct pressure against the seal. In the case of "axle slingers" (vs. pinion slingers), they're supposed to keep the tops of the spider gears wet, ensuring more complete lubrication.

When I built axles for Dana we were constantly quizzing the product engineers why they were (constantly) putting them in and taking them out. They had various answers, none of which made consistent sense, but they were in fact responses to customer complaints about seal failures (due to crap seals). Everyone knew they likely didn't do any good, but since they also couldn't be proven to do any harm, the politicians that ran the engineering department allowed them.

It's intended to be an oil slinger. The idea is they extend seal life by preventing direct pressure against the seal. In the case of "axle slingers" (vs. pinion slingers), they're supposed to keep the tops of the spider gears wet, ensuring more complete lubrication.

When I built axles for Dana we were constantly quizzing the product engineers why they were (constantly) putting them in and taking them out. They had various answers, none of which made consistent sense, but they were in fact responses to customer complaints about seal failures (due to crap seals). Everyone knew they likely didn't do any good, but since they also couldn't be proven to do any harm, the politicians that ran the engineering department allowed them.
The reason I asked is because I appeared that the vertical member would indeed help to keep oil slinging contained to the differential housing area. Is it important enough that I should not assemble the axle without this piece?

I don’t remember the front axle having these.

The reason I asked is because I appeared that the vertical member would indeed help to keep oil slinging contained to the differential housing area. Is it important enough that I should not assemble the axle without this piece?

Front axle does have them

I'd recommend leaving them in. Toyota may have found the spider gears pump oil into the housing, causing premature seal failure. This is something that really has to be proven in failure tests. I'm much more comfortable giving Toyota engineers the benefit of the doubt, than I was extending the same to Dana engineers, and I was one, both on the floor and above it.

I'd recommend leaving them in. Toyota may have found the spider gears pump oil into the housing, causing premature seal failure. This is something that really has to be proven in failure tests. I'm much more comfortable giving Toyota engineers the benefit of the doubt, than I was extending the same to Dana engineers, and I was one, both on the floor and above it.
My local dealer tells me this part is NLA. A couple online vendors concurred. Some other online vendors are allowing me to put it in my cart so it’s availability is a mystery at this point.

I managed to straighten the vertical piece enough that is usable and I think that’s the important part. The cone makes a nice ramp to aid axle shaft installation but I’ll have to do without it I guess.

Last edited:
What's the part number of the rear axle oil slinger, same L and R?

It shows up as still being available via my local dealer (FL). Checking Amayama the same part appears to have been used in many other LC models but they don't show any in-stock, same with Partsouq. None of the usual US online sources sources show it to be discontinued however.

It shows up as still being available via my local dealer (FL). Checking Amayama the same part appears to have been used in many other LC models but they don't show any in-stock, same with Partsouq. None of the usual US online sources sources show it to be discontinued however.
I salvaged the vertical “partition/slinger” and the cone part I’ll do without. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom