This Just Figures. I hate my f'n job

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by sisukid1975, Jul 3, 2005.

1. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Boss called an hour ago. There's a problem with a client's machine and I have to go to Helsinki tomorrow.

I'll be up at 5am going to O'Hare so I can connect to Helsinki via Amsterdam.

This ruins the plans I had of working on the land cruiser all day, and then having a barbeque, then going to the joint fireworks display/symphony orchestra concert at the riverfront...

I hate my job. I hate engineering in general. I especially hate fawking paper machines.

I think when I get back, I'm gonna go on a diet so I can lop off a few pounds, then quit my job and go to the Police Academy or something. I've been thinking of doing that lately. You know, do something that actually helps people rather than sitting on my ass all day worrying about fourdriniers and calender rolls and headboxes. I don't know.

I'm just tired of this crap.

Is 32 too old to join the police force?

Fred

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

i hate those calls.
    i've got a phone that NEEDS to be on 24/7......to bad the battery died thursday.......and i forgot to plug it in......opps.......guess i'll miss the next round of raises. only the guys that do nothing have been getting them lately any way.....appearently i have been doing too much...

3. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Actually your never to old to become a cop. Here in CA there are a ton of large agencies that have been hiring guys in their 40's & 50's. Alot of these guys pay their own way to go through a police academy and then apply to a few agencies before they higher them up. Most agencies are interested in life experience.

Come to CA. Cops make pretty decent wages out this way.

Bay Area Rapid Transit PD for instance Pay Rate: Entry-level: $3,565.69 until successful completion of Academy;$4,041.11 until successful completion of Field Training Program.Lateral: $4,754.25-$5,852.39/mo.Senior Officer (based on BART years of service, assignments and POST certificates):$5,840.36-$6,132.80/mo.

Vallejo CA http://www.ci.vallejo.ca.us/uploads/135/122.pdf

Contra Costa County Sheriff's dept. http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/depart/hr/

4. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmm, happens to me six times a month, except I have to stay awake through the flight. And it does suck. It wasn't so bad when I was paid better than an engineer and it was only five times a month.

5. TXFJ40

TXFJ40

Media:
    Albums:
    Personnally I'd take the Fire Dept exam.........
    of course I've done the FF thing for 19 yrs now, and I can honestly say that I love my job. Even when I just don't want to get up in the mornings, by the time I finally swing my legs out of bed.... I can't wait to get to the station and have coffee w/ the guys. If your area has civil service, most cities have a age limit of 36 yrs old. That applies to both FF and the donut eaters :) ... Of course age limits are set by the local Civil Service Commission. Check out your local rules. I don't think you would regret serving your community.... at least until you get your first paycheck....;(

6. firetruck41

firetruck41

No age limit with our Civil Service, and yeah, go the firefighter route, your customers are always happy when you show up, with the PD they are usually pissed at you when you show up :D

You know what the difference is between a Firefighter and a Police Officer?
    The Firefighter scored ten more points on the Civil Service exam :doh: :flipoff2:

Just Kiddin' LEO's, I luv ya guys!

7. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Thanks for all the responses.

THe police academy here is actually a two year associates degree from the technical college. THey teach you driving, shooting, etc, and from there you apply to the department of your choice.

Right now Madison Police are hiring, and they're starting at around $40,000, which is decent here. The University of Wisconsin Police department is currently hiring, and they will accept you if you don't have academy. In fact, they hire you (you are an unarmed officer) and then give you reimbursement to attend academy. So you're working as an unarmed officer on the campus while going to school, and you get paid. Not too shabby.

When I get back from Helsinki, I'm seriously thinking about going there and the technical school to see what I can come up with.

Bags are packed, and I'm leaving for the airport in a few hours. I think I'll stay up all night, then sleep on the plane on the Amsterdam leg, and I should be waking up at around 9am tuesday morning in Helsinki. That ought to help some with adjusting to the jet lag. (it always sucks going east-- lots easier to adjust coming west.) One problem is that this time of year in Helsinki, the sun does not go down till about midnight, so that will kind of throw me a bit.

Of course the direct flight to Helsinki on FinnAir is always booked solid several weeks in advance, so that means instead of 2 flights, I get 3....

Take care all, and I'll bring you back some reindeer meat, Nokia phones, or something.

Fred

8. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

I hate that, too. It used to be OK cause when I went to Europe, our old Nextel phones didn't work there, so I actually had peace and quiet while I was there.

Then, when my company got bought out by the Finns, they gave us phones (Nokias of course) that work in Finland-- as well as most other countries in the world. So, I still get to talk to these clowns I work with here, even when I'm 5000 miles away.

Fred

9. calamaridog

calamaridog

Fred,

32 is not too old to join up. Talk to local agencies and figure out what their physical requirements are. Then plan to be in better shape than you need to be. Your life experience and maturity will be real assets for any department.

Just don't come out to CA. Even though we have some of the highest pay and best benefits, our housing market is about to collapse;) and the state is about to fall into the ocean:D (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

On a serious note, do some ride alongs if you haven't done so already. Good experience for any person.

Hope you have a safe journey!

10. Stone

Stone Moderator

I had thought about doing that once. I wrote the written exam for the Vancouver Police and they really liked me because I'm a visible minority and I have my degree. They also like the fact that I was in healthcare, and seemed to value that experience.

What stopped me from taking the physical and continuing the process? I just imagined dealing with some cocky 16 year old perp mouthing me off because he knows I can't touch him and he'll be out in a couple of days with a slap on the wrist so that he can do the whole thing all over again. With my personality, I'd probably be the one in jail forced to being Bubba's girlfriend. To be a good cop, I guess you really have to have the right temperament, personality, and have a real drive to help others. Good luck.

11. tacomafj-80

tacomafj-80

Go for it! you will never look back. Every day is diff. from the other. if you dont mind moving, you should try the fed. gov.-benefits rock. I know for a fact the Border Patrol is looking for more agents for Arizona and West Texas. ;)

12. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Actually the cut off for the FBI is 35. Ever want to be under paid, over worked, and not be able to tell your family alot of what you do, & end up anywhere in the world on short notice? If so then go for it.

Then again there's always the US Marshalls, ATF, Postal Inspector, DEA, and several others. Nice thing with these is that you can usually set the date time and surroundings when making one of the 20 or so arrests you'll make during your career.

If you chose the life of a cop you'll make 20 arrests in the first few weeks or months, depending on the area.

Either way good luck.

13. tacomafj-80

tacomafj-80

c-monster
    your right. if you do choose FBI, DEA, Marshals, or any of the above listed, you will have limited arrest's. However, with the Border Patrol youll arrest large groups of people everyday, catch drug's comming accross the border, 4 wheel everyday. nonthing like working on your own and tracking down a group of subjects for an hour or more.

14. zetasig

zetasig

Going to Helsinki beats going to line 6 at the Unemployment office.

15. LabRat11

LabRat11

I've gone on a few 'emergency' calls before - you're right - totally sucks.

However, every time I've come back I've had an expense report that's about 5 times my norm and the boss is cool enough to just smile and sign.

16. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Yes, I love the "entertaining" part of the expense report-- you know the one for taking clients out to dinner, etc.

Fred, if I were you, I'd "entertain" myself with a 7 course meal at Aleksander Nevski (it's close to the US Embassy in Helsinki) every night. If you get tired of that, try Limon.

Then further "entertain" youserself with Marskii Schnapps at the City Bar at the Scandic Marskii. Then you could "Entertain" your wife by buying a nice set of China at the Arabia Boutique... Then some stuff from Stockmanns....

If you don't feel comfortable "Entertaining" yourself and your wife like that, then feel free to buy me a bunch of stuff from Arabia/iitala/Hackmann. I'm sure, since I buy and consume paper, and you make machines that make paper, you could consider me a client in a roundabout sort of way.

Steve

17. PolterGeist

PolterGeist

Now that i think of it, we all consume paper. If you dont:

Get everyone on this board a Sako Hunting rifle;

Get everyone a brand-new state of the art Nokia phone;

get everyone a Suunto watch with GPS;

get everyone a complete Rapala tackle set;

and get all of our wives a complete handmade Hackmann cast iron cooking set;

and write it all off on the "entertaining" portion of your expense account;

I will NEVER buy paper made on your company's machines again! I demand this!

Steve

18. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

If you don't like being called up on your days off on short notice then I doubt policework is for you. Court will always be on your days off or hours off. If you don't go to court not only can you be fired but also held in contempt by a judge (warrant issued) and then blamed by the DA in the press for the reason dangerous criminal X was released to prey on the public.

I recommend being a firefighter. Work-out, eat, watch TV, take a couple of medical calls and then go home for your four-day weekend. Around here you have to be the right color to get into Fire though.

I highly recommend ride-alongs or even a reserve commision to get a feel for real police work beforethrowing away what sounds like a pretty good paying job. But if you are sure then go for it. Get a fast car, a few friends and cruise the city at night looking for trouble.

19. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

What kind of engineering are you involved in?

20. NovaFZJ80

NovaFZJ80

been thinking myself to get lasik done, wait 2 yrs and apply to USSS or Customs....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.