This item is no longer available - Cummins 2.8 Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser Jimmy

Threads
IMG_2909.JPG
IMG_2906.JPG
IMG_2907.JPG
DSC03263.JPG
DSC03269.JPG
This is the problem. I have a brown '83 and a red 5/85 and only need one 60. The turd has an H55F, rebuild 2F with 7K on the clock, every seal in the driveline replaced, all the locks greased and operable, one key that works four of the five locks, rebuilt brake system, rebuilt axles, and numerous other things that I have fixed in the last five years. The last thing that needs to be replaced is the body and the windshield. The turd was bought in the midwest and one of the previous owners drove it in the mud and did not clear is and now the body has just rusted to the point were the owner used great stuff to hold the panels together. The red 60 has a better body (no midwest rust) with minimal damage that is easier to fixed than the rust on the turd.

Restoration build, GO!

Last edited:
Subscribed

Me too.

John

IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_2915.jpg
IMG_2916.jpg
IMG_2917.jpg
The black van is my buddy's. He started from a stock single sliding door and converted it to duel side amby doors. It's a complete camper inside also. I call it the Blackwater Van.

After working some with my buddy today I got a little more done. The headliner is the last thing to come out tomorrow. Got the two side windows out and the windshield off. The fame on the windshield was rusted out at the lower half. Sucks because I really don't want to spend more time metal working. I have access to a mig and tig for the body work. It's been a little while since migged 16 gauge for body work and I have never tigged. The tig is set up for body work so I think I'll have a try at it and see how I do.

I'll post of the plan for the rig shortly, wanted to get the thread started. Blasting the body is next.

Last edited:
For reference, 2 of the 10 bolts that fasten the body to the frame were seized and broke off while removing. The two problem bolts were second from the aft ones. The two bolts that fasten the radiator support were gone also and needed to be cut off.

Last edited:
^^^ Those photos make me want to pop out my windshield just to see what's lurking under there.

For reference, 2 of the 10 bolts that fasten the body to the frame were seized and broke off while removing. The two problem bolts were second from the aft ones. The two bolts that fasten the radiator support were gone also and needed to be cut off.

Body mount bolts are still available.

;)

Unless, of course, you are going for that full floating action.

:lol:

Shawn,
I noticed there was one little spot that rusted were the rubber meet the body. The location was right were the driver centerline would sit. The water then pathed its way across the bottom and started the damage. I would say if you have no imperfections along the bottom of the rubber you're okay.

Cool. I'll check.
Wish you luck with your project...

IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2920.jpg
IMG_2922.jpg
IMG_2924.jpg
IMG_2925.jpg
Body is free from all its items. Got the headliner down and discovered mouse poop along the cargo, passenger and front seating areas. Piss everywhere along the outside edge and into the insulation that's on the ceiling. Going to take the headliner to an upholster for a quote. I like SOR's but I want it in white so it reflects light better at night.

Last edited:
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2941.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG
Frame is off the body and I'm in the process of cleaning it up and fixing all the metal repairs needed. Then to the acid dipper for a cleaning.

The reinforcement for the rear spring support is rusting out, delaminated and in really bad shape. I'm cutting it out and replacing it. Once in I plan on boxing in the the section that Toyota did not. Criticism. Good Idea, not needed, yes do it? I'm planning on building a rear bumper and have the spare tire on it.

Last edited:
IMG_2942.JPG ...

is sufficiently disturbing
EDIT> to give anyone night terrors... <

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. Additional reinforcement will be needed.

Took the frame to the acid dipper and it was there for a week. Just picked it up today. Turned out great with all the nastiest that was on it.
While the frame was getting dipped I took the gas tank off the body. The final item to take off. The gas tank that was on this body was in really bad shape as you can see. The inside was rusted really bad. The rig had been sitting near a corn field for the past two years and moisture just took over. My gas tank will be transferred on to this frame and body. Gotta love midwest rigs.

After I got the tank off I power washed the underside of the body. Then degreased it then washed it again. I'll plan to undercoat the entire underneath with Eastwood's Rubberized Rust Encapsulator. This product claims to stop the rust as well undercoat.

DSC03299.JPG
DSC03301.JPG
DSC03309.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom