This is what I did with my WagonGear tailgate lid.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

djawahir

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
battlebalm.com
I want to store stuff in the tailgate compartment, but I'm not a big fan of just letting stuff jiggle around and make a bunch of noise.

So, I used my little brain and figured out how to do something neat, waterproof (or at least very water-resistant) and as durable as the Land Cruiser I drive.

Parts:
2 Dirt Bagz Baja Tool Bag (6 x 3 x 12) Black
16 M6 x 1.0 Rivets
16 M6 x 1.0 x 16mm Flat head stainless steel screws

Measure, measure, drill. Repeat 16 times.
Mount bags and velcro down.

The great thing about these bags is that they are made out of ripstop fabric and extremely well built. The bags come with the mounting brackets and velcro straps. All you need are the mounting hardware. I'm sure someone else may have some other cool ideas, but at least for me, I wanted my mounting hardware flush with the awesome WagonGear tailgate lid surface.

Enjoy!
IMG_4846a.jpg
IMG_4847a.jpg
IMG_4849a.jpg

Very nice!

would be a great place for a first aid kit.

Pretty cool.

Would it of been just as quiet if you just put the bags inside the compartment, not strapped down? Seems like once you have things inside the bag, the bag itself shouldnt roll around inside the compartment. Not knocking your work, just curious.

Cannon88, way to pop a guy's balloon...Does everything have to be easy? One word for you: No way!

Besides, the straps actually help secure stuff inside the bag from jiggling around...like say you have a bunch of tools in there and you want them to stay quiet. I guess I could stuff the bag full of paper towels or something to keep the wrenches and screwdrivers from clanging inside the bag. But alas, I use my velcro cinch strap and with one deft pull, the clanging is no more!

i don't have my wagon gear lid installed yet, but bought one of those waterproof bags you can seal and inflate, figured i could set it in inflated to not bounce around. Some food, first aid, etc in it currently... nothing too heavy or rattle.

Reminds me of my tookit on my rear fender of my XR650L. neat idea.

Cannon88, way to pop a guy's balloon...Does everything have to be easy? One word for you: No way!

Besides, the straps actually help secure stuff inside the bag from jiggling around...like say you have a bunch of tools in there and you want them to stay quiet. I guess I could stuff the bag full of paper towels or something to keep the wrenches and screwdrivers from clanging inside the bag. But alas, I use my velcro cinch strap and with one deft pull, the clanging is no more!

Hahahaha, sorry man!! :lol: Didnt mean no harm. :D

Besides, I like overkill too! :hillbilly:

Very clean. Rattling stuff was my big concern with that system. I'm gong to do that to mine as soon as I get it back from Georg.

Peter

I like it, very clean install and practical.

:princess: and I are considering the Wagon Gear tailgate. We were thinking more in line with storing our cooking stuff there for trail side lunches. A small plastic bin would work just as well with your system as the soft bag.

re wagon gear tail gate

i have been thinking of buying one and turning it into a gun case by inserting foam has any body done this? is there room for a marlin model 60 .22 and a remington 870 12 ga? it would be nice to have a lockable non removable gun locker built in.

Dylan that's cool yah did that n all....but admit it dude....
Sounds like you itching for a bigger project !!!:flipoff2:

I can't afford those damn lids !!! :frown:

First aid and weapon storage is a great idea. Does it look like a 12 gauge and or rifle with protective foam would fit. Is the void in the tail gate thick(deep), and long enough.

Got the other side done today. Total time installing them was about an hour. Nothing in there that was too intense.

I also laid out some tools that I decided to put into one of the Dirt Bagz. Everything fit except the hammer. Tossed in some hose clamps and 2 trashbags too.

The other Dirt Bagz bag is my emergency kit. It holds a band-aid, 4 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and a bag of jalapeno chips. :clap:
IMG_4853a.jpg
IMG_4854a.jpg

That is a great idea. You tell kevin about this?

Kevin's probably built something way more cool than anything I'll ever do on this truck...Heck, by now Kevin's probably got his tailgate lid on a remote switch, installed interior tailgate lighting and has the tailgate climate controlled...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom