This is my 2000 Land Cruiser (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2000 model year
Former development vehicle for Isuzu
155k original miles
Completely stock

This vehicle joins the rest of my fleet which currently consists of a 2010 BMW E61 (leave a comment or follow @5wagoon if you are into fast wagons!). I also have a 2015 Mercedes E Class sedan. I’m located in Huntington Beach, CA (Orange County), and this is my first Land Cruiser and I’m just excited to learn more and connect with fellow enthusiasts.

So what can I tell you about this vehicle?

Cosmetically, It looks good in pictures but up close is another story, the clearcoat is pretty thin and oxidized in many areas, one door panel has no clear left at all. The vehicle was left parked outside for most its life and it has suffered for it. There isn’t much paint to work with for a correction, so I may just need to sand and respray, which I might tackle on my own.

The front seat leather is pretty badly worn and cracked from being subjected to years and years of harsh California sun, and not being properly maintained. The rear seats are in great condition though. I plan on doing what I can to clean and restore the leather (I have a friend who owns a Fibrenew franchise so might just do a repair and respray). Going to add some tint to the windows to add some heat rejection and further UV protection.

Mechanically, the vehicle does have some issues, as would be expected for a 20 year old vehicle but it doesn’t show it’s age like other older vehicles I’ve owned. So far, I am experiencing a wobble under braking (thinking its prob. bad rotors) and brake/ABS lights on in dash. In my few minutes of online research it leads me to wheel sensors, ABS module. Going to hook it up to my scanner to see what codes appear as there are some dash lights lit up.

Door handles and locks are a little problematic, and remote unlock/lock buttons on the main key do not function. I need to change battery and test this out.

The suspension is a bit worn but planning on lift and longer-travel suspension kit so I will probably hold off on OEM replacement unless I find a smoking deal.

My first goal with any project is to get any issues sorted and get the vehicle to a good functioning baseline and then assess weak points and reinforce those to support and future modifications. I’m reviewing build threads to get ideas now but I’d love to hear some opinions on this.

Excited to learn more about this platform and connect with some like-minded folks! Thanks for checking out my vehicle!

9E6BA9B9-0BF8-4401-8E3B-49B3A086AD0F.jpeg

6DF04925-AAD1-4475-9324-4D52A74D2D26.jpeg

D1785B21-0205-45F3-B30F-482DD1F4BFCC.jpeg

46B062B1-A9DB-4DB0-9E49-B3A4EFF60E69.jpeg

434CB6CB-3C68-4727-B9FD-14434D76776D.jpeg

Welcome, been a few convos about Cruisers and Benzes lately here, a few of us love both! Something about that engineering.
What a cool rig, and nothing sounds insurmountable. I do miss the SoCal car shopping when I lived in LA, so much available in the region, no matter what it is you're after. I'm curious, why a Cruiser? I love hearing the stories and reasons behind the purchase. Enjoy and hope to see you around the forum!

Umm, why not a Land Cruiser?

Too good an opportunity to pass up. I love late 90s to early 2000s era Toyota vehicles in general, and I also do a lot of off-road camping/hiking. My BMW wagon is just becoming too “precious” to do any real exploring, so deep into the 100 series spiral we go!

Development vehicle for Isuzu?

Yep. Isuzu would buy several competitor’s vehicles each year to use in developing their own products. At the end of the lease they would give employees the opportunity to purchase the vehicle. My (now) wife worked for Isuzu at the time, and the vehicle has been in the family since then.

Welcome neighbor. She is a beauty. We have had a few 100 series. We currently don't have a 100, but miss our 07 terribly.

Umm, why not a Land Cruiser?

Too good an opportunity to pass up. I love late 90s to early 2000s era Toyota vehicles in general, and I also do a lot of off-road camping/hiking. My BMW wagon is just becoming too “precious” to do any real exploring, so deep into the 100 series spiral we go!
Having had my LC100 for over 20 years now, they are a great vehicle. You will not regret the purchase, the only problem is always what to do next to it.

Nice ride!

The wobble under braking is likely rotors as you've surmised, but may be related to steering/suspension components as well. Sounds like it's in good hands and that you will have it all sorted soon enough. Good luck!

Welcome neighbor. She is a beauty. We have had a few 100 series. We currently don't have a 100, but miss our 07 terribly.

Much appreciated. I guess it’s a common color but it should make finding a few body panel spares easier. I’m sure there are more out there. I recently met a guy near me who has about 15 Land Cruisers between his home and shop. Let me know what you are looking for and I’ll ask him.

Love that it's spoilerless

I don’t think it ever had a spoiler equipped. I don’t really care for the spoiler anyway and I’m not even sure what it achieves functionally. Would like to know more just out of sheer curiosity

Nice ride!

The wobble under braking is likely rotors as you've surmised, but may be related to steering/suspension components as well. Sounds like it's in good hands and that you will have it all sorted soon enough. Good luck!

Thanks. I inspected the brake rotors and they are indeed warped so they’ll need resurfacing or replacing. The good news is that they still function and I can drive. I’m not sure what’s available for brake upgrades but I’m a big fan of Hawk pads and need to do some more research on rotor options. Trying to find a good combination of performance, low dusting, and decent lifespan. Would definitely appreciate any advice here.

Much appreciated. I guess it’s a common color but it should make finding a few body panel spares easier. I’m sure there are more out there. I recently met a guy near me who has about 15 Land Cruisers between his home and shop. Let me know what you are looking for and I’ll ask him.

I don’t think it ever had a spoiler equipped. I don’t really care for the spoiler anyway and I’m not even sure what it achieves functionally. Would like to know more just out of sheer curiosity

Thanks. I inspected the brake rotors and they are indeed warped so they’ll need resurfacing or replacing. The good news is that they still function and I can drive. I’m not sure what’s available for brake upgrades but I’m a big fan of Hawk pads and need to do some more research on rotor options. Trying to find a good combination of performance, low dusting, and decent lifespan. Would definitely appreciate any advice here.

Spoiler just funnels air across the back to blow dust/sand off. It works like a charm when knocking out lots of miles on dusty roads, but isn't necessary.

Yep. Isuzu would buy several competitor’s vehicles each year to use in developing their own products. At the end of the lease they would give employees the opportunity to purchase the vehicle. My (now) wife worked for Isuzu at the time, and the vehicle has been in the family since then.
Unfortunate they never offered anything close to the cruiser. Maybe teh development was for overseas items?
All that aside, welcome to the madness! My truck didn't come with a spoiler either and I think it looks a lot better without.

It is designed to keep a constant flow of air on the rear window to keep dust/dirt from collecting there. It is functional, but I love the lines of the wagon without it.

Unfortunate they never offered anything close to the cruiser. Maybe teh development was for overseas items?
All that aside, welcome to the madness! My truck didn't come with a spoiler either and I think it looks a lot better without.

Let’s just say they took inspiration from other manufacturers for the Isuzu lineup at the time.

Spent some time trying to get more familiar with what I just acquired and decided to document the many issues with my LC100. Putting all this out publicly is a bit of a risk if I later decide to sell the vehicle - but whatever, I rather this be shared so folks know what to expect if they are getting a 20 year old vehicle like me.

Here's the list of issues I've identified so far:

COSMETIC ISSUES
• Rear wiper worn

• Front wipers worn

• Window trim falling apart

• Hood gasket loose / degraded

• Hood struts no longer support weight of hood

• Headlight gaskets are worn

• Steering wheel badly worn/cracked - anyone got a source for OEM replacements?
IMG_2367.jpeg

• Front seat leather heavily worn, seat padding is heavily worn too. I have a friend who can re-spray these, but not sure what to do about the foam underneath.
IMG_2368.jpeg

• Rear bumper is warped, scratched and paint is lifting
IMG_2360.jpeg

• Passenger side rear fender has some deep scratches and a couple 1/2"-1/4" dents

• Hood has two 1/4" dents

• Passenger side front door shows complete clear coat failure. Would have to be resprayed.
IMG_2364.jpeg

• Passenger side front fender has deep fine scratches through

• Stereo not working (fuse was pulled, something was shorting out and draining battery is what I was told)

FUNCTIONAL / MECHANICAL ISSUES

• Brake/ABS lights illuminated when vehicle is on. I think I found a diagnosis for this - involving bulbs apparently. Will report back.
8564F6CE-E4D3-40F2-9419-FAA3930B8232.jpeg

• Brake rotors need replacing/resurfacing - pretty bad wobble under braking

• PWR button seems to not be working, nothing lights up on cluster when it is pressed and there is no perceptible change in engine output/throttle mapping

• Suspension bushings probably need replacing

• Oil leaking from several areas on block (valve cover gasket?)

Other than the above, I have very few complaints. Such a solidly built and engineered vehicle and I am looking forward to the journey.

Last edited:
Looks like your ABS motor went out.

Looks like your ABS motor went out.

How exactly can you determine that? I’ve read multiple threads and there doesn’t seem to be a single diagnosis. Some say ABS booster, some say speed sensors, some say it’s a bulb burnt out. I connected it up to my laptop with Techstream, and got the vehicle to be recognized (for some reason VIN didn’t show up though, not sure if that is normal) but couldn’t figure out how to read the ABS module. I will attempt it again today. Also connected my regular OBDII scanner and didn’t find any codes.

Paint it camo using stencils from redlegcamo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom