This is kinda cool, F1 racing specs...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by mabrodis, Jul 11, 2005.

1. mabrodis

mabrodis

2. mabrodis

mabrodis

Some info from the link:

"Indy engines are rev limited to 10,000 RPM and produce about 700 horsepower (bhp). F1 cars do not have such a limitation and reach up to 20,000 RPM and 950 bhp.

According to regulations, F1 cars have to weigh at least 600 kg (about 1,320 lbs). Without driver and fuel, the cars typically weigh about 480 kg (1060 lbs). These basic specs result in impressive performance - acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) is usually about 1.8 seconds; a speed of 120 mph is reached in less than 4 seconds. The maximum speed of the current fastest F1 cars is about 230 mph. Even owners of the 700-Grand Ferrari Enzo - one of the fastest production cars ever made - will get goose bumps just watching the rocket launch of an F1 beast."

Wow, no wonder they are so fast, 950hp in a 'car' weighing 1320 lbs WITH driver and fuel...krieky!!

3. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I always thought F1 was the shiznit. They got the hottest pit girls anyway. However, NASCAR women are an easier lay.... FWIH.

4. neowulf

neowulf

it would be better if they removed the downforce regulations and went back to slicks

:p

5. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

I thought it terms of raw horsepower and speed, that a champ car beats out NASCAR, Indy, and F1.

Of course, it is running methanol (which NASCAR and F1 are not), and a turbo (which all NASCAR, F1, and INDY aren't).

And of course, the series itself has gone to s***.

Cool page here: http://www.champcarworldseries.com/Tech/Car_Comparisons.asp

6. mabrodis

mabrodis

Champ cars are sweet also. When the Denver Grand Prix was here I got some good pictures of them in the pits, wow are those things engineering mavels.

These are from several years ago, but still cool I think:
    http://pictures.colorado4x4.net/Misc/2002_Denver_Grand_Prix/

I don't doubt a Champ car could run faster top-speed than a F1 car, but I would suspect that's only because of gearing and what the F1 car is setup to do, since by the numbers there is no reason a champ car would run faster (less power, more weight, etc).

I like F1's approach better, have some basic rules and let the teams be creative instead of telling each team what they can and can't do. I remember something about Ferrari racing one race with no rear spoiler at all, none, just gone, they determined they could go so much faster on the straight-aways and even though they had to go slower in the corners passing is almost impossible in corners, so others couldn't pass them...don't remember if they won the race or not, but I love how the teams can mix it up, try wild new technology that may or maynot work (obviously throughly tested before they put it on a $$$$ car though)...

Racing in general is fun though.. :cheers:

7. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

Heck yea it is. You are right though that Champ Car is kinda lame in that they have all gone to one engine manufacturer (Cosworth / Ford). Kinda makes it like watching an IROC race :D

FWIW I like WRC and Indy the best, with F1 and Nascar trailing behind.

I am going to try to score tix to the next Indy even at Texas.

8. brian

brian SILVER Star

that's why i quit watchin it

9. mabrodis

mabrodis

And started looking for old threads on mud? :confused:

:D

10. brian

brian SILVER Star

look around ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.