This is a locker, right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got an extra diff/third member from the PO - doesn't look anything like the one that's in the truck - can anyone help me identify whether this is a locker, and what brand?
TIA
lock1a.JPG
lock2a.JPG

it is a locker, looks like a detroit possibly.....

good luck ....

CHEERS ....:beer:

If that locker (definately looks like Detoit) is in you rear end, I'm going to guess that without the "pin" installed you're only going to get power transfer to the drivers side rear? If I'm not mistaken the pin mates the left side to the right side via an internal sleeve.

The pin retains the C-clips that hold the rear axles in. Not entierly sure, but I think it isn't necessary for front applications that have free floating axles.

there any guts in that case??

Mace, you can see the splines of one side gear. I bet you just need the cross pin, cross pin retainer, c-clips(WHICH ARE IN AXLE NOW), and the center block that comes with the detroit. nice spare.

I apologize ahead for the hijack, but just curious to how the c-clips are retained by the pin. kinda looks like that cup on the inside has grooves cut into it for what I'm guessing are the c-clips.

I see the splines, but nothin else..

Here is what the innards actually look like. I think they are in there because you can see the center piece in the square window. It would be mighty strange to assemble one w/o the insides. It looks like you need the pin no matter which axle.

DETROIT_breakdown1.jpg

PIA x2
This bolt has to be pulled in order to gain access for installing your C-clips in a Rear Axle application.

detroit13.jpg

Notching the cap provided enough travel to remove the bolt.

detroit14.jpg

I am surprised Detroit hasn't provisioned for a cleaner solution?

Does everyone really pull the cap to install C-clips?

the locker inside is empty, do you have the peices?

PIA x2
This bolt has to be pulled in order to gain access for installing your C-clips in a Rear Axle application.

Notching the cap provided enough travel to remove the bolt.

I am surprised Detroit hasn't provisioned for a cleaner solution?

Does everyone really pull the cap to install C-clips?

Looks like the p.o. in the top picture did the same thing to the cap as you did, just not as cleanly.

I grinded the edge down a bit on my cap and that gave me just enough room to pull it out enough, but I think I went with a bolt that was just a bit shorter and it still worked out just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom