This could be my last post :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've had similar regret to @BrandonP
I had some Turbo and engine issues with a HDJ81, and circumstances at the time made it unfeasible to fix it.
I sold it for less then I should have, and dropped more than it would have cost to fix it. At the time I couldn't see any other option.
Regretted selling that cruiser ever since.

80 Cruiser Rod If you used your Land Cruiser as your DD you could always park it, then look for a used Corolla for around 1000 bucks to use until you've got the money to repair your truck.

Meanwhile I'd start saving all my extra* money for the head gasket repair. *You'd be surprised how much money you can save each week by not pissing it away on eating out, passing on buying those 5 to 8 dollar cups of coffee at Starbucks, and so on.

In short order you'll have the money for the repair, plus once the repairs are done you can sell the Corolla, and get most, if not all your money you paid for it back.
Good advice. Well said

Thanks for all the suggestions and support. I do love my truck and have many of the same feelings about it when I get in it but sometimes there is a time to have to say enough is enough. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet and I have the weekend to digest all of the options and with God's direction and guidance hopefully by Monday I'll have a decision. I'm also battling with trying to figure out how to get back into the woods being deer season and all. And all this is after I just completely renovated my kitchen and had to replace my washer and dryer. I'm bleeding money and it's not fun at all! Putting more money into this truck with 300,000 on it is a bit of a gamble and I'm not sitting with a lot of chips if you know what I mean.

I'm fairly certain if there is a god he's got bigger concerns than whether you should fix or ditch your 80...🤔

If you're liking the truck the idea of a cheap beater car while you save some dough seems like the best option. You'll get hosed selling the 80 as is with the blown HG.

Personally I love driving and wheeling my 80 but I like it a lot more now that I got another vehicle for work/DD. Gives me time to let it sit/work on it when I can when something goes wrong.

If you're fishing for someone to either repair for cheap or buy it, maybe post up in your nearest clubhouse here at MUD and also in the Classifieds.

It's gotta be worth a couple K with all of the parts you've put on recently. I'm surprised to hear it needed a new gas tank. Rust?

I'm fairly certain if there is a god he's got bigger concerns than whether you should fix or ditch your 80...🤔
Unbeliever!

If you're fishing for someone to either repair for cheap or buy it, maybe post up in your nearest clubhouse here at MUD and also in the Classifieds.

It's gotta be worth a couple K with all of the parts you've put on recently. I'm surprised to hear it needed a new gas tank. Rust?
Yes, that's another problem which is weighing heavy on my decision. Many years driving on calcium chloride brined roads has led to much rust. I just replaced another brake line last week that was corroded with rust.

At least fix it before selling. You'll get little out of it unless it runs.

I have cussed mine out more than a few times for mainly things just being more difficult that they should be. That being said, I still love the stupid thing. I rarely see them on the road here and with how stupid most people drive in the DMV, I do feel like it offers me a better chance of driving away if the unfortunate happens. I daily mine and it's going to roll over 300k next week but, I also have another car should the cruiser need a repair.

Long story short, look around for a better price or get some friends to help with the heavy lifting to save your back and fix it yourself.

Yes, that's another problem which is weighing heavy on my decision. Many years driving on calcium chloride brined roads has led to much rust. I just replaced another brake line last week that was corroded with rust.

In that case there would be no doubt in my mind what to do. Sell as is!

Don’t let it sit with coolant in your oil or you will have bigger problems down the road. Drain that crap out.
If I was faced with your situation I would at least try some of the head gasket sealing solutions sold at the various parts stores. Maybe it will hold long enough for you to drive it while saving up or at least putting some distance between your recent large expenses. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Don’t let it sit with coolant in your oil or you will have bigger problems down the road. Drain that crap out.
If I was faced with your situation I would at least try some of the head gasket sealing solutions sold at the various parts stores. Maybe it will hold long enough for you to drive it while saving up or at least putting some distance between your recent large expenses. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.
Already tried that.

Okay this sounds a little outragious but when you're looking for a shread of hope and see this, it does make you think anything could be possible. Has anyone seen or tried this or know if this works? It doesn't look like would cost much to try.

Okay this sounds a little outragious but when you're looking for a shread of hope and see this, it does make you think anything could be possible. Has anyone seen or tried this or know if this works? It doesn't look like would cost much to try.

What have you got to lose...

3000 is not a lot to spend on a 80 series. If you feel it is, then that's a big indicator that it doesn't fit your circumstances. Perhaps selling it and getting a little corolla or camry might be in order. Land Cruisers are not cheap to keep on the road unless your just driving it into the ground until it's in such poor shape it won't run and is worthless.

3000 is not a lot to spend on a 80 series. If you feel it is, then that's a big indicator that it doesn't fit your circumstances. Perhaps selling it and getting a little corolla or camry might be in order. Land Cruisers are not cheap to keep on the road unless your just driving it into the ground until it's in such poor shape it won't run and is worthless.
Thanks for all your positive input.

Unbeliever!

I'm not certain of much but I'm certain that if there is a god sitting somewhere worrying about and trying to fix little s*** like this he isn't doing a very good job of it. And I'd hope he doesn't waste his time on it with all the bigger problems in the world.

Point is, take the input in this thread, evaluate your options, and decide what is best for you. They've pretty much all been laid out.

How much will it cost you to replace yur 80 with a comparable vehicle? Compare that to the cost of repairs.

I'm not certain of much but I'm certain that if there is a god sitting somewhere worrying about and trying to fix little s*** like this he isn't doing a very good job of it. And I'd hope he doesn't waste his time on it with all the bigger problems in the world.

Point is, take the input in this thread, evaluate your options, and decide what is best for you. They've pretty much all been laid out.
If you knew God with a capital "G" there wouldn't be this conversation. But that's okay, He has a special place for you. FYI There are no problems too big or too small that He can't handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom