This ain't right - 40 bench seat leg - angled, not straight... help me out here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
More fun things I overlooked during my late night purchase after a 900 mile drive.
My bench seat isn't mounted correctly. Looks like the frame isn't right. And my driver's seat is only held up by three legs right now.

Bench seat leg - this ain't right.jpg

Sor's image shows it going straight down. This is for a '75 BJ40, by the way - bench seat still the offering in Costa Rica in '75.
What should it look like right there?

1599843818913.png

Is this how it should look?

1599843902761.png

That seat is not period correct, so someone wanted the factory bench out of a pre 1973 and fabbed up a mount. Your rig should have buckets, I think...

I've have been wrong before, and recently, but weren't bench seats offered in ROW 40s for a few years longer?

Even if that weren't the case, wouldn't most bench seats bolt right up to later 40s? (Def not sure on this)

Last edited:
That seat is not period correct, so someone wanted the factory bench out of a pre 1973 and fabbed up a mount. Your rig should have buckets, I think...

75 BJ40 is not a US market seat and could very well be factory bench seat. 73 the mounting system changed. This looks like a system that is similar to our bucket seats that has been modified. 1/79 Toyota standardized the floor where switching 1/79 seats around between LHD and RHD or different models would be easy. Few more pictures would help determine what he has.

I've have been wring before, and recently, but weren't bench seats offered in ROW 40s for a few years longer?

Even if that weren't the case, wouldn't most bemch seats bolt right up to later 40s? (Def not sure on this)

Bench seats were used in some markets until the end of the 40 series. Our buckets seats were not as common.

Not seeing a fuel tank under the bench seat has it been removed or am I just not seeing it? On our buckets seats the left seat was lower than the right. That was so the right seat cleared the fuel tank. This looks like a spacer was added to raise the left seat to equal the right side. Maybe some one with a Canadian BJ40 or a Middle East 73-78 FJ40 with a bench seat could post a picture of the factory setup. @Honger has Middle East 77, not sure if he has a bench seat.

Good stuff everyone. Thanks. More pics.
Left seat has been raised with some wooden blocks. Right seat does have fuel tank underneath.

20200911_121632.jpg

20200911_121555.jpg

20200911_121654.jpg

20200911_121706.jpg

Three more

20200911_121901.jpg

20200911_124735.jpg

20200911_124830.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it is a poor attempt to add a early bench seat. The back of the driver's seat looks like my 65 FJ45LP-B. Not like the FJ40 that uses the tool box to mount the seat. Unless I needed the front bench would be looking for US market 73-78 bucket seats. Have a 73 FST can show where the factory mounting points are on the tub to see how close your are.

I do like the bench seats and would prefer to keep it. I would like to see that pic though @Living in the Past -
Not the highest of priorities for me, but perhaps I should keep my eye out for something like this OR buckets.

1599851231514.png

I'm going to be taking the seats out soon to work on the interior floor. Maybe I'll take the cushion off and really see what I have.

Happy Friday, y'all!

Please don't tell me your using aftermarket parts vendors to date when and what models parts were used on?

Don't know how many times seen SOR list a part on an FJ40 going back to 1958. These are on parts like the three speed transmission. The FJ25 was made thru 1960 and the earliest 1FJ40~10***. That would be 1961.

oh god no! Not my intention. I have a massive spreadsheet that shows what was available when and on what model... but that's just for US Spec 40s.
I use a lot of different places to find out stuff about ROW, which is much more hard to come by.

Good call out, though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom