this 85 hilux i found for $400 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i can't decide if i want this or not. it's been parked for a couple of years, and supposedly ran when parked, though "motor leaks oill". the seller wants $400 so maybe i can get it for $300-$375.... anyone think it's worth it?

it's listed as a 4spd auto (i think that would make it a chain driven tcase and 4.3 gears), but the pic from inside the cab looks like a manual shifter to me, but i need someone to confirm.
it has 185k on the odo. it seems to me that a toyota motor with only 185k might leak oil, but should probably have plenty of life in it still unless it was everheated or something. an engine swap (maybe 4.3vortec or something) could be an option.

oh, and can anyone tell if those are manual hubs or not?

Toyfront.JPG

Toyside.JPG

Toybak.JPG

Toycab.JPG

those look like stock Aisin hubs... definately a manual, (unless previoulsy swapped) it would be the 5-speed, looks like 84' or 85' (22RE efi for 85', 22R for 84').

I have ran two 22R;s over 200K with attention to the timing chains, this is typically a problem for the engines but likely, change the timing change and seal it all back up and you should be able to use the stock driveline/engine for a while longer.

Check the frame with a seriously fine tooth comb but at less than 400$, you really can't go wrong. The front axle is worth close to that... and additionally the top shift t-case...

The only efi 22r's in 85 were automatics and sr5's. So this truck is definately carbed. But for 400 it's at least a good parts rig. If the frame isn't rotted to pieces right behind the cab like my 84 was, it would make a great starting point.

yeah, i think i'm just going to get it. like you say, if it's not worth fixing i can part it out.

Yup, looks like a 5 sp manual w/Aisin hubs. If you're gonna do an engine swap, definately go with the 4.3L........my reman 22R (even bored .030 over) just lacks power. I can't run 33's on the highway and get into 5th gear (stock 4:10 gears). On the other hand, running 31's it has plenty of giddyup. If you take it, get the chevy longleafs for the rear and the waggy's for the front springs. DO NOT go with Explorer Pro Comp 4" lift springs unless you want to feel like you're riding on the axles.

Is it just me or does it appear in the picture that the 5 sp is on the left of the transfer case??? My transfer case stick is on the left and just behind my 5 sp stick. Did Toyota switch designs midyear or does that indicate a swap???

i noticed that too, but have no idea.

bigndn said:
Is it just me or does it appear in the picture that the 5 sp is on the left of the transfer case???

oh, and according to this site
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/
in 85 they offered the 5spd manual for the 22r,
and a different 5spd manual as well as the automatic
for the 22re.

rusmannx said:
oh, and according to this site
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/
in 85 they offered the 5spd manual for the 22r,
and a different 5spd manual as well as the automatic
for the 22re.

Correct, they used the G-series tranny with the carbs and the W-series with the EFI. This is not a SR5 truck, so it's carbed.

Also, it looks like an 84 to me. Check the VIN tag for the build date. You should be able to make back your $400 parting it out. The front axle complete is worth just about that.

sorry guys, yes i did buy it. ended up getting it for $300 :) cost me about $60 to go to SLC and buy it, but i got it home alright. so far i've found a leaky front main, and it didn't have an alternator or a battery. i got the alt and the batt from a wrecking yard for $60, and i'm going to do the front main seal, fuel pump o-ring, and speedi-sleeve repair. i've also found a tech article on how to adjust the valves so i'm going to change the valve cover gasket while i'm in there.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/22rvalves/
something about the motor doesn't sound right, but i can't really run it for very long to diagnose the problem due to the massive amount of oil leaking from the main. once i get that fixed i'll try to solve some of the other problems.
i've left my digi-cam at some friends house, but i'll borrow one or something so i can get some better pics of it.

also, i'm going to add some new pages on my website so everyone can follow the project.
http://russ.supernerd.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom