This 3B-T Hauls! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm 4:56.1 with 37's Speedo is bang on. This gearing is great around town and here in the Island where life is a bit slower.

However, in the interior the rig trucks passed me like I was standing still and pushing the B to 100kph (2500rpm) increased fuel consumption quite a bit.

Wish I had a splitter.... or a 6th.

Is yours a 4speed :hmm:?

Mine is. With 37's and 4.1s cruising rpm (at 100kph) is around 2350 IIRC. Should be sweet in our flat as a pancake country.

Did the same hill again today, kept it at 900 the whole way up, 75km/h, 2100 rpm, 7 psi boost, 4th gear.
Now with the 33's and 4.1's I could not maintain that speed and keep the egt's at 900, they would creep right up.

Did the same hill again today, kept it at 900 the whole way up, 75km/h, 2100 rpm, 7 psi boost, 4th gear.
Now with the 33's and 4.1's I could not maintain that speed and keep the egt's at 900, they would creep right up.

I've gotta agree with Dougal on this one. 900F just doesn't make sense. I have nearly the exact same setup as you and hill climbs are 1050+ territory for me, with 8psi and STOCK fueling.

up to 1100 or 1200.
I am not saying my truck won't go past 900, I can easily make it go past that, just saying that by being easy with my right foot I can keep it at 900 on a long steady incline.

My 3.9L Isuzu runs close to 900F on a flat road at 100km/h. Something is wrong in your EGT measurement if you can get up any decent hill with that, during acceleration your EGT gauge should lead or at least match boost gauge movement. Does it?

Is yours a 4speed :hmm:?

Mine is. With 37's and 4.1s cruising rpm (at 100kph) is around 2350 IIRC. Should be sweet in our flat as a pancake country.

5sp. H55.

My 3.9L Isuzu runs close to 900F on a flat road at 100km/h. Something is wrong in your EGT measurement if you can get up any decent hill with that, during acceleration your EGT gauge should lead or at least match boost gauge movement. Does it?

Also - does the thermocouple match the gauge? A gauge for E or J will read low if you use a K-type thermocouple.

During acceleration the egt's go up with boost. I am not acclerating up any hill and keeping at 900, just holding it steady there on one particular hill.
If I accelerate the boost will go up as will the egts.

I love how this truck performs, suits my driving perfectly.
I am running a ct-26 from a celica with the supra housing, boost starts at 1500rpm, have full boost of 8.5 by 2000rpm. I usually drive between 2200 and 2400, I have immediate boost when I want it. Cruising at 100km/h at 2350 rpm at about 5lbs and about 700 degrees (more or less with slight incline).
Been running it for almost 8 years, driven across Canada with it and to the Yukon, have put 130, 000kms on it, works for me.

The probe works fine, it is an isspro, had an autometer before for seven years and it read the same.

I am not the most educated when it comes to the turbo lingo and all that so forgive me :)

My intention for this post was merely to state how my 3B now hauls since the engine swap. Partly due to using stock tires and gears, and also I am sure the camshaft being rebuilt did not hurt either :)

Anyone is welcome to go for a test drive :)

Last edited:
Just went out for a spin in John's truck and am REALLY impressed, it is a pleasure to drive, and with the two of us in it and half a tank of fuel went up the North Van cut like a dream. Lots of traffic at the bottom meant being stuck in third for the first half but shifted into fourth half way up and it accelerated past 80kph with power to spare (and egt just hovering around 1000F) .
All I can say is, JOHN, YA DONE GOOD!!!:cheers:

Last edited:
Hey John, all's sounding good!!!

You can lower your EGT's by actually increasing boost but leaving the fuel setting as is. Try giving yourself 12+/- psi. It's actually amazing how much more performance you'll get when you're boosting over 10 psi. Mine is set to 14psi and climbing local hills is a snap. Haven't done the cut with a turbo on though so I don't have any numbers for you. Other local hills like coming up the hill from the Port Mann bridge I can easily hold 110km/hr with my EGT's hovering around 1050*f (pre-turbo) same as all the other local free way hills around (232nd st east bound, glover rd west bound).
Driving on the flat at 110km/hr my boost is at 10psi and my EGT's at 850.

Hey Rod,
What gear are you in? That sounds impressive. I will try the hill off the port mann tomorrow, have to drive out that way, from what I recall it is not quite as steep and long as the cut. When I had the 33's and 4.1's on I could go up in 4th gear no problem at about 900F preturbo and 85km/h.
Is the speed limit not 80? ;)
I will report back after I try it tomorrow.
As for increasing the boost, I am a little leery about having it too high, but one of these days I will try it higher for an experiment :)
I just need to make an adjustable threaded rod on my spare wastegate arm then I can play around with it whenever :)
J

If my numbers are so strange would mainlanders not be broken too if we are comparing? He is pushing 32's with stock gears and was only slightly warmer than me...
Anyhow point taken, but it is not worrying me. I drove with an autometer pyro for 7 years and now the isspro, the numbers are basically the same, just a little less with the stock tires and gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom