third member switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im plannin on puttin 33's on my 79 and want some 4:11 gears. Is trading third members with someone the best way to get these gears? And how would the lower gears be on the road compared to the 3:70's?

thanks

I'd estimate that your top speed would lower 10-15 mph from the 3.70 thirds. (I can easily cruise below 3k going 70-75 with 3.7's and 31's, but can only hit 60-65 with 4.10's. You'll get more oomph out of your truck (you'll even have to worry about spinning out sometimes) and will be able to go through all of your gears in a short fraction of the time compared to 3.7's... I don't know what the exact compensation of 33's will have, I'd say they tack another 5-10 mph...

4.11:1 was made for 33's

you'll love it

Sort of a hi-jack; I've been thinking of doing this to my 79 FJ40, would you have to use fine spline third member diffs out of a 78 FJ40 or FJ62 or could you use the (from what I've heard, weaker) course spline third members providing you switched to course spline axle shafts.

i don't think the coarse spline diffs from 76-78 ( i might be wrong) were coarse axles, weren't they coarse pinions?

i don't know... the full floaters are fine spline after 76

when you swap, swap slipshafts also, that way neither you or whomever you swap with will have to deal with matching flanges to driveshafts.

i went to 4.11's in my 60 when i went 33s and i'm almost back to stock.

A '75 I had (as with my newer 40's) was fine axle, it was stock as well. Also, what you can do is just change out the spider gears, right? I thought that only the older FJ40's had course axles?

My 71 has the fine axles OE and the coarse pinion.

when discussing fine vs. course on later model 40's they're usually talking about the pinion, not the axles.

This sounds easier than I had anticipated, thanks for the clarifying everyone ,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom