Third Battery for 12v system in 24v truck setups (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another option is a battery equalizer like this one, allows you to tap off the 12v center tap, and the equalizer keeps both batteries in balance preventing un even discharge. I've been using this setup for the last 5 years with no problems. Decided to go with a third battery to completely isolate the 24v system from 12v for better piece of mind. Plus there are minimal options for 24v solar to recharge batteries when camping remote without relying on alternator only.

Another option is a battery equalizer like this one, allows you to tap off the 12v center tap, and the equalizer keeps both batteries in balance preventing un even discharge. I've been using this setup for the last 5 years with no problems. Decided to go with a third battery to completely isolate the 24v system from 12v for better piece of mind. Plus there are minimal options for 24v solar to recharge batteries when camping remote without relying on alternator only.

Seems to me that those Vanner's are really a combination of a 24-12V DC DC convertor and a battery balancer in one package. So that works if you keep the 12V load within spec (you can't use a winch for example ;) ).

Bust most battery balancers of other brands are just that. Using them as a 12V source in a 24V system (2x 12V in series) by taking current from the middlepoint is not recommended because the balancing current is rather low, a few amps or even less. Just enough to keep them balanced when there are slight differences between the batteries or charging conditions e.g. when both batteries are at different locations. with different ambient temperature.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom