Thinking of Selling- Help with Value? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, love my FJ but I need to expand my farm pond so going to have to swap the truck for a body of water... go figure! Curious about the value. Here's the details:

1969 FJ40 completely restored inside and out in 2015
Engine is a 1980 6-cylinder FJ motor, no idea of official miles
Everything works excellent and there's no rust
Some other adds / extras: Nice big tires, Warn winch, aftermarket AC, heavy duty starter, Tuff storage compartment, etc.

I know my buyer is going to be a light-core person- someone who wants the looks and feel of the old FJ but without the hassles / work.

Based on what I see on eBay, it looks like I could get in the mid 30's for it- unless I am missing something. Would value your opinions!

NOTE: New pictures (inside and out) added below.

IMG_6101.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rig. Bite the pond elephant one bite at a time. Buy some shovels and beer. Dig each day. Call on your friends. Keep the 40.

there are so many 'restorations' that are nothing more than a quick spray over it's almost impossible to get a firm price without really looking at all the details and in depth pictures. yours looks legit in the picture. look at the 'bring a trailer' auction site and you can see what similar one's have sold for

Nice rig. Bite the pond elephant one bite at a time. Buy some shovels and beer. Dig each day. Call on your friends. Keep the 40.

Would love to... but the pond is 5 acres and needs to be another 5 acres. That's a lot of digging. Maybe I could invite everyone to the farm in KY on the forum here and we could knock it out in a week. Lots of beer and FJs. lol. Sadly it need dulldozers, not shovels.

Heck though, I may still just keep it if I can't get what I want for it (that would be a sign, right?!).

there are so many 'restorations' that are nothing more than a quick spray over it's almost impossible to get a firm price without really looking at all the details and in depth pictures. yours looks legit in the picture. look at the 'bring a trailer' auction site and you can see what similar one's have sold for

It's done really well. I will have to get more pictures- was just looking for ballparks really to decide if I should sell it or not. I don't want to- I enjoy it the few times I drive it around- but life is life!

i'm with you. it's just really hard to tell - i try to follow the auctions etc and the one's i think are nothing special sometimes or with obvious issues and additions in poor test (imho) end up selling for $60k. others, which i feel are really nice examples, barely break $20k. if it's as nice as it looks in that picture, $30k would be very reasonable

Would love to... but the pond is 5 acres and needs to be another 5 acres. That's a lot of digging. Maybe I could invite everyone to the farm in KY on the forum here and we could knock it out in a week. Lots of beer and FJs. lol. Sadly it need dulldozers, not shovels.

Heck though, I may still just keep it if I can't get what I want for it (that would be a sign, right?!).

5 acre pond already. Nice. You probably have a reason for another 5 acres we don’t know about. I would be happy with a 5 acre pond. Hell, a 1 acre pond. That’s me though. Trying to get you to keep the 40.

i'm with you. it's just really hard to tell - i try to follow the auctions etc and the one's i think are nothing special sometimes or with obvious issues and additions in poor test (imho) end up selling for $60k. others, which i feel are really nice examples, barely break $20k. if it's as nice as it looks in that picture, $30k would be very reasonable

It's as nice as the picture- probably nicer when the inside is taken into account (where a lot of trucks fall off). Either way, I guess the only way to really know is try the free market with a reserve...

How original is it; I know you said later engine, but is it still column shifted 3 speed? Disc brakes, power steering? Stock gauges, switches, seats, etc? In the current market, I’d start in the mid $40’s if it is stockish. I think the price goes down some with things like aftermarket gauges, seats, etc. But that also depends on location. I’m west coast and they are going nuts over here. I think if you do sell, broad advertising is key. List on here, see about being a trailer, etc. Good luck.

How original is it; I know you said later engine, but is it still column shifted 3 speed? Disc brakes, power steering? Stock gauges, switches, seats, etc? In the current market, I’d start in the mid $40’s if it is stockish. I think the price goes down some with things like aftermarket gauges, seats, etc. But that also depends on location. I’m west coast and they are going nuts over here. I think if you do sell, broad advertising is key. List on here, see about being a trailer, etc. Good luck.

Everything is "FJ" equipment. Some new, some older, but all proper for the vehicle with the only exceptions really being the winch, tires and the aftermarket AC.

Part of my decision to sell (possibly, lol) is that yes- the market seems to be at a really good spot. So giving away my truck is one thing, but making a little money in the process would be nice too.

Proper for the year or proper for the vehicle? Originality drives price. Nice looking rig, I would keep it, I think they are on the rise again. Just my $.02

If the resto is nicely done, it looks as good on the inside as it does in the picture and the only adds are the AC and tires then those shouldn’t take away any value. Mid 30’s is probably real close to what you’d get.

nice looking truck. wish i could afford it!

you should just put a snow plow on the front and use it as your bulldozer! that way you get both things you want😜

if there’s a way to keep it my 2 cents is find a way to keep it. you’ll probably regret letting such a nice one go!

Bring a Trailer is a really good place to sell, and to get an understanding of market trends. Their scatter charts are pretty handy- see this page:

you can click on the individual data points to look at the listing to get a better sense of market comparables. IMO, your rig is a mid-to-high $30's rig all day long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom