1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thinking of removing the heater/blower under the hood to make room for....

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by wantatlc, Aug 5, 2005.

1. wantatlc

wantatlc

so, I was thinking of removing a huge, never used heater/blower that sits on the fire wall of the passenger side of my 1974 fj40 to make room for an air pump/compressor that I could hook up to the battery. the battery is right across from it in a straight shot, the heater pump never gets used in So Cal.

see any problems with this. will it break anything crucial to remove that useless beast?

(yeah, I know electrical run compressors are slow compared to an engine, run, but I do not have the $$ to put in an engine run version and all I want to do is have a way to air up tires and beach toys)

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Should not be an issue. I have seen many Land Cruisers that have the heater blower motor, core and other parts removed because the truck does not see cold weather. Seems like there would be ample room there for what you are looking at doing.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. 65swb45

65swb45 Supporting Vendor

I pulled my fan motor for the same reason. Got a big toolbox with the ARB compressor inside it all running along the top of the passenger fender and over the battery. Loosing the duct inside the cab also gives the passenger more leg room. At the local electronics shop I found a small 12v fan that will fit inside the inlet of the heater to get some air moving across the heater core.

Then I just took the heater out anyways. ;p

4. PUPTLAM

PUPTLAM

Media:
    Albums:
    In virginia we need a working defrost to pass inspection. If you dont need it for that I say go for it.

5. wantatlc

wantatlc

I did it and it is awesome. I will post pictures soon. I used an old cookie sheet to fab a bracket (as it is good strong aluminum). I then matched the bolt pattern of the heater. I then mounted the air compressor to the bracket and to the pump mount. Now, there is a portable air compressor within reach of the battery terminals under the hood. home made on board air!

6. nats-fj40

nats-fj40

Mounted my viair compressor there, also made a power point and aux fuse box for all the relays I needed. With the tank mounted underneath it works fine, til I get that aux. fuel tank I want.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  7. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    if you wanted a heater still, a one peice heater/blower out of an old mini truck(or whatever) might work

8. Cat Scan

Cat Scan

Should not be an issue. There are aftermarket units available for this purpose that go in the cab and all that bulk under the hood may be removed.

9. Russian

Russian

I wanna try samurai heater unit - it's quite compact and I wanna route its air intake into snorkel.

10. wantatlc

wantatlc

11. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    did the same thing, only i mouted my battery there