Thinking of lining my flares myself, what say you? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, i have gotten two estimates around town to linex and rino line my fender flares. THey were $450 and $480. I think that's way to expensive.

Sooooooo, my tight-wad ass is thinking of durabacking or some type of do-it-yourself lining on the flares. I mean, really, how hard could it be.

I have a good grinder with flapper wheels to remove the paint. I can easily get masking tape to line the flares in the desired pattern. I have aluminum tape to fill the holes if i don't weld them closed. Clean and prep the area with rubbing alcohol, then apply the do-it-yourself lining.

Figured i could do this for around $100 to $150.

Anyone with experience with do-it-yourself linings got any suggestions?

What would you all suggest as the best brand to use?

I'm doing the same thing with my flares, linex was over $400 so I shelled out a little over $120 for supplies to do this on my own.

Biff said:
I'm doing the same thing with my flares, linex was over $400 so I shelled out a little over $120 for supplies to do this on my own.

Could this be a result of you loosing a flare? :eek:

Biff, what type of lining are you using?

Get some duraback s*** and go for it. $80 for a gallon of that stuff, planning on doing the hood and flares of my rig.

Brentbba said:
Could this be a result of you loosing a flare? :eek:

Yup, every time I have an accident I take it as a chance to do another mod. :D Can't have to many more accidents because my wife has caught on to me and now thinks I do this on purpose so I can do a new mod.

I'm using this, only thing is that you have to buy there special spray gun that goes with the can. No biggie, as long as I keep expenses under $150 I'm good.

Biff said:
Yup, every time I have an accident I take as a chance to do another mod. :D My wife has caught on to me and now thinks I have accidents on purpose so I can buy new things.

ROTFLMAO! That's priceless Victor! Wonder if I come home with a dented front bumper from SnT if my wife will be suspicious? Told her yesterday I'd like a new front bumper for the beast now that I'm not driving her old leased Lexus anymore. We turned in the Lexus Saturday and I'm damn glad to be back in the LC. :D

Edit - BTW, my price of silence may be getting expensive. :idea:

Brentbba said:
Edit - BTW, my price of silence may be getting expensive. :idea:

That reminds me, you still want one of the lug wrenches I got a few months back. I sold about 90 to a store and still have ten left.

Biff said:
That reminds me, you still want one of the lug wrenches I got a few months back. I sold about 90 to a store and still have ten left.

I'm cheap - that's good enough a price for silence. hehehe :D

I say go for it. I did it on the roof rack mount scars on the LX. Just brushed it on, took a few coats to build up any thickness, would use a roller for larger areas.

find some wire tape. regular masking tape will not cut through the liner goo.

prep well.

mask everything, then mask even more.

If you get drips, don't sweat it -- apparently even the pros get some goo dripping off. The guy who did mine cut the drips with a utility blade.

it should go without saying, but you might want to test on some scrap first.

Are you planning on spraying or rolling the stuff on?

NorCalDoug said:
find some wire tape. regular masking tape will not cut through the liner goo.

Are you planning on spraying or rolling the stuff on?

Good point Doug. I will find some wire tape. I plan on rolling it on.

Regular masking tape works fine with herculiner. Make sure you use the good, very sticky 3M green stuff. You pull the tape as soon as the liner has set up.

nyk438 said:
Get some duraback s*** and go for it. $80 for a gallon of that stuff, planning on doing the hood and flares of my rig.

Might want to think twice about that hood idea as a "bedliner" product does insulating properties and will add some weight to that hood. Hope you have some new hood props!

-Ammo

Any pics of what this process is or looks like after it is finnished. After reading all the posts all I really am sure of is you don't want it on the old wedding tackle

I rhino lined my flares for C$200. My plan at the start was to do everything myself using a spray-can gravelguard type product. I got talked out of it because I couldn't find anything that was UV stable. Apparently unpainted black gravelguard turns purple after a while, and I didn't want to keep touching up the flares. HTH, Greg.

Aussie cruiser said:
Any pics of what this process is or looks like after it is finnished. After reading all the posts all I really am sure of is you don't want it on the old wedding tackle

I had mine done professionally.

Looks something like this...
flare.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom