Thinking Of Intercooling My 12ht (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I am on a fact finding mission in to intercooling my 12ht after a 1200 mile trip down to the Bay area from Oregon. The truck ran great however the only draw back was the passes and a cruel headwind which brought speed down and egt temps up. I would hope to get a bit more love out of the motor with an intercooler.
I have search this sight looking for all information from members. I Idealy would like to front mount the cooler since I do not nessisarily want to cut the hood if all possible.
From what I have researched so far I know that I do not need a large cooler from the research that Tapage and others have done. Thank you for the leg work. One question is is there a manufaturer for the intake manifold adaptor what have others done? Mnaufactured one or is there a more I dare say universal toyota part? Any help and or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Hey all, I am on a fact finding mission in to intercooling my 12ht after a 1200 mile trip down to the Bay area from Oregon. The truck ran great however the only draw back was the passes and a cruel headwind which brought speed down and egt temps up. I would hope to get a bit more love out of the motor with an intercooler.
I have search this sight looking for all information from members. I Idealy would like to front mount the cooler since I do not nessisarily want to cut the hood if all possible.
From what I have researched so far I know that I do not need a large cooler from the research that Tapage and others have done. Thank you for the leg work. One question is is there a manufaturer for the intake manifold adaptor what have others done? Mnaufactured one or is there a more I dare say universal toyota part? Any help and or pics would be greatly appreciated.

I'm 6 months ahead of you with my research (the blue 60 with the HZ-t - formerly from Bend).

New radiator - Alum. Toyota Red and move everything out of the way on the front end are the best low-tech solutions I've had good luck with.

I have seen one reference to the 60 series have poor aerodynamics and engine bay air-flow. Be careful before you invest in an intercooler.

I also took a close look at the front end the other day. There isn't much space (thickness) to put an intercooler up front without serious grill modifications.

I'm toying with a few ideas: add more air; heatwrap and shield my turbo and exhaust; add some form of in-line cooler to the post-turbo coolant hose (I get hot radiator/head, but oil temps don't go over 220f or so); cut the hood for top mount intercooler (Tapage style); vent the hood (Mercruiser style); or heaven forbid - slow down.

I just invested $39 in a two-probe remote BBQ temp guage and will experiment with measuring where/when/how the high temps are generated and how hot the post turbo-intake air gets, etc. (in conjunction with boost/EGT/Oil temps). All to be done on the upcoming trip to Moab - HWY 50 is the perfect test ground.

The next low-tech experiment will be to tape a bunch of survey tape on the hood and actually see how the air flows over my blue brick.

Bob

I too am part way thru intercooling my 12h-t but due to land purchase, new job and barn building it is becoming a long term project.My reasons were to lower egts while towing a horse trailer and while increasing the boost using an aftermarket boost adjuster.

I have spent many hours on the net looking for 12h-t intercooling and have seen Tapages and Burgers ideas as well as a few others but I couldnt get around the fact that there is not a lot of room at the front of the 60. Unless you remove the grill and replace it with a big air to air I couldnt see how to fit it all in. My truck has the stock radiator, then air con condensor then pto winch. Also the routing of pipes all the way forward through the engine bay seemed to be a bit of a mission as well.

After mucho calculations of engine air usage i have a intercooler unit from a 2litre subaru engine which has the same air flow at 6000rpm as the 12h-t at 3000. The intercooler is an air-water type and is maybe 350 x 175 x 70mm. The cooling radiator is maybe 350 x 300 x 30mm.

To fit the cooling radiator in I have had to remount the grill about 20-25mm forward of its normal location which took maybe 1/2 a day to figure out and move using aluminium flat bar as new mounts. The radiator then slipped in on the drivers side (right) of the grill area.

My HJ61 had a large water tank for the headlight washers which sits behind the battery on the passengers (left side). The washers are pretty ineffective so I removed the tank and the water pump bolted into some existing holes in the frame.

This is as far as I have got .

things to do:
I intend to install the air-water unit on the passengers (left side) up toward the firewall, where currently the air-con drier is sitting. The aircon drier will have to be moved down lower for clearance and get a longer hose from the compressor. The turbo-intercooler pipe will be quite short, perhaps 350mm and the intercooler-engine pipe will be longer than standard by about the same.

I need to pressure check the air-water cooler

I may need a vent in the hood over the air-water cooler unit as it does get hot under the bonnet

my truck is 24v so I need to measure the pump flow and try and find a 24v pump. I already have several 12v accessories on my 25amp convertor and cannot put the pump on too

I will need to get a tune up!. I will need a professional to adjust the fuel etc to suit the increased boost. i want to turn the boosts up to 12 or so from the standard 8.5psi.

I can try and some pics if you like

I hope this helps

cheers
Gerard

Bob, your right there is not that much room up front. However, there I do have some room to move my rad and shroud back tword the motor about 1" which should give ample room. Now, slowing down is crazy talk. Adding more air is a good start and I would very much like to see any mods to a cold air intake and if there is much gain in the way of performance and lower scores on the egt test.

Gerard,
Go crusaders, I would love to see pics of your set up. Lowering egts is one of my main goals. Now in doing so if I get aheap more power out of the beast then so much to the better. Ever thing helps on this front. Much appreciated

Here are some photos. The cooling radiator at the front may look like it has tons of room but the air con radiator frame and plumbing is only millimetres from the cooling radiator down below.

Air-water unit is just sitting there for effect and would actually be sitting lower so the bonnet can close.

Pump is just visible behind the battery

cheers
Gerard
IMG_1720d.jpg
IMG_1723d.jpg
IMG_1724d.jpg

Overheat/Intercool/60 Series - HAPPY information.

I just returned home from the latest testing. 84-FJ60 with 1HZ & Safari Turbo, ARB, winch, snorkle. 50f ambiant air temps, oil did not go over 200f, EGT's 1100+ for over ten minutes, boost 9lbs.

My dual read remote BBQ thermometer is currently placed at: #1 - top hose on way into radiator; #2 taped onto post-turbo air intake.

Radiator in-fluid went to 175f and no higher. At same time oil temp was 200f, EGT's 1100+, and post-turbo intake air was 156f.

History: overheating at HWY/Load speeds. Moved 1/4inch mesh off front = 1 needle width lower: Adjust location of winch controller = 1 needle width lower: Toyota Red = 2 needle widths lower: Moved winch controller to flat plate on ARB - clear FJ60/ARB radiator air inflow = 2 more needle widths on dummy guage.

I'll be playing around with this more over the next few weeks, but simple air-flow really appears to play a LARGE part in cooling.

Bob

Hey guys you are still playing !!!! nice to see it ..

Interesting mounting in front .. I'm a little tires to play with it and here in Panama we have no chance to bet with cold temps .. usually 30 C aprox throught the day .. so keeping in mind poor air flow on front of 60 series .. I choose tip mounted ( and I lke my hood scoop ) but certanly the intercooler be more efcicient in the front ..

Gedrish interesting the subaru equipment .. but you are still thinking in turbo lag ..?

Has anyone abandoned the OEM fan and post and replaced with thin puller fans (junk yard) then move the radiator back allowing more room for intercooler. seems without the fan post and shroud you would have a ton of room

Has anyone abandoned the OEM fan and post and replaced with thin puller fans (junk yard) then move the radiator back allowing more room for intercooler. seems without the fan post and shroud you would have a ton of room

I'm not a fan f a electric stuff .. if lees in my Cruiser .. better to me. But it's a valid option ...

I am formerly of Bend, OR as well. I just put an intercooler on my 85 BJ70. I went with a 29" wide, 9" tall, 3" thick intercooler from CXRACING off of ebay. My turbo hoses, came from www.turbohoses.com. With a diesel it is essential to buy the "hub hoses" to absorb engine vibration and movement. It cost me 200 buck to have a quality muffler shop run mandrel bent tubing. This made a huge difference in power and egts.
I am guessing the original poster of this thread is the fellow who talked withme in the Steens at the hot springs about 2 years ago?

I'll be playing around with this more over the next few weeks, but simple air-flow really appears to play a LARGE part in cooling. Bob

Hi Bob. Have you tried and seen any difference with using Redline Wetter Water for diesels? Interesting about the coolant drop using Toyota red.

gb

Overheat/Intercool/60 Series - HAPPY information.

I just returned home from the latest testing. 84-FJ60 with 1HZ & Safari Turbo, ARB, winch, snorkle. 50f ambiant air temps, oil did not go over 200f, EGT's 1100+ for over ten minutes, boost 9lbs.

My dual read remote BBQ thermometer is currently placed at: #1 - top hose on way into radiator; #2 taped onto post-turbo air intake.

Radiator in-fluid went to 175f and no higher. At same time oil temp was 200f, EGT's 1100+, and post-turbo intake air was 156f.

History: overheating at HWY/Load speeds. Moved 1/4inch mesh off front = 1 needle width lower: Adjust location of winch controller = 1 needle width lower: Toyota Red = 2 needle widths lower: Moved winch controller to flat plate on ARB - clear FJ60/ARB radiator air inflow = 2 more needle widths on dummy guage.

I'll be playing around with this more over the next few weeks, but simple air-flow really appears to play a LARGE part in cooling.

Bob

Robert, what radiator are you using?

NOTE: I tried sending you a private message and your mailbox is FULL! You need to clear some before it will accept anymore messages......

Tom

I started out with an electric fan - up to 500hp. Sold it a month later. Bob

I am formerly of Bend, OR as well. I just put an intercooler on my 85 BJ70. I went with a 29" wide, 9" tall, 3" thick intercooler from CXRACING off of ebay. My turbo hoses, came from www.turbohoses.com. With a diesel it is essential to buy the "hub hoses" to absorb engine vibration and movement. It cost me 200 buck to have a quality muffler shop run mandrel bent tubing. This made a huge difference in power and egts.
I am guessing the original poster of this thread is the fellow who talked withme in the Steens at the hot springs about 2 years ago?

Steens - that would be me, but not the one who started the thread. Bob

Greg - DEI Radiator Relief - it's in their with the Toyota Red - spaced that little detail

Tapage - Alum. radiator, from guys that make Man-A-Fre's Alum. rad.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/contact.htm .

I had to move the bottom outlet over a couple inches (directly above the frame support) to fit my cooling fan.

Hi Tapage

Turbo lag was a consideration I guess but I really dont know too much about it to be honest. however I sorta suscribe to the theory that once the system is pressurised it cant take much to boost it fully.??

my main considerations were to keep the front of the truck stock and to avoid the complex plumbing that a front mount air to air would involve. To get a 2.5 inch pipe through beside the radiator would mean moving the battery and air con plumbing as well.

Or do you mean that i might suffer from turbo lag?

cheers
gerard

I started out with an electric fan - up to 500hp. Sold it a month later. Bob

500 HP in a 2H turbo . ? :eek:

Hi Tapage

Turbo lag was a consideration I guess but I really dont know too much about it to be honest. however I sorta suscribe to the theory that once the system is pressurised it cant take much to boost it fully.??

once you have the hole system pressurized have no turbo lag problem .. the issue come with you shift and you loose boost .. trying to rear up it again fast ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom