1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of getting a cheap paint job on my FJ40

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by joey93turbo, Jul 29, 2005.

1. joey93turbo

joey93turbo

First of all, this post is for the guys who care what their FJ40's look like :flipoff2:

The paint on my FJ40 right now is a hardened glass filled epoxy that's extremely durable but it looks like it's been sittin in the sun for 50 years. You can't buff or polish it, and when you rub up against it, it sorta comes off and turns your hands and clothes light blue.

I'm planning on a frame off renovation of the cruiser and at that time I'm going to spend some big bucks on a real nice paint job in and out. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to do that until the winter of '06/'07.

It's summer now and I'd really like the FJ40 to look better than it does now, until I can afford to paint it the right way. I KNOW if I did the prep work and took it to MAACO or somewhere else for a cheap job it'd look at least a few times better than it does now, cause at least it'd shine. I'd be willing to spend $300-$600 to make my rig look good for this and next summer until I can restore it.

Does anyone have any experience with cheap paint jobs from places such as MAACO? I'd appreciate any insight you guys could offer me.

2. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    I put a cheap MAACO paint job on the 40 when i brought it up north - i wanted to make sure all the exposed metal was covered up before the NE rust took over. It cost me under $1K and that was with a little metal work too. I didnt go for the cheapest package i stuck with the middle one that gives you a bit of warrenty on the paint. Overall it was a decent job and worth the $$
    IMO if you are going to do a frame off, but need paint on it now - go to MACCO. If you take all the stuff, i.e. lights, mud flaps, then you can get it cheaper

3. joey93turbo

joey93turbo

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. Maybe I should've posted this in the Tech section? Not many reply's here. I figured I'd post it here so I could get feedback from all the land cruiser guys instead of just the FJ40 guys.

4. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    Sand paper.... wet sanding... elbow grease.... primer where needed and some rattle can... 50 bucks and it looks good. The last two tone pig paint job I did looked so good people thought we had it painted at a shop.

5. joey93turbo

joey93turbo

This is my first time doing any of this, and it'd be awesome if I could get some recommendations before I embark on this endeavor. You guys know of any good websites with step by step directions on prep work?

6. Deny

Deny

7. rusmannx

rusmannx

rattle can it.
    we did it to my friend's 77-40, and it turned out nice. we still need to wetsand the hood, and a couple of rough places..... but it will probably never get done.

8. elum

elum

If it's only a temp think I'd do it myself... I would however look into renting a booth...

9. nick

nick

Why do it twice? Do it right the first time.

10. 89s rule

89s rule

why not just deal with it for another year or 2. if you have $ buring a hole in your pocket then spend it on something that you truely need. there is always something that we as cruiser people need.

11. msahr

msahr

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldn't rattle can it. After you do all the prep work and remove all the trim you will spend a ton of money on enough paint cans, paper/masking tape, wet sandpaper, etc to buy a "medium cheap" paint job especially if you get someone that can "just spray it".

Whatever you do go with a shiny finish. The previous owner of my 40 liked the "rough, flat" look and it looks like hell. You can't keep it clean and it especially is very good at holding greasy dirt.

12. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

Here is what you can do with a small amount of time and tons of energy - painting a FJ40 is easier than you think - this was my first real auto painting project... Plus i know every nook and cranny and it all got primer and paint on it - you won't get that at Maaco - better to just wait until you can do it.

http://homepage.mac.com/desertdude/PhotoAlbum47.html

click on the various pages

13. swank60

swank60

Wait until the Atlanta sun hits that Maaco paint job - you want me to send pictures of my 60 so you can see how bad it'll look in 6 months?

IH8MAACO

14. desertdude

desertdude SILVER Star

15. joey93turbo

joey93turbo

swank60 - is it a problem with their paint or what? can't you pay extra to have them spray it with something decent?

16. honk

honk

Media:
    Joey,
    You'll have to go talk to your local Maaco place. They're franchise operations and while the products and practices are dictated by the home company the franchise owner has the ability to adjust for individual cases but he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.... It's a high production operation and you probably won't get personally preferential treatment - meaning they won't slow their program for you.
    They'll want you to just pick your color, sign your contract, and come back to pay up when they're done.

17. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    I have 2 more years of warrenty....I hope it fades in 6mo that way i get a free paintjob..... ;)

18. zetasig

zetasig

19. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

screw the rattle can approach, go buy yourself a spray gun (half decent are under $100), prep proper and mask then by a gallon of your favorite colour and spray. the secret is to spray heavy enough to shine but not heavy enough to run.
    if it is dull not enough paint applied. over lap each pass 50%. for the hood remove it from the vehicle and put it flat about foot to 2 feet off the ground and hold the gun 90 degrees about 2 1/2 ft above the hood and do a S L O W criss cross pattern and you will be amazed at the results.
    some people have a nack to this and you just might be one of them.
    read and practice and save yourself a ton of money...
    check out my website for some garage paint jobs...
    cheers