1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

THinking of buying a Line-X franchise Thoughts would be appreciated

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 94landcruiser, Aug 23, 2006.

1. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

40k buy in 350.00 per pickup 50% profit per truck, lots of other uses.

What do you guys think?

2. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

When you say profit you mean "other than material"...or does that include labor?

You need to get a business plan together, figure in rent utlities, the whole nine yards...figure out hoe many a year you need to be profitable, and what kind of marketing it will take to get you there...

(is it obvious I just completed said plan?)

Market area? Hard to find an area with need that hasn't jumped on the bandwagon?

Here a car dealership bought the Rhino franchise...kind of weird seeing all the new Fords lined up at the Chevy dealership.

228 vehicles to do to pay for it....any ongoing cots?

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I think owning and running a strip club would be more profitable...

no...hold on...that was something to do instead of running a Jiffy Lube...

business plan would be a good place to start.

if the numbers pan out, I think it's a good company to go with -- name recognition is definitely out there.

4. mooker82

mooker82

I remember the strip club argument. Almost made me want to open a "gentleman's club"

5. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

It would be here in Mexico (actual buy in is 38k Tax is the other 2k) there is no Line-x competetion in this state and I would own this state. Profit is on materials, 15.00 a day is great for a worker, rent would be free as I own the lot (but will charge myself and pay myself as that is good business)

The numbers are good but I have pulled the triger on three other businesses in the last five years that failed where the numbers panned out on paper, not in reality.

I am gun shy and can afford to let the money earn CD interest rather than throw it away. That said I'd like to have a place to go in the morning and real work to do. (I did take the garbage disposal apart and fix it this morning so that counts for earning 100.00) lol

6. NorCalDoug

if you're going to restrict your customers to gentlemen, you're gonna cut way down on your customer pool.

:D

7. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

That would limit you to about 12 men per major metropolitan area all of whom would not consider entering such an establishment.

8. mooker82

mooker82

Thats just to add a touch of class. You know gold and mirrors everywhere. Make all the guys take their hats off because they are disrespectful to the strippers. :confused: .....Not like some of the ones we have local that have $.75 Busch Beer on draft and $4.00 all you can eat roast beef buffets at lunch. :frown:

9. NorCalDoug

I think it's time for you to act on this.

Start with researching the local competition, then travel to Vegas to pick up some pointers.

It'll be tough work, but you know what they all say...sometimes sacrifices must be made.

10. NorCalDoug

(to get back on track)

Any reason to go with the Line-X corp in Mexico? I don't know the Mexican market well at all...would a generic (i.e. non-corporate) bed liner company work there?

11. mooker82

mooker82

Sorry for the sidetrack. Strip clubs tend to do that to me. :D .

I would try to establish myself with local car dealers. A lot of our dealers here will have bedliner sprayed into new trucks. Although Line-X is probably not know as a "high quality brand" in Mexico I would definately stick with a better product over a generic brand. We have had many cheaper brands that open up and then close down when customers start bringing their trucks back in with the liner peeling up.

12. SR.GRINGO

SR.GRINGO

Mexican's are big on brand recognation--they all drink Coke--at least 3 a day. Same with beer they all want pacifico. If they can afford it they are wearing kswiss or nike, etc. Line-X would probably go over well if you can get in writing that you have the distributorship for your state. Then get your local ford and chevy guys to sign on at a discounted price.

13. Rhinoliner

Rhinoliner

Ever been in business for yourself before? Can you wear all of the hats that you will need to wear?

Such as: Salesperson, Manager, Purchaser, Marketer, Accountant, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Problem Solver for any situation that comes up, Decision Maker for any and all decisions that need to be made, Prep and Spray Technician so your employees can't hold it over your head that you must have them to be in operation. Those are a few that come to mind immediately.

When you put together your plan don't forget about things like shop insurance, tools, remodelling of your building, signs and Yellow Page Ads (which are criminally expensive). Also, keep in mind miscellaneous shop supplies like masking tape, masking paper, Denatured Alcohol, Acetone, wiping towels, wire tape, fiber tape, Etc. That stuff adds up. We average almost $40 per truck on things I consider general shop supplies.

All that being said, if you can do it and have a little cushion to cover you until you can get it all up and running, I say go for it. It is very rewarding to be self employed and make your business successful. It is also a lot of work, so get ready. It is not like a job that you can walk away from at 5:00 PM and not think about again until the next day. Your business will always be on your mind to some extent.

I think Line-X has a good product and name brand recognition, at least in the US. And, they certainly have a much better National marketing campaign (IMHOP) than Rhino Linings, which is basically non-existent. Good luck in your decision.

14. calamaridog

calamaridog

Go for it. They have the best product.

What state would it be in?

15. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

Thanks for the great input. My Brother in Law's best friend owns the Chevrolet dealer and another friend Ford so that idea was instrumental.

The brand recognition and quality are why I choose Line-X.

I ran my Law practice for 20 years, have owned a restaurant, and an automotive shop (in the U.S.) money both for the short and long term are not a problem, I just don't want to waste time and money again.

I prefer to keep the state on the down low for now.

16. NorCalDoug

Mexico...not quite a state...yet... :D

17. firetruck41

firetruck41

Yeah, but at least Rhinolining is a better product than Line-x. I hate the rock hard, no grip line-x liners, the Rhinolining is much better IMHO, stuff doesn't slide all around the cargo area, and it feels better to the touch. :)

18. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Not to dis ya or anything....but you might want to take ahard look at why the previous businesses failed...just to make sure it was not you or anything else you could've done...

No need to be embarrased by that, no offense, I have seen some people repeat the same mistakes over and over.....if it wasn't you, disregard...sounds like a good market and territory:beer:

19. Jetboy

Jetboy

Media:
    Albums:
    just something to think about, Many trucks are coming with either factoy spray in liners or plastic beds. If the trend continues it could spell the end for the business in truck beds. Maybe still sell to boater ect. Just something to figure in.

20. 94landcruiser

94landcruiser

No dis taken, and I am 100% aware of the issues involved.

Business one was selling kids clothes, Abercrombie, Hollister, Old Navy etc. The store went for three years before it failed when the market was satureted by other stores.

Number two was a voip phone "store" I provided long distance and it never took off because my partner did not do his part, marketing.

Three was doing legal work the actual loss was just my time. Still irritating.

We'll see what I do. I really appreciate all te constructive input.

Thanks

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">