Thinking of buying a 2016+ Land Cruiser - Owner Feedback? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bought my 2016 used with 44k miles on it in May 2018. Then drove it from Maine to San Diego. Great ride, better than my Tacoma could have provided. I now have 75k miles on it and the only maintenance since then has been rear brakes, new tires (ridge grapplers) and the transmission software update.

Sounds good.
I think to be fair to people that compare a stock LC for mid 80k to competitors they do look a bit boring, but make up for it in many other ways

I think we will go with a LC, but I also think I’ll make it look a bit off-road safari looking to give it some character and not have it so stock looking

maybe a bull bar up front with spots, and a light bar up top, a spare tire on the rear trunk
Etc

I would evaluate the pros and cons of both vehicles and then decide what is most important to you in a vehicle. The LCs are very capable off road, even bone stock, and have legendary long-term reliability. They drive great and feel rock solid on and off the road. They also tow an amazing amount for their size.

The downside is that they get lousy gas mileage (I average about 16mpg mixed driving with stock tires) and lack many of the features that you probably would find on a Mercedes or other high-end SUV. The infotainment/GPS system is a bit antiquated in my opinion and lacks features such as Apple Play. I've never been a fan of the Toyota nav system and instead rely on Google Maps on my phone. The digital display on the dash is not as advanced as those from many other auto makers.

I off road my 'Cruiser quite a bit and use it for camping, cycling, surfing, etc. I frequently have muddy, sandy, or dirty gear thrown in the back. I sometimes take it deep into the back country and want to be sure I don't get stranded due to an unreliable rig. For these reasons, the reliability and off-road capability of the LC far outweigh the lack of features found in other cars. Plus I think 'Cruisers have a huge cool factor that makes them more attractive to me than other SUVs. After owning my 200 series for a few months, I plan to keep this rig until it literally won't drive any more.

If I wasn't planning to off-road much, and simply wanted a spacious rig with AWD of 4WD for road trips that occasionally involved driving on snow or sand, I might have considered something else with better tech and better mpg.

The good thing about 'Cruisers is that if you decide you don't like it, you'll have no problem unloading it for close to what you paid for it, especially if you buy a used one.

Bought my 2016 used with 44k miles on it in May 2018. Then drove it from Maine to San Diego. Great ride, better than my Tacoma could have provided. I now have 75k miles on it and the only maintenance since then has been rear brakes, new tires (ridge grapplers) and the transmission software update.

You should really change your oil. 🤪

If you were going to buy a used or new with mods LC, where would you all suggest looking, and what year/mileage would be ok for used?
Any changes since 2016?

im using the typical
Autotrader
Cars.com
Edmunds
Toyota website

I’m also looking at Ed Martin Toyota, seems to be a place doing some modified Landcruisers

If new, Ed Martin hands down. Used, wherever you can find them. I found my last two cruisers at a dealer a couple hours away. The ones before that were craigslist purchases.

I found that the east coast mid-Atlantic and New England had the most variety using autotrader and ebay. I found a dozen of various models, color, mileage and years before picking one in Mass.

If I were you, search midwest and south for a truck. You might pay a little more but there will be zero rust to worry about.

I’d be worried about any rust on a new or newish vehicle, under 3 years old...

I’d be worried about any rust on a new or newish vehicle, under 3 years old...

I checked out a 2016 for my cousin that came from NY. Had only 40k on it and the KDSS seemed like it had been in the bottom of the ocean, drive shaft had a lot of rust, along with rear axle and all the weld seems. Might have been surface rust, but at ~50k I wouldn't want to see any rust.

Damn right! That’s terrible
Well with me living in the north east should I get any sort of under carriage treatment??

I use Fluid Film, but there is also Wool Wax and other options out there.

For reference, I just had my front brake pads replaced at the dealer @ 43k miles, rears still had quite a bit of life left. Cost for OEM pads and machined rotors was $199.

Buy one and don’t turn back. I also considered other SUVs. GLS550, LRRRSC,G550, Tahoe Denali and Raptor. It came down to the Raptor and LC. After driving around in my buddies brand new Raptor with Baja 37” package which is freaking awesome, it was a pain in the rear to find parking and drive it daily. Plus when you start thinking about where you can take it off-road in the Smokies, forget about it, it’s so dang wide and big. If I lived in AZ, it would be a blast to have there. LC for me and hopefully my last suv

P.S maintenance in a LC is cheap cheap cheap compared to your Mercedes. I’ve owned plenty of Mercs, so I know the cost once the maintenance plan is up.

Damn right! That’s terrible
Well with me living in the north east should I get any sort of under carriage treatment??

definitely. if you don’t want to tackle it yourself look for a Krown or NH Oil Undercoating shop.

I have a 2016.

The 2016+ has a lot of nice mods, plus some corrections to issues.

The places you are looking are good, but also is available is ask the dealer to search.
There is a cut of of 36k miles for the cheap extended service plans that run out to 100K plus your mileage at purchase.

As for the Safari looking things, I do have a spare mounted on my rear bumper "BUT" I would not have got it if I didn't add the aux fuel tank for extended range. It's much nicer accessing that back area without having to open the spare tire swing out.
I would advise against that tire swing out unless you are getting the aux tank.
They do make nice front and rear bumpers for these vehicles. I went with ARB but there are other nice options.

The front brake pads were replaced at about 40k, and other than that just the regular maintenance.
The water pump can go out at 90k. Some people just replace it then to avoid an incident.

My wife's friend has a G500 and likes the LC better.

I have a 2016.

The 2016+ has a lot of nice mods, plus some corrections to issues.

The places you are looking are good, but also is available is ask the dealer to search.
There is a cut of of 36k miles for the cheap extended service plans that run out to 100K plus your mileage at purchase.

As for the Safari looking things, I do have a spare mounted on my rear bumper "BUT" I would not have got it if I didn't add the aux fuel tank for extended range. It's much nicer accessing that back area without having to open the spare tire swing out.
I would advise against that tire swing out unless you are getting the aux tank.
They do make nice front and rear bumpers for these vehicles. I went with ARB but there are other nice options.

The front brake pads were replaced at about 40k, and other than that just the regular maintenance.
The water pump can go out at 90k. Some people just replace it then to avoid an incident.

My wife's friend has a G500 and likes the LC better.

photo ?? Lol
Gotta see it

photo ?? Lol
Gotta see it

attached

PC240014.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom