Thinking of buying a 2016+ Land Cruiser - Owner Feedback? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

So admittedly I am not an offroader, at least not yet and I am not traveling through forests or mountain passes etc.

I need a new SUV and I have narrowed it down to a Mercedes GLS Versus a Land Cruiser.
I have a Tundra truck, and currently have a GLS already coming to the end of its lease. The GLS has been fine with no issues, but theres a difference between leasing and owning, and im thinking of buying my next vehicle.

My questions to you guys would be:
I am considering a 2016+ with 45,000 miles or less. How reliable long term are these Land Cruisers?
Does the 200 series still have the reputation of the older Land Cruisers....what they gained their reputation from?
Is fixing them expensive? (Because they are also expensive to buy)
One thing with the Mercedes GLS is, that while nothing has gone wrong at least, they are really hard on tires, and I hear brakes too, like we have only 26,000 miles on it and already on a second set of tires, the first set were done after 10,000-15,000 miles......how long do the 'consumables' like tires and brakes etc last on a Landcruiser.....and typical replacement costs?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

While im not short of money I dont want to be throwing money constantly at a vehicle......not to mention not having my vehicle while its constantly in a shop or anything.....

Let me know what you guys think and things to consider.....
Anyone have any idea what dealers are knocking off new MSRP?

I have a '16, bought new, with a bit over 56k miles. I've had to replace the front brakes (incl. rotors), at 30k, and the rear at 55k. I put BFG KO2s on at 24k, and they look to have a lot more left even now. I love this car, and plan to keep it for a long time. (or until I die, whichever comes first) No major or recurring problems. Big difference from when I had an '03 Discovery.

I have a '16, bought new, with a bit over 56k miles. I've had to replace the front brakes (incl. rotors), at 30k, and the rear at 55k. I put BFG KO2s on at 24k, and they look to have a lot more left even now. I love this car, and plan to keep it for a long time. (or until I die, whichever comes first) No major or recurring problems. Big difference from when I had an '03 Discovery.

How much out of curiosity was it total to replace brakes? Did you do it yourself?
Sounds about normal which is good.....but do you pay a lot for parts because its a LC and they just assume youve money? Say compared to if it was a Camry

How much out of curiosity was it total to replace brakes? Did you do it yourself?
Sounds about normal which is good.....but do you pay a lot for parts because its a LC and they just assume youve money? Say compared to if it was a Camry
Dude must drive like a maniac. I had a 2016 and I got to 67k without having to replace any brake pads, much less rotors.

Do a search, lots of information here. Bottom line, a 200 series Land Cruiser is probably the most reliable, longest lasting vehicle you can buy.

Repairs and maintenance cost no more than any other Toyota, much cheaper than a German car. There are a few known maintenance items at @100k, but the expectation is these will last at least 350,000 miles and 25+ years if maintained.

I have owned a GLS and it was a fine automobile. Handled well. Great on snow and ice ....center diff lock came in very handy more than just a few times.....and comfortable to drive. You know all this if you had one on lease. I put 134,000 miles on it. Mtce was not too bad and it was trouble free for the most part.

However, at 134,000 miles the air suspension gave out, as in kaput. A little over $5000 to repair. While the car was otherwise mechanically in good shape, the book value was pretty low. I sold it and bought a 2017 LC.

If I had it to do again, I would again choose the Land Cruiser. Great solid car, more versatile, better resale value.

Make sure you give LXs a look. But either one.

After living and working in the developing world for many years I would only buy a Land Cruiser. The agency I worked for had a stable of vehicles of most makes and models. Nothing performed and endured like the LC. It is solid, heavy, powerful reliable and capable.

The 16+ is the way to go, and if you can get an 18 even better. The 200 is a mature vehicle in its development cycle with most all the kinks worked out.

An LX is a notch better if you can stomach the grill. The LX gets a better interior, sound system and little touches like thicker glass. You also get an adjustable height/ride suspension which has its critics. If you maintain it with regular fluid changes it'll serve you well. New the LX is more expensive, used it is cheaper than a LC.

If you can business expense the purchase as a company vehicle with the tax savings it might be cheaper to buy new than used.

The dealer did it; I'm not particularly mechanical. It would have taken me too long, even if I knew how; no lift, etc. Parts aren't any worse than other Toyotas, plus labor. The dealer wrote off my rear brakes as "warranty" work, so I'm not complaining. I have a really good service department. I plan on getting Terrain Tamer upgrades the next time I need brake work.

New OEM front rotors cost less than $60 each on the discount parts sites. Compare that to what MB wants for a GLS rotor.

There is no hint of "you spent the money on a LC, you can pay more for parts" within toyota that I've found.

I have had a 1993 Land Cruiser, a 2001 Lexus LX470, and now have a 2018 Land Cruiser with 5500 miles. I sold the 1993 only because a guy offered me so much money for it that I would have been foolish not to. I turned around and bought the LX470 new and had to replace all the accumulators and the hydraulic suspension system just after 50,000 miles were on the vehicle. To Lexus's credit, they paid for the complete repair which would have cost me around $4000.00. They only paid for it after much pushing from me and I had the support of Lexus of Seattle behind me. It was a lot of aggravation. I also had to replace a water pump, under warranty, at 37,000 miles which was leaking and discovered by a Toyota dealer who was changing my oil. The AHS may be improved now, but I would never buy another vehicle with it.

So far my 2018 has been stellar and a joy to own and drive.

Do the 2016+ models have the same starter, radiator, and water pump concerns as earlier years?

I haven't owned a Land Cruiser for several years--although I've owned several--but I'm seriously looking at a 2016+ in the next 6 months or so.

Chiming in as a newbie to Land Cruisers, but someone that made the same type of purchase last week as the OP is questioning. I was looking for a reliable, comfortable, capable vehicle that could do it all. I knew my price range was 50-60ish so I debated all the luxury SUV's out there, both new and used. At the end of the day, I kept coming back to the 16+ LC after weighing out all the options. After driving one, even the new vehicles I test drove just weren't the same. I kept coming back to the same thing in my head, "That's really nice but it's not a Land Cruiser." Then add the stellar reputation for reliability and value retention, winner winner.

Ended up with a Toyota Certified 2016 Land Cruiser with 44k miles and no regrets! Literally brought it home last Saturday and have put over 1000 miles on it since...LOVE IT.

Only bad thing was I traded in a Jeep JL Rubicon that was fully built (awesome off road, 'please get me out of here' on road) and the wife said if I bought the cruiser we didn't have 'fun money' in the budget to lift it yet. I just took the side steps off it tonight to make me feel like it's sitting a little higher LOL

What intervals in miles are people getting on tires and brakes/rotors?

What intervals in miles are people getting on tires and brakes/rotors?
No worries for either. My LC has been very easy on tires and brakes and it lives a hard life, with most of its 41000 miles towing or off road. The OEM brakes and Michelin Defenders are maybe half worn. I’ll probably replace both in another 20K miles just to be safe.

No worries for either. My LC has been very easy on tires and brakes and it lives a hard life, with most of its 41000 miles towing or off road. The OEM brakes and Michelin Defenders are maybe half worn. I’ll probably replace both in another 20K miles just to be safe.

60k miles on the same set of tires and brakes???

I've had my '16 for less than a year so I can't speak personally to reliability other than I expect it to be excellent from my research and it was a significant reason I chose mine. I will say if up to date tech and nav is your thing and you don't expect to exercise it in the wild you might be happier with a different vehicle. My best advice would be to buy for your intended purpose if you do that you will be as happy as I am in whatever you choose. Good luck.

Reliability is not going to be a concern. My 2013 has 230,000 miles. No issues at all. At 220,000 I had the radiator, pulleys, belt and water pump changed. Not because anything broke but for piece of mind with the high mileage. Tuesday it goes in for the starter to be replaced. Again, not because it died but for preventative measure for the mileage. There is another member on that has a 2013 that has over 280,000 miles I believe and he hasn’t had any major issues, also. 2016 and newer I expect the same or even better results.

I’ve changed the brakes and rotors 2 times. Last week I replaced the Michelin defenders that had 94,000 miles on them.

Two weeks ago I had the alignment checked and they also inspected the steering and wheel components. They reported back that they have many thousands of miles to go.

Maintain the proper maintenance, set aside a couple of thousand $ just in case and enjoy it. So much evidence on this forum proving the reliability worldwide.

Do the 2016+ models have the same starter, radiator, and water pump concerns as earlier years?

I haven't owned a Land Cruiser for several years--although I've owned several--but I'm seriously looking at a 2016+ in the next 6 months or so.

There were changes to the part numbers of all three things you mentioned by 2016+. Although for one of them (I forget which one - I think radiator) changed mid-year 2016.

I would say the 2016+ models haven't been around long enough to conclude the changes fixed the problems. For example, the new radiator top looks like it would be less subject to the crack that earlier models developed, but is it? Ask again in 5 years.

Love my '16... can't go wrong with any LC200 IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom