Thinking of adding an 80 to the stable, will I use it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a *beater* 80. I bought a very nice 100 series and always drove the 80. I sold the 100 series.

100s are nice and I’m sure I’ll own another one - they can be had for stupid cheap right now. But I don’t commute so most of my driving is around town/pleasure driving. The 80 fit that bill better.

I've been thru the 40- 200 run - all fairly built up.... to me the 97' 80 is my favorite of them all however, but I think it'd pair best with a 200.... the 100 is a great rig but mildly limited in both build options and HP ( and I had a Sc'ed one).... to me the 200 is best of world for a DD.... with the 80 for around town and those times you want to take the back route from Conway to Bethel...... ( I grew up in Maine and used to wheel my 40's all around the NE. - truly miss it)

E

Thanks for all the feedback! I haven't been following prices much other than noting that 80's are more $ than most 100's now. How much should I plan to spend to get a rust free stock, well loved 80 w around 150k miles with and without lockers?

True. I barely burned a full tank of gas in the 100 before chopping the IFS off. But I still think fairly apples to apples? Both on same size tires
Yup, fair enough :)

$8-15K, depends so much on condition. Many of the 80's I've looked at
have rough interiors, peeling paint, minor body damage, on top of all the usual issues. Unfortunately too many sellers think they have a Gold mine because they saw one listed on Fleabay for crazy money. Then someone desperate to pick up an 80 who has money to spare and doesn't take the time or effort to check it out thoroughly pays that crazy money, keeping the cycle of inflation going. IMHO.

Unless you plan on putting $5000 (to start) into it then keeping it for 20 years I wouldn't worry about condition, buy a cheapo that runs and do the basic pm and drive it. If you love it you can always sell that one and buy another.

Keeping a 25 year old 80 series in good condition is not cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom