Thinking of a diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So diesels are kind of new territory to me but I love driving my 80 and can not do that with s***ty fuel mileage. I have either decided to wheel the 80 only and buy a diesel pickup to tow it or invest in a diesel swap and dd the 80. Can you guys give me some general thoughts on diesels in an 80. The cost of the swap and what mileage to expect? What my options are for engines and so on. Sorry if this a open ended question but it is a lot to digest from searching and want some ideas. The pickup would be nice for hauling stuff but I figure I could always buy a trailer and tow whatever I need in that. Thanks

it is an open ended Q and one that has hundreds of pages already documented on this very website alone, having said that lots of folks have run numbers. everything from diesel swaps, buying a pickup for DD and hauling, or a cheap car to DD and save the rig for wheeling.
believe it or not non of them make sense financially, you do those things for other reasons, like less wear and tear on the off road rig or just cause you want a diesel in your 80. if your motivation is financial your best bet is to keep the 80 as on only rig and just suck up the cost of fuel or get rid of it for a more fuel efficient rig.
dont mean to bust your bubble but thats just kinda the way it is.

it is an open ended Q and one that has hundreds of pages already documented on this very website alone, having said that lots of folks have run numbers. everything from diesel swaps, buying a pickup for DD and hauling, or a cheap car to DD and save the rig for wheeling.
believe it or not non of them make sense financially, you do those things for other reasons, like less wear and tear on the off road rig or just cause you want a diesel in your 80. if your motivation is financial your best bet is to keep the 80 as on only rig and just suck up the cost of fuel or get rid of it for a more fuel efficient rig.
dont mean to bust your bubble but thats just kinda the way it is.

Very true.
For the price of the cheapest swap you can buy a LOT of fuel.
Get a beater with good mileage and drive the 80 only for fun.
cheers,
jan

You will spend far more on an engine swap(diesel or V8) than you would on gas. If you enjoy driving it, drive it. $10-20 grand buys a lot of gas.

I love my 4BTA swap 80, but it wasn't done to save money that's for sure.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom