Thinking about Silicone Coolant Hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at replacing the coolant hoses on my 100 Series when I swapped the thermostat. I came across this as a kit on Amazon, which includes all hoses and clamps for $129.

Has anyone tried silicone hoses before?

This article says they last longer but do not seal as tightly.

I am thinking the safe route is OE always, but then again, new tech does come along (like LED lights) and can surpass the original.

Old tech works fine. Gates, Goodyear, or OE are always my choice for belts and hoses. I'd worry about knock-off no-name junk with that stuff, like anything else.

Last edited:
full strength long life coolant.jpg

Two words: DO. NOT.

I was looking at replacing the coolant hoses on my 100 Series when I swapped the thermostat. I came across this as a kit on Amazon, which includes all hoses and clamps for $129.

Has anyone tried silicone hoses before?

This article says they last longer but do not seal as tightly.

I am thinking the safe route is OE always, but then again, new tech does come along (like LED lights) and can surpass the original.

The rubber hoses lasted how long? I'd just stick with the rubber ones. Unless you want to "take one for the team" and let us know how well they fit, seal, etc.

Got any data to back that up?

I used to sell bulk engine coolants...it's all the same stuff. Just different colors.

There is the "old school" green, it is now sold and labeled as "classic green" engine coolant for classic cars and trucks.

There is the OAT (organic acid technology), it is alumium safe, old school green is not.

Then there is HOAT (hybrid organic technology), it is a mix of the old school green and the new OAT leaning more towards the OAT side of the mixture, it is meant as a "one size fits all" coolant, the Toyota coolant is a HOAT coolant.
It protects alumium pretty well, brass and cooper so-so.

All engine coolants protect engine seals and gaskets, lubricate the water pump and have anti corrosion properties.
How long the anti corrosion lasts depends on the coolant and what it's protecting, if you use the classic green in a all aluminum cooling system it will corrode sooner rather than later.
If you use a all aluminum coolant in a cast iron block and copper radiator cooling system it will corrode sooner rather than later.

I think I would like the idea of the silicone hoses if the car came with them new. I feel like they are a lot of other things to worry about before replacing all hoses. Can’t say it isn’t labor intensive either.

Since when did coolant lubricate water pumps? I've been turning wrench for 28 years and haven't yet ran across a water pump
that is coolant lubricated.

Have you tried mixing OAT and HOAT Coolant and then heat it up?;)
You forgot to mention about NOAT.

Last edited:
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1332.JPG

Advertising has been around for a long time, and proves nothing other than they want you to buy their branded fluids and parts.

I get it @RAGINGMATT, you are a vendor and sell OEM parts, that is how you feed your family and I respect that. But just blanket statement that you can only use Toyota red engine coolant is false.

"I recommend Toyota red engine coolant and I can get you a deal, but you are not required to use it" would be a better statement in my opinion.

I still want that body style Celica in that bottle.

I still want that body style Celica in that bottle.

I have a cousin who's wife bought that car brand new, her very first brand new car, she still has it. It is mint.
They are both car people so it never gets driven, she has a S Class that she drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom