Thinking about painting my 77 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am a newbie and just purchased a 1977 FJ 40 Its real ugly and am thinking about getting it painted. My question; If I choose a color outside of the standard original colors the car originally came in, does it affect the value? I am thinking of Gun Metal Grey- Matte, Raptor floors, steps and under-body. I am also thinking of painting the top. Should I keep it white or thinking about Grey or Matte Black.

Thoughts?

My preferences are for stock, it's affect on resale value would probably depend a lot on how original the rest of the car is. If it's the only thing that's not original it might matter. If the truck is heavily modded probably doesn't matter as much. I think an FJ40 doesn't look like itself without a white roof and bezel though.

depends entirely upon your personal preference... in my opinion anyways :D

alot of guys will never stray from oem paint codes, some will go nuts. its the same with all mods. theres puritans and theres modders. for me, its all about what you want your 40 to look like.

but yes, straying from stock will affect the value. by how much depends on the what else isnt stock

There is more value to keeping it the stock colors, pewter grey on the glove door, Cignus white on the top and bezel, the stock color code is on your vin tag. Some where on mud is the color codes and what color is what code.

I would not recommend a Rhino type bed lining. These coatings do not prevent rust under the coating. When the metal rust you cant remove the bed lining to get to the metal to fix it. As a result bed lined vehicles bring a lesser value.

Pics? Sometimes the patina that evolves is quite nice....

Why is it really ugly now? What color are you working with?

Sky Blue, See pics below
20140906_102046 (1).jpg
20140906_102046 (1).jpg
20140906_184712.jpg

20140906_102057.jpg

Lol ya that color is not a favorite of mine. If you want to paint don't worry about resale. Enjoy it and go with your gut.

Proud owner of Beast. 77 BJ40

My wife wishes mine was that color because she's not a fan of the mustard. Because painting something a totally different color involves every nook and cranny I think further resale benefits from keeping the stock color that shows on the tag. I personally like the blue ones I have seen and think it's a perfect cruiser color. If the top and bezel are white that is. Nice find.

"bezel" -skillet

You have a lot of rust repair ahead of you before you will be worrying about paint color. Underneath all those patches is probably rust bordering on cancerous. However, you should try buffing and polishing some of that oxidation off (read the threads on the forum, try molasses for instance) and see how well you can bring the non-rusty paint back.

If it were me I would keep that Cruiser the same color unless you are planning on doing a full frame-off restoration on it.

Most of that rust looks like it's not so deep... Needs to be cured for sure. Might look cool if you buff it out til you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom