Thinking about joining... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
Some of you that frequent yotatech might have seen me around, but basicly I've been driving a little car around for the last 6 months and a buddy of mine has given me an offer I cannot refuse. My last vehicle was a S/Cd 4Runner with 5" of lift and I loved it! Got into the wheeling thing and miss it, but quite frankly... I can't fit in it! I'm 6ft 8in and need something bigger. That and there is an old bmw I want to revive back to life and will need to tow it around. I was looking at Denalis and have always had a thing for the current body style but, like all domestics... its no import ;) . So I started looking at 100s and found my next vehicle. I have an uncle that has an LX470 and he won't get rid of it he likes it so much and that just made it that more inticing. I went to carmax today and looked at both the LC and LX. Right now, I'm leaning towards the LX. I like the projectors, interior, gauges, and the idea of adjustable suspension. That said, my main concern about the vehicle is the adjustable suspension. How is the reliability of the adjustable suspension on the LX? The only thing I could find over on the ClubLexus forums is that it doesn't like it when a dumbass mechanic puts washer fluid in the tank accidently (duh). Has anyone heard about the reliability of the system? I know it can range from $3k-$6k to replace it so thats the biggy. I will be doing some towing with the vehicle so it is a pretty big bonus.
One thing I'm promising myself right now is that this will be primarily a on-road beast. I went crazy with the 4Runner and towards the end, it started to break down more and more (with little stuff) but for right now I need a reliable DD and not a off road beast. Later down the road I'll do it right and get an older CHEAPER off-road rig and tow it with this vehicle. So the availablilty of off-road mods and the rear locking diff isn't too high on the list. That said, it won't be your average mom's LX either (damn that modding bug...)

So... what do you guys think?

pics of the runner for clicks:
IMG_0418.jpg

4rburn.jpg

Turboale,

Welcome to the forum! I sorta went thru the same thing with the exception that I'm not 6'8" LOL!! We outgrew the 4Runner and it was getting a bit cramped, especially when additional family wanted to join us during road trips, camping etc... I wasn't really into the 100s, but after poking around and finding this site, I came across some nicely modded ones and things changed.
The 99 4Runner was great and we put tons of money in mods (audio, video, Nav, lift (OME, RaceRunners), 285 tires, ARB bumper, rims... ) but at the end we needed the additional space. :(
I ended up going with the LX because I wanted the few extras that come with it (nicer gauges, better leather, night vision (gadget freak, what can I say?) etc...
I have few mods on the LX and will be adding an ARB bumper and Slee sliders down the road. The AHC (Auto Height Control) is nice and has been around since the introductions of the 100 LX (1998). Yes, It can be expensive to repair. Do a search for some related reading on the AHC. A few us have modded the AHC to get around 2" lift.:D This will allow 35" to clear with some minor trimming.

if the AHC goes tits up and you don't want to fix it, you can replace it with OME or OEM LC stuff......:)

Welcome,

Both are Toys at heart, you can't go wrong! :D
You've already made a great decision by narrowing to LC or LX.
You just have to decide the 10% left.
Are the gadgets for the LX worth it or can u live with the "ute" of the LC?
You say potatoe i say potahtoe, to each his own.
You'll love either one!!
Good luck:cheers:

LOL,

I can attest to the comfort of the LC for very short drivers;)

As far as the LX, there is nothing wrong with the AHC stuff. Like they said earlier, if it takes a dump on you, scrap it and go with OME stuff.

Thanks for all the replies!
I will read up on the ahc some more that's also cool to hear I can get some extra height out of it too. Is it still adjustable after the extra lift? That's quite comforting knowing that it comes out so easily too. Now comes the hard part, finding one that's up to my standards... are there any common problems or things to look for while searching around? I can'twait to get back into the yota truck community again! I think I missed that just as much as the truck itself... haha

turboale said:
another quick question...
these bad boys take regular gas right?

Check out the FAQ for the "Answer :confused: " to this ?.

My 99 says premium, the local toy service manager told me to switch to mid-grade on the fuel. I did about 18 months ago. No problems yet.

Sorry I have a 98 minor brain fart

Thanks,
Just checked out the FAQ and it had a lot of good info in there! :beer: I'm off to go replace hopefully my last 40 profile tire... :doh:

Good afternoon, New to the board. It makes for good reading. I own a 2000uzj100 and a 2002G500. both great vehicles. I traded my 80 for the 100 wish I had it back... looking for another one. Lot's of great wheeling in Colorado! I really enjoy the site!;)

Well,
Just found this today... 99 with only 66k, I hopefully will have enough time to go check it out tomorrow after work. Looks like the exact truck I want!! Hopefully all goes well...
1853163062.190406271.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Sweet burnout. You won't be able to do that in a 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom