thinkin' about an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking to add an 80 series to the family, and have a few questions.
1. what year did the "toyota" emblem disappear?
2. what year(s) are better, newer or older?
3. when did cloth seats become an option, rather than standard?
4. in anyones experience, will a 60-series gutter mounted rack fit an 80?

also..any other thing i should concern myself with?
thanks

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

1. 95+
2. Can of worms
3. Cloth was std., leather was an option (most have leather)
4. The gutters on an 80 have a slight arc front to back, the gutters on a 60 are straight. If the rack feet can adjust slightly, it should fit.

Last edited:
Think no longer and buy ! It is still the best looking truck out there.
You might want to look at the LX450 also. Most likely the seats crack anyway and you can put any covers on them you want.

good luck

hammer1 said:
1. what year did the "toyota" emblem disappear?
as already stated, 94 was the last year of the "toyota" emblem.
hammer1 said:
2. what year(s) are better, newer or older?
depends. definitely a can o' worms. I had a 94 and now own two 97s. That might imply my preference. Rule of thumb would be the newest one with the least miles for the best price.
hammer1 said:
3. when did cloth seats become an option, rather than standard?
cloth was always standard. however virtually all came with leather after 1994. You'll run across a newer cloth seated cruiser, but they're quite rare.
hammer1 said:
4. in anyones experience, will a 60-series gutter mounted rack fit an 80?
if the feet are somewhat adjustable, it should. I know someone who uses a Tradesman rack on both his 60 and his 80. I think the 60 roof is a little wider than the 80.

A LX 450 = LC. Don't let badging determine which one to get.

LR_RESQ said:
Yep, stop thinking and start shopping. My 80 is the best truck I have ever had. It is already part of the family. (And this is coming from someone who has registered 24 cars in the last 8 years.)

Ditto, don't think just do it.

Buy one...91/92 are slow, but are great for trails...93/94 are sorta the lonely duck, better engine, but nothing else is really special...95 plus are the creame of the crop, lockers are common, better engine, full floater rear axle

Toyota on the front was replaced with the "T" in 95

Cloth standard, leather the more common option

No, unless the feet can be moved in closer and are placed towards the center of the gutters, the ends are curved.

And when you get one, use this board to save yourself $$$$. I often wonder what I would be doing if Al Gore had not invented the internet. ;p

alkaline747trio said:
Buy one...91/92 are slow, but are great for trails....

Why better than other 80 series? just wondering... :beer:

I feel like I have more control over wheel spin, and a smoother/sooner torque curve. Didn't mean it as better, but if it is a beater trail rig then why spend the extra money for the 1fze that CAN be harder to get parts for/to work on. I like the 93+ for DD, but for the trails, I feel more at home in my 91/92.

Just wondering since I got a 91 fj80 that I have yet to take on the trails...I am putting a manual in it so it wont be on the road for a long time...

I've owned dozens of Toyota 4x4's and as a new FZJ80 owner, I must say do it. You will not be dissapointed at all. Yesterday was my first experience on the trail with it. Who would have thought you could four-wheel in a CADILLAC!!! Simply amazing capable vehicle.

DO it or BAN! :D

rtl1.jpg

lowtide, take it on the trails a couple of times before you do the swap, just to give yourself a feel for the smoothness and seamless controll with the auto tranny. Yes, after owning and driving mine for a while, I 80% of the time dream about an h151 in mine, but I still love the comfort of going over some rugged stuff that some mildly modded h33ps even have trouble with and not messing with a gear lever but once.

I would but she already has a blown tranny...so in goes the 5 speed and 60's case w/ marlin gears and aisin hubs..It's going to be a long build and I will post a thread of it when I get started...until then I will be wheeling and driving the 60 like a mad man.

Ive been on the trail with an 80 that has a 5 speed and it did awesome...the 5 speed has a lower first gear than the auto...But yes I will agree in some spots the auto's are better.

But, it will be super fun driving it....all the things the 60's lack..a 5thgear/fuel injection and coils...I would imagine it will be the best of both worlds and the perfect cruiser for me...never really did normal things anyway...why change now???

Low ride I was there when you were going up lower to with that guy. He did awsome also because of all the other s*** he did to that truck. That Venezuelan thing was insane.

stuck in GA said:
Low ride I was there when you were going up lower to with that guy. He did awsome also because of all the other s*** he did to that truck. That Venezuelan thing was insane.

What do you mean? like all the stuff your suppose to when ya put on big tires?? like a lift/gears/lockers...

Yeah. Im saying I think he would have done just fine with an auto on that trail with what he had. Which was lift, 37's mtrs, air lockers, gears, exo'd cage so he doesn't have to worry as much. That is what I like about the 80 is that you don't have to worry as much about shifting and stalling and you can focus more on whats ahead on the trail. But hey what your doing sounds awsome man. Can't wait to see it.

alkaline747trio said:
Buy one...91/92 are slow, but are great for trails...93/94 are sorta the lonely duck, better engine, but nothing else is really special...95 plus are the creame of the crop, lockers are common, better engine, full floater rear axle

Toyota on the front was replaced with the "T" in 95

Cloth standard, leather the more common option.

I thought other than airbags that 93/94's were the same as 95-97? Other than the obvious, being newer and more likely to have fewer miles. :confused:

80me said:
I thought other than airbags that 93/94's were the same as 95-97? Other than the obvious, being newer and more likely to have fewer miles. :confused:
Check out Slee's newbie guide, there are a few other differences, transmission, OBD II, side impact beams in the doors, different dash, etc...

Yeah those side impact beams practically saved my life from a boulder on an offroadin trail kicking my ass. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom