Things you ask yourself when you are a new 60 series owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I swear I've been laughing out loud while reading through all the responses...It's a little affirmation that I'm not totally crazy - or if I am crazy at least I'm not alone.
I've loved mine and hated it, gone through cycles where I'd post it for sale and then remove the ad because I realized I really didn't want something new and trouble free without any character.
My stress levels have gone down considerably now that I'm not dependent on it for a daily driver anymore. But on weekends (especially snowy ones), I can't think of anything else I'd want to drive.

We bought our '84 FJ60 new from Toyota West in Las Vegas. After a couple of excursions into the desert around town I asked myself "Where CAN'T this vehicle take me?" I still own it and it has taken me and the family pretty much anywhere we've wanted to go, even in stock form (OK, I lied - it has BFG 33X9.50s on it).

Probably everything mentioned above except for the California smog and the Rubicon trails

How did a Google search for procedure on changing trans fluid for my 2010 4Runner lead to purchase of 85 and 87 60’s and a 03 Hundo? :eek: Now have an eye out for a 40, this is a sickness!!

Why did I buy this as a weekend toy and why am I now driving it daily?

Also, why did I cut my only rust free panel to add a snorkel?

Why is that Prius passing me?

Why is this fast tractor so damn charming?

AD65AA3C-8835-470D-A777-AB10200A91F0.jpeg

Why do all the cool people drive FJ60s?

I had my own thoughts but I'll relay the ones my teenage kids had:

Initially
  • What do you mean there's no key fob?!
  • Where's the window button? Like, OMG I have to roll the window down?? This thing is sooooo lame
  • Does mom know that the back seats don't have shoulder belts?
  • Why does it smell like gas in here?
  • What's a choke?
  • The stereo is lame
  • Why would anyone buy something with manual transmission on purpose?
  • This thing squeaks a lot
  • Where are the cup holders?
  • What's an ash tray?
  • Why does everyone pass us on hills?
  • You can't be serious that we're going to take this thing all the way to San Diego for a soccer tournament - that's like 6 hours away but will take us 8
  • I'm so embarrassed
  • How come you can pull the key out while it's still running?
  • Why do people wave at you?
  • How come we stop for gas all the time?
  • There's no way this will pass smog (in Arizona)
About 6 months later
  • The girls on the soccer team want you to take them through the mud by the practice field again
  • I think you should name it "Austin" the truck
  • It needs a more manly horn, it sounds like a mosquito to me
  • Who cares if there aren't any shoulder belts in the back
  • Can we take Austin camping this weekend?
  • That knuckle rebuild was gross
  • I want to weld some more
  • Oh, so 4 wheel drive is what you use to pull old shrubs out of the front yard
  • You get a lot of parts in the mail - does mom know?
  • This thing will NEVER pass smog (in Arizona)
A year later
  • Why is there a diesel engine on a pallet in the garage (1HZ :flipoff2:)? Does mom know about that?
  • Thanks for teaching us to drive a stick shift -- none of the kids at school know how
  • I want an old truck when I turn 16 (yes, my kids know how to drive, and learned how to drive a stick shift well before their 16th b-day...and they can both shoot pretty well...call me old school)

Me
  • I've owned a 1973 Datsun 240Z, 1987 Toyota Supra, 1993 Extra Cab Toyo pickup (22RE engine -- holy crap that thing was awesome) 1994 Honda Civic, VW Jetta, 1987 BMW cabrio, 1996 80 series LC (the kids kept falling out, so we leased a Honda Odyssey minivan [oh, the shame]), 2001 FourRunner, 2006 Sequoia, 2008 Sequoia,1985 FJ60, 2008 Highlander.
  • My DD's today are the 1987 BMW 325ic and the '85 FJ60 - got rid of the rest, as they had little to no character. The 240Z was my first car and it was awesome, but the BMW is a cabrio and when the weather in in the PNW is good, it's a hoot to drive
  • The anchor tho, is my 85 FJ60. Built like an anvil and about as fast. Has a personality and idiosyncrasies that I just adore. Suits me just fine, thank you very much
  • That oil spot in the parking lot can't be mine, I just did a saginaw PS swap :D
  • This thing never passed smog (in Arizona) -- good thing I decided to register it in Montana:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Why did I buy this as a weekend toy and why am I now driving it daily?

Also, why did I cut my only rust free panel to add a snorkel?

Why is that Prius passing me?

Why is this fast tractor so damn charming?

View attachment 1572014
I have garage envy in the biggest way. Both the rigs and the garage layout (I'm not worthy...) Seriously -- great image

• Where's the window button? Like, OMG I have to roll the window down?? This thing is sooooo lame
  • Does mom know that the back seats don't have shoulder belts?
  • The stereo is lame
  • Why would anyone buy something with manual transmission on purpose?
Beauty of moving the "guts" over from an FJ62 to an FJ60 and installing an H55f (time consuming but almost plug-and-play):
  • Power windows, not bad with the relay upgrade!
  • Shoulder belts in back, along with headrests!
  • Double DIN space in dash and OEM brackets allow for a new Pioneer head unit, kind of old school because it has a cassette player (for my collection of rock and roll music) in addition to the CD, plus now I have rear speakers! And with the rear heater under the console there's plenty of room under the passenger seat for the new Pioneer amp.
  • Did I mention the H55f?
That's the beauty of these vehicles, which brings me to a more recent question I asked myself when planning for my '86 FJ60 project vehicle: "What easy upgrades and modifications can be made to enhance the features I already have, using largely Toyota parts?" The question is even more relevant with my older FJ40s.

Great point on the power windows. Hadn't really thought that far ahead.

I do have the H55 tho, and it is the bomb. Still get passed on hills, but on flat ground with bigger tires, it actually cruises pretty well.

“Why would Toyota decide to use 11mm bolts for seatbelt anchors?!?”

(I said, after driving around to different hardware stores to source new bolts)

Should I take this hill in second or third? (Answer is, always and emphatically, second - but still I dream of steaming up in third.)

If you start the hill at 2700rpm or better in third, sometimes you can carry it in third.
At least that's been my experience...you just have to hope for no slower traffic...
which usually isn't a problem unless someone is turning. One guy turning and yer screwed.

Is it normal for this engine to start like a groggy tiger waking from an afternoon nap after feasting on a fresh wildabeast? Mine starts quietly and slowly with the revs climbing up to an idle at 1000 rpm.

After a couple of excursions into the desert around town I asked myself "Where CAN'T this vehicle take me?"

Answer: Past an open gas station... I logged 11.67 on my FJ62 the other day, due to cold temps and city driving. Normally, my city MPG is just over 12. Woo-hoo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom