Things you ask yourself when you are a new 60 series owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First vehicle I owned was a 1977 international scout with an international 304 V8 iirc and a torqueflite 727 automatic transmission. Dana 44 axles with 4.11 gearing as I recall. That truck got 15 mpg in almost all driving except if you were foolish enough to drive it at max speed for any distance. So I am kind of amazed that the fj60 gets worse gas mileage than the scout. Guessing that old V8/autontrans just offered better torque at a lower rpm than a 2f and 4 speed

I am sure the gas gas needle moves as fast on all other vehicles...it is just I haven't paid attention?:confused:

I wonder how much money I’ve got in this truck so far?
I chuckled the other night ‘I haven’t added everything up....’ my friend responded with ‘don’t.’

If you start the hill at 2700rpm or better in third, sometimes you can carry it in third.
At least that's been my experience...you just have to hope for no slower traffic...
which usually isn't a problem unless someone is turning. One guy turning and yer screwed.
Huh so your telling me I’m doing good if I can plow up a large hill in 3rd at 45?

I consider it good when I do :) although I'm doing almost 50 at 3000rpm
A tired 2F, 33's and stock 3.73's

Depends on your definition of large.

Rate of rise vs. duration of above average incline...which here in Durango is prob.
5% to 7% grade.

We live at 8000ft and town is at 6500ft and its 15 or 16 miles to town
half and half incline vs. flat spots. First 3 miles or so is all up.

Here I am, almost 4 months after trading a perfectly good 2ndGen 4Runner for a beautiful, sexy 60 Series creature that I have desired for so many years... So what if I had to drive all day to get it and trailer it home? So what I ask? So what If I find a receipt in the glove box for an AC service in 1989 that lists the mileage at 182,000... Really? Wow.

So many of these questions have passed through my head in the past 4 months. Budget? yes I set one. The first question is why? So I can lie to myself about being budget conscious? So I can blow the budget every single month, and feel bad about it? no, I'm over that... I tell my friends, "It's like a car payment, you make a car payment every month, I buy 'Cruiser parts". Same thing, right? Well, yeah, I know, youre driving your car, and mines on jack stands, but so what?

The biggest question is this Cruiser math. I cant figure it out. Maybe some of you have witnessed this same phenomena. I research, I read, I carefully select a parts vendor. I read some more, I lay under, in, or on my 60 and I study. I plan every job precisely. Every single time I go to do something, I find 3 more things that I need to do at the same time, you know, while I'm in there... And that one simple job, researched, budgeted, and time allotted, turns into a budget busting, time sucking, scrambling-for-parts-at the last minute mess? How does this happen? I'm way more organized than this.
How does replacing a thermostat and upper hose instantly turn into ALL new hoses, belts, water pump, and radiator? Eh, while I'm at it... Wait, how much did I just spend on hose clamps? That cant be right.

Other questions? Yep, lots.
Did my drag link really just fall off the pitman arm while driving up the driveway? (budget and schedule modification #13)
Will I ever have this thing assembled long enough to drive it to work and prove to my co-workers that I really DO have a 60, and I'm not making all this s*** up?
Why did my horn just simply stop working all of a sudden? Wait! Now it works again!
I've go on enough...

I chuckled the other night ‘I haven’t added everything up....’ my friend responded with ‘don’t.’

I did... I wish I hadn’t. But, with the right business, all these parts and upgrades fall under the tax deductible items column.....so it’s ok to buy that, and that, and that, and that, and.....

• Maybe if I speed up I can get enough momentum to make it up the next hill?
  • (From wife). Our daughter is wondering why you get all these psvkages all the time?
  • Maybe I can sell the extra parts when I get around to it?
  • Will i pass smog this time (CA)?
  • Damn....does the mpg get any better?
  • What is my next upgrade?
  • Where did I read about that upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom