THings to do on the FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well today I have several things to do on the fj.IThe plans for her are to first make it mechanically relieable then goes the fun upgrades if I have money left over. I have a 2f and recently took the carb off. Taking it by to have it rebuilt at a shop in San Jose. I dont know if they are just going to have to replace gaskets or "professionally" rebuild it. Im new to this and trying to get things done as cheaply as possible. Then I took apart the center arm or steering box and found that the metal plate that surrounds the inner gear has a bent in metal flap that is preventing me from taking it out of the housing. I believe this is the original from 1970. Anyway. To have it done professionally i dont think they are going to get it out any special may just prying like I am. Anyway. While I have the carb out I was wondering if there should be anything I can replace that might need replacing for better fuel efficiancy and reliability. Anyone?

No input on the carb/fuel issue, bit with the center arm I rebuilt a few weeks ago, I just took an old socket that was the right size, put it on the narrow end of the taper and gave it a good tap with a BFH - popped right out.

Nial

Okie,

I know you are trying to be cheap but I would strongly discourage you being cheap with your carb. Send it to Mark (65swb45) or Jim C. (fj40jim). I think they both charge 200 for professional rebuild (the best) and almost everyone says it is the best 200 spent. Not sure what you are going to spend with your shop but would not be surprised if you spent about 100-150 and they did not even get close to the quality you will get with these guys. The carb is such a key piece of this beautiful machine do not cut this corner. Do it right the first time and will not have to do it again for a long time.....

Good Luck

:cheers:

yes about the carb. When i mean cheap i mean reasonable prices. I guess I didnt say that right. I found my cruiser through a guy named Ron Diaz. Hes one of the owners of CUstom Cruiser FJ40 down in Gilroy Calif. Anyway he recomended this shop. Your right I dont know how much they will charge and I trust these guys that you are mentioning more because they have increadible good feedback . Thank you for that info. I haven't taken the carb yet tothe shop. Where are they located? In Northern California?

As far as the fuel system goes. I wat to rebuild everything to make sure it works like a 1970 2f dream. :D So what exactly do I replace as far as the fuel system goes that would be old or warn from 1970? I am willing to do what it takes. As far as I know I need to fuel pump ( electric/stock?) , fuel filter (stock) , What year if its a 2f for the pump. How do i find that out. Sorry LOTZ of questions. Anyone care to help me sort this out? thanx alot.

About the power steering box, max I just bought a rebuild kit for it ( 1970) and it seems to be missing the felt gasket I already pulled out of the box, and the metal ring that is lodged on the narrow end of the housing( this is all banged up from hitting it to get it off) should I get these or do i need them. ON top of that I dont know how I am supposed to bend that metal tab in on the metal peice that goes around the inner gear. Have you guys run into this problem? That flap being bent in is also preventing me from taking the metal piece out. Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Okie,

A 70 should have a F engine. On the passenger side of the engine bay. on the engine there is a piece that sticks out a little just under the plug towards the back of the bay. This will have your engine number on it. You will probably need a wet rag to wipe if off so you can see the number but get the number off and than check SOR. It will tell you the year that the f or 2f is from.....
I think mark is in CO and jim is in OH. Just ship it to them and do not look back. It will be probably the best thing you have done. Leave the fuel system alone for now unless it is not working. I take that back replace the filter. Get the carb rebuilt and I am sure you will be amazed how much differance it makes and how well it runs. :eek: after that is done come back and ask some more questions. I have not idea on power steering as mine is stock non powered. Sorry.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom