Things to check before starting for the first time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is probably like my 5th post on here, so tia for all the :flipoff2:
Anyway, I think I finally have my cruiser able to start after replacing a bunch of corroded/mudfilled electrical bits. It's taken forever,
but I'm slow and lazy.

The thing hasn't run since I pulled it in the garage almost exactly one year ago. It ran fine when it came it, it was just having issues
starting because of all the electrical shat.

What stuff should I do or check before attempting to start it? I am assuming it actually will start when I try it this time.

The oil was pretty fresh when I pulled it in and I will change it as soon as I verify it's going to run so as long as it's full it should be ok?

I didn't put anything in the gas as I didn't think it would be out of commission this long. Draining probably won't be necessary right?
Should I add anything now, or just dilute it with fresh as soon as I've burned a little of this off?

Anything else I might want to do or check? Drop some oil down the plug holes? Starter fluid in the carb?

TIA for any help or suggestions

cruiser pron for the hell of it
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
judging by the condition, lack of some body panels and evidently a heater as well, I'd suggest a well charged battery and some starting fluid. The second it starts, hold it to the floor for 30 minutes or until the engine 'cleans' itself out.

judging by the condition, lack of some body panels and evidently a heater as well, I'd suggest a well charged battery and some starting fluid. The second it starts, hold it to the floor for 30 minutes or until the engine 'cleans' itself out.

That might be a bad idea. I'd get some oil pressure built up in the system before I mashed it to the floor. Or better yet pull the distributor and prime the oil pump. But for a year I'd at least crank it over without any spark for just a little bit. Give the oil a head start.

You should drain out the old gas, and clean the lines...
At least put a new inline fuel filter right before the carb if you can't change out the old gas. Gas can go bad in as little as one month although it usually takes longer...

Unless you are familiar with pulling and re-installing a FJ40 distributor I would not do it.

#1 cause of first start engine failure is failing to get the dizzy seated all the way. The dizzy is what drives the oil pump. Not seated all the way = no oil pressure = seized engine.

To start:
Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and the fuel pump or filter. Blow it out. Reattach to pump and stick the other end into a gallon of gas. This will prevent all the rust in the tank from getting into the carb. :D

If it has points, pop the dizzy cap and clean/adjust them.

Check the exhaust pipe for nests in the end.

Pull the inlet to the carb and fill the float bowl with fresh gas.

Clean all the battery/starter terminals

Install fully charged battery.

Pour a bit of gas in the carb or spray some starting fluid in there, and start cranking.

Oh and since you asked for it..... :flipoff2: :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom