Things I should know before swapping my fuel pump? (FJ60/2F) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's an opening in the block. The arm fits through and is actuated by a lobe on the cam. If you're feeling resistance, roll the engine over a bit to relieve the spring pressure and finish the install.
how do you roll the engine? it hasn't moved since i pulled the old pump out I just don't know what "feel" I am looking for to know I got it in correctly. this project has already proved to be a bit more difficult than it seemed. Having never done it before I am finding all sorts of little issues like that. the bolt hole locations is enough to drive you mad!

Last edited:
how do you roll the engine? it hasn't moved since i pulled the old pump out I just don't know what "feel" I am looking for to know I got it in correctly. this project has already proved to be a bit more difficult than it seemed. Having never done it before I am finding all sorts of little issues like that. the bolt hole locations is enough to drive you mad!

“Roll” the engine refers to rotating it a tad. You could do that by bumping the starter to make it rotate a tiny bit (but don’t start it).

The fuel pump can be installed in any engine alignment. It just might offer a little more tension on the pump spring as you press against it if the cam lobe is aimed outwards.

Just bolt on the pump. It’s not hard.

“Roll” the engine refers to rotating it a tad. You could do that by bumping the starter to make it rotate a tiny bit (but don’t start it).

The fuel pump can be installed in any engine alignment. It just might offer a little more tension on the pump spring as you press against it if the cam lobe is aimed outwards.

Just bolt on the pump. It’s not hard.
thanks for the info. I know its not hard it is just taking me time to figure out the details, especially the rocker arm feel.

My comment of “not hard” is just to give a little encouragement. I know what it’s like to start on something unfamiliar and new - many unknowns. After I replaced my fuel pump I remember thinking - that wasn’t so hard. So I’m sharing my impression with you.

My comment of “not hard” is just to give a little encouragement. I know what it’s like to start on something unfamiliar and new - many unknowns. After I replaced my fuel pump I remember thinking - that wasn’t so hard. So I’m sharing my impression with you.
I totally got that so no worries at all-that is how i took it and i appreciate your help/feedback.

for some reason I am approaching this project a bit hesitantly. I just need to do it. I had to wait for the oil pan/gasket sealant to come in and then i put it off. one thing is that it is so hard to get to the bolts that I dont want the loctite on the bolts to harden while I am tightening them. took me a long time to unbolt those because of the angle. I also need to get comfortable with where to install that rocker arm. I sealed the new gasket and spacer to the pump so tomorrow i will seal the other side to the block and hope I can get that arm in the first time. if i ever have to do this again it will be a little more familiar. i was just reading this: Disconnect the outlet line to the carburetor. Use a wrench on the fuel pump fitting and another on the line nut." that is something i didn't do. I just unhooked all three hoses from the pump. is that an issue at all? I can't see how it would be.

Last edited:
The lines aren't an issue. Spare the loctite - that's overkill for this joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom