Thiess Toyota Australia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some great pics and History @JohhnyC., You've obviously got some history with Thiess Bros. A couple of inaccuracies though...I was born On Tooma Dam site in 1959. My father worked for Stan and Les Thiess over the course of 30 years starting on the Snowy Mountains Scheme and through many other jobs. The first Landcruiser that was brought into Australia was a loner and it was assigned to my father on Tooma Dam site by Les and Stan Thiess in 1958. My father was a Dirt Foreman and Stan and Les wanted first hand feedback on the Toyota and comparisons to the Dodge Power Wagon's and the Landrover series 1's that were being used as work vehicles to decide whether the Toyota would be a better option. Dad said could drive the Toyota to most places in and around the dam site where as he would have to park the Dodge and Landrover and get and walk as they couldn't handle the terrain. It was about 3 weeks after he started driving the Toyota that he made the mistake of bragging about how good it was at the Wet Mess and the Project Manager decided to assign the Toyota to himself.

That’s a fantastic story!! Please tell me you have a picture of the land cruiser :)

Or any other vintage thiess toyota pictures
So I have buried in my archives somewhere a picture of no.1 when it was restored and on display in the mid 80's in the Power House Museum in Sydney.
I also saw one of it's sisters for sale at Tarren Point in Sydney (which is where Thiess' NSW Head Office was) for sale a couple of years ago. It was also a 1958 model and was unrestored but in solid condition with little or no rust. Asking price was $25k AUD. I didn't have the cash at the time......

Came across this in another thread: a 1984 Toyota Australia brochure, tried following the link to the pdf but it didn't work. Anyone have high quality for me? I own a HJ47RV-KCQ which is featured in the brochure ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom