They are about gone... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
In the US anyway.

US destination production has ceased and what is on dealer lots is all that is left. We are down to our last 15 units as of this morning.

Thank you US EPA and CAFE regulations.....................

In the US anyway.

US destination production has ceased and what is on dealer lots is all that is left. We are down to our last 15 units as of this morning.

Thank you US EPA and CAFE regulations.....................
Any idea what the sales numbers have been in the last couple of years?

Any idea what the sales numbers have been in the last couple of years?

Year USA Canada
2006 56,225 4919
2007 55,170 4901
2008 28,688 263
2009 11,941 899
2010 14,959 797
2011 13,541 639
2012 13,656 726
2013 13,131 656

They are sold out, more production would have sold more. Not a supply/demand thing, phase out by Mr. T...
The sales numbers (post #7) doesn't back up your premise.

Not sure about that, if its not on the lot, pretty hard to sell more units.

I've not been in any board meetings, regional sales meetings or work for Toyota, but I slept in a Holiday Inn last night. So...Toyota clearly made the decision (based on sales or ???) to put less focus in the US market as they expanded into Aus/Asia, as well as promoting the new and improved 4Rnr and other models.

Yes, speculation on my part, with a hint of back door info from a club member who is very high up the Southeast Region sales (yes, heresay evidence) that the move was a forethought, not one of hindsight.

Doesn't really matter, its going away regardless, too bad IMHO...

One of the main reasons is CAFE. The FJC pulls it down because of some obscure calculation based on vehicle footprint versus fuel usage or some such smoke and mirror stuff. I don't fully understand it.

Clearing more space for J**p JK at least in USA .. ?

Lot's of guys will go that route if FJC it's no longer an option I guess ..

Don't get by here much, but figured I'd stop in to see what the buzz was since i just heard the news {NY Times Cars that are going away...at least the FJC got a nice cover shot on the way out among all the potential choices: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/05/a...atedCoverage&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

SNIP

Yes, speculation on my part, with a hint of back door info from a club member who is very high up the Southeast Region sales (yes, heresay evidence) that the move was a forethought, not one of hindsight...

Now that is really what I wanted to stop by to see -- if anyone had heard about what might REPLACE the FJC. Sorry to be such a vulture, but this seemed as good a place as any to bring it up -- at least until Woody gets enough info to name another sub-forum...

I suspect CDan is pretty much right as to the underlying reasons. I think that's basically what did in the FJ-40 and took the wagon models so upscale that it became a luxury vehicle -- at least for many of the first owners (not CDan and folks who hang here, but we know that those of us here now on MUD who bought off the showroom floor are a far too small minority among first owners simply because of that initial cost factor.) If you can only sell so many such vehicles before it starts affecting the overall mfg's CAFE calculations/formula, then you try to get as much profit out of each unit as you can. Can't blame Mr. T for doing that.

But it does kind of tell us the replacement won't be a North American market 70 series:crybaby: I don't think they'd do a turbo-diesel or anything that might "solve" the low MPG rating issue for CAFE with something choice from that line. Just wouldn't be upscale enough to fly in this market now and selling the actual utility version at a more stripped down cost WOULD probably lead to the kind of demand that would mess the formula up again. In a sense, paradoxically success doomed the FJC, but then again would it have been profitable enough for Toyota to keep around in numbers low enough CAFE won't matter? Can Toyota slot in a solid off-road performer above where the FJC has given its all, but below the now-atmospheric full-on luxo LandCruiser, make a profit and keep the crowd that's been relying on them for such great vehicles (I'm generally not a pick-up guy, at least until we can afford a second vehicle and that's probably never) all along? I guess we'll find out eventually.

I'll be keeping mine.

Can Toyota slot in a solid off-road performer below the now-atmospheric full-on luxo LandCruiser, make a profit and keep the crowd that's been relying on them for such great vehicles

I think it was Sharram (sp?) who suggestion a Scion-badged 2-door, removable top aimed at the Jeep Wrangler crowd...sounds like a good idea to me.

Hmmm, Scion...wonder if that brand is considered independently from Toyota in calculating CAFE? I suspect not, but if it did, they could sell quite a few trucks before pulling down Scion's CAFE average considering the fuel efficient line-up of models they sell. In that case, prep me a HJ78 and slap a Scion badge on it:D

My dealer had a Trail Edition a few weeks back, but it sold.
Only ones there now are used ones, and they have plenty of them.
I've been looking for a used one, there are a lot that have been on the market a while, they don't seem to be moving quickly.

We have 8 new ones left.

What's the 'mud discount?

You'd need to talk to Clay.....:smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom