These side mirrors suck, what mirrors do you like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As soon as these mirrors see any wind the mirror adjustment moves enough that they are useless. The metal structure is all good but it is not possible to tighten on the "adjusting ball" enough to keep them in one place. Any tighter and it would definitely strip the threads. I bought these long enough ago that a refund is not an option.
What do y'all use for mirrors that you like? I'm not interested in door mounted mirrors since my doors haven't seen the light of day since 2008. I went for years with out any side mirrors because with out the top, visibility is really good. If i cant find a good replacement i will go back to no mirrors.

40 Crappy mirrors.jpg

What if, in the meantime, you took out the tightener screws and popped that adjusting ball out of the plastic and maybe wrapped a strip of duct tape or similar around the adjusting ball?
Might provide a rougher surface for the plastic to grab, might get you some time while you shop real mirrors

I had similar issues with aftermarket mirrors. Resolved after going to oem.

What if, in the meantime, you took out the tightener screws and popped that adjusting ball out of the plastic and maybe wrapped a strip of duct tape or similar around the adjusting ball?
Might provide a rougher surface for the plastic to grab, might get you some time while you shop real mirrors
I thought of doing exactly that, or maybe with emery clothe or something.

I had similar issues with aftermarket mirrors. Resolved after going to oem.
Do you have OEM mirrors that mount like mine in the pic? If so, do you have a pic?

By the way... i love your sig line with the Johnny Cash reference! Very funny!

Do you have OEM mirrors that mount like mine in the pic? If so, do you have a pic?
Yes I can send later today. Just the mirrors themselves are the same. The metal mounting arm is different on my truck.

As soon as these mirrors see any wind the mirror adjustment moves enough that they are useless. The metal structure is all good but it is not possible to tighten on the "adjusting ball" enough to keep them in one place. Any tighter and it would definitely strip the threads. I bought these long enough ago that a refund is not an option.
What do y'all use for mirrors that you like? I'm not interested in door mounted mirrors since my doors haven't seen the light of day since 2008. I went for years with out any side mirrors because with out the top, visibility is really good. If i cant find a good replacement i will go back to no mirrors.

View attachment 2794720
How about this style, has a plate with 3 screws to hold adjustments.
A7286A8F-16C2-45DB-88D0-B7687CD79119.jpeg

How about this style, has a plate with 3 screws to hold adjustments.View attachment 2795037

FYI in order to mount these on the later style arms (the ones bolted to the door) you will need to cut a slice out of the plate to get it to fit. Still a big improvement over the originals. I got the convex ones I think.

a thin star washer will/may work till you replace

the repro mirrors are absolute garbage
one of the worst non OEM replacement parts on the market

not only are the mirrors useless and flop in the wind
but the plastic base for the arms they come on will break/shatter/dissolve upon adjusting
or the first twig you brush against

I’m going to be honest… even the oem ones are not the end all of mirrors. Mine are straight from Toyota, and they still move around..

My experience also.

When my doors are off, I use ones exactly like @fjc-man above. They don't lose adjustment in the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom