These engine lights just popped up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

HI Folks,
just thought i'd post this here before i start to panick. from my 1991 HDJ80. just driving to work and these lights just popped up all at once.

truck is and has been running good. now, not sure if this even makes sense but my rig has 33's and so the odometer is reading/running slower so I'm close to being due for a Tbelt change (but just not sure if that sensor is based on the odometer only or something before that? still reading 193K kms.. )

just not sure if those other lights were supposed to go on as well! (A/T oil temp, engine, and red light over voltmeter).

Any info would be hugely appreciated! thanks!

romey

Yes ,you have some kind of problem with the charging system. Timing belt is activated by the odo but electrical problems can make it come on.

Timing belt light comes on 100k kms after it was last reset, as per the odometer reading.

X3 on an alternator or voltage regulator issue, or possibly a bad ground.

As above, you likely have low voltage. I just had the same thing on my '94 when the alternator crapped out. If you watch the voltage on your battery charge on the factory gauge, I bet it doesn't move. Usually it will slowly tick upwards as it's charging (or at least mine does). The only time I see it sitting at something like 9V that yours is showing in that pic is right after start-up and then it's up from there.

Thanks for the reply guys! got back to the train station, it started and drove it home. popped the hood and realized what the problem was..

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^ snap!

soo, looks like this also diagnosed some squeeking/belt noises i've been hearing as well leading up to this point that I forgot to mention (noticed it more when the weather was cold and wet and the squeel would go away at higher rpms, soo). not sure if the alty pulley/bearing is crapping out OR if the darn thing had just lost tension over time and just snapped the two belts? is that possible? trying to get at why these belts just let go!

will check how that pulley feels around the alternator. If that's moving/spinning nicely, am i just needing to replace the two belts (also adding the main belt plus i'm close to the Tbelt/tensioner being done again so will order all at once).

or IF that pulley isn't moving well, is there just a pulley/bearing in there that needs replacing? or should I be sending the alty out to a shop? Looks like i'll need to take the AC compressor out to get at the Alternator.

Anything else i should check for or at least be weary off?

cheers.

Last edited:
Don't need to remove the compressor. The alternator comes out the bottom if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom