Thermostat vs water pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NeverGiveUpYota

Dare me.
Threads
So it appears I might have a bit of a coolant leak. A friend helped me do the thermostat a bit ago... After he had it in and the housing replaced we noticed from the old part there was a decrepit gasket that sat on the top... The new one didn't come with one. I just happened to be searching our info on the water pump and a post from '08 specifically mentions to 'not forget the upper gasket.' ugh. So it's pretty necessary?
And I have all the books for my FJ60 but they are crazy how they break down replacing a part. Any suggestions regarding a possible water pump leak?
image-722446721.jpg

Errg gar. Yea, my friend bought the thermostat and I watched as he did it... It came with ONE gasket, the lower one that fit to the lower portion of the housing, nada else. Guess since I watched and understand its far easier than I thought I can redo it. Thank you... What about the temp sending unit? I've read some threads that say when you replace the thermostat that you should replace that too?
Prob the hoses at the same time if I'm spilling tons of coolant anyway? And I read something about flushing the system because once it opened air gets in and will cause problems?

If I understand your post correctly - Yes gaskets are very important. The old gasket has to be removed completely from the housing and a new one installed.

Usually thermostats come with a new gasket; Did you get the right thermostat?

Like I said, it had only come w/ one gasket, so unfortunately we only added the one. We did not remove the lower section of housing off the head so that one remains. I'm new at this and doing my best to research and understand. I appreciate any advice.
And in buying new parts... SOR lists after market and OEM parts... Fair diff in price. Is the aftermarket garbage?

Aftermarket is fine for many parts. I wouldn't hesitate to put a NAPA thermostat in. If the sending unit looks and works fine, I'd leave it. Hoses are typically replaced when you replace the waterpump. If they look bad though, sure wouldn't hurt to do it now. Having some on hand is never a bad idea. You'll need to burp the system to get air outof the coolant. A search on "redneck burp" should give you an idea how to do it.

Awesome. Thank you. And PB blast the heck out of all the bolts? Anti seize the bolts before putting back in? And I read that the housing needs to be siliconed... w/ rtv?

I recently replaced my T-stat (OEM) and yes the old gasket was hell to get off. Remember there are 2 gaskets upper (o-ring) and lower (paper).

Why are you saying the upper gasket was hell to get off? You mean the O ring gets stuck up in the housing? Or the upper section of housing is hard to unbolt?

Sorry I was not clear. Lower was the one that was hell. The old paper came off on the bottom side of the upper housing. Took me about 30 mins to get the old paper off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom