THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
I have recently had the water pump replaced on my 86 FJ60. Should the mechanic have replaced the thermostat as well? What about related hoses? I've had TWO blow out since the new pump, one hose came up with pinholes (hose near the firewall) and the other right OUT of the pump itself tore practically in half. Since I've replaced the latter hose, the temperature is buried in the RED and I'm not driving it. I think the t-stat is out of comission.

Any advice here would really help...

A good mechanic will ask you if you want related stuff replaced along with the water pump, namely hoses, belts, stat, etc. In part, it depends on how you approached them...if you brought the vehicle in for diagnosis and they contacted you stating your water pump was bad, then YES, they should have volunteered additional suggested items. If you brought the vehicle in there and stated you wanted yer water pump replaced, their "payback" for your backyard diagnosis is to only do what you request.

Either way tho, a good mechanic will bring up those suggested items at the forefront and let you make a decision on the added expense.

Are you saying that the hose actually tore off the water pump (not broke in half with half on the pump and half off)? If that's the case you may want to talk to the mechanic. If he's properly installed the pump and the hoses are properly fastened they should not come off. The hoses should stay connected to the pump. If you're concerned on the thermostat they are no big deal to replace. If you've replaced the hoses I'm sure you can do the thermostat! :D
Just make sure that you're full on the coolant after your work. Run with the heat full on for a bit (2-3 times of start from stone cold to normal temperature) and you should be fine.

The hose tore down the middle (it's the 45-ish-degree one coming out of the water pump).

I have the Chilton's Toyota Truck book and they show a photo of the t-stat up close on the engine and I can't find it compared to the photo!

Can you give me some direction as to where it is exactly and (any) procedures for replacement?

Thanks for the replies!

Thermostat should be at the motor end of the upper radiator hose. It just makes sence to replace hoses and belt when doing a water pump, cause you've drained the fluid and your in there already. On another note, when I bought the 40 I just sold, it ran very hot,(I also blew 2 bypass hoses on the bend as you described) constantly changed hoses,pump, themostat, even did one of those driveway flushes( back then it didn't seem to matter washing all that stuff down the drain)
Nothing worked, finally pulled the radiator,(after pulling copious amounts of hair) took it to a rad. shop and they rodded it out, turns out 75% of tubes were plugged, problem solved. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom