Thermostat Replacement

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Steel, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Steel

Steel

I am replacing the thermostat and was wondering if the paper gasket is good enough to seal the housings? Should I use some other type of sealant?

Thanks

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I use a light coat of silicone on both sides of the housing gasket.

Do you have the seal for the top of the stat to the housing? Should be a black rubber(hard now) ring.

I also use anti-seeze on the bolts to prevent them from corroding and becoming one with the housing through dissimilar metal corrosion, and I usually put in new bolts too, but if yours are in good condition and not detierorated, you should be fine.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

Those bolts are the crappiest bolts Toyota makes-I have snapped 2, and I am very careful about stff like that.. I do what Poser does-a very thin layer of RTV-gray-on the housing gasket and antiseize the bolts. If you like having heat- make sure you install that upper gasket on the top of the thermostat. One other thing-Use Toyota gaskets-NAPA sells a set, but the housing gasket is too thick to work properly.

4. jwest

jwest

Sounds like a good time to replace those bolts. I should've done that when I was into it 3 weeks ago. Hmm, I guess I still could.... one at a time.

5. 70LCruiser

70LCruiser

Just curious, but does anyone know if they make a chrome thermostat housing for a 1F engine?

6. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    No, but I am sure you can have your aluminum one chromed for a small fee.

7. dd113

dd113

[quote author=70LCruiser link=board=1;threadid=13766;start=msg128015#msg128015 date=1080439901]
    Just curious, but does anyone know if they make a chrome thermostat housing for a 1F engine?
    [/quote]

They do and it is the coolest thing. It brightenes up the entire engine compartment. There are chrome valve covers also. I really like them. You can also get some of the fake briaded lines for it. Man, that would be cool once you ge tit done. There is a chrome timing chain cover that is SO bling. You should have it or you aint s***.

8. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, you add enough of that sheit, and you can rename you truck. Call it a...a....J33P! Drive it over to the mall!

9. 70LCruiser

70LCruiser

no, a crusier will never be a HEEP, but i wouldnt go that far to chrome everything. Im trying to find an aluminum or chromed vlave cover though, anyone know where i can get one??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.