1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thermostat Replacement

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Steel, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Steel

Steel

I am replacing the thermostat and was wondering if the paper gasket is good enough to seal the housings? Should I use some other type of sealant?

Thanks

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I use a light coat of silicone on both sides of the housing gasket.

Do you have the seal for the top of the stat to the housing? Should be a black rubber(hard now) ring.

I also use anti-seeze on the bolts to prevent them from corroding and becoming one with the housing through dissimilar metal corrosion, and I usually put in new bolts too, but if yours are in good condition and not detierorated, you should be fine.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Those bolts are the crappiest bolts Toyota makes-I have snapped 2, and I am very careful about stff like that.. I do what Poser does-a very thin layer of RTV-gray-on the housing gasket and antiseize the bolts. If you like having heat- make sure you install that upper gasket on the top of the thermostat. One other thing-Use Toyota gaskets-NAPA sells a set, but the housing gasket is too thick to work properly.

4. jwest

jwest

Sounds like a good time to replace those bolts. I should've done that when I was into it 3 weeks ago. Hmm, I guess I still could.... one at a time.

5. 70LCruiser

70LCruiser

Just curious, but does anyone know if they make a chrome thermostat housing for a 1F engine?

6. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    No, but I am sure you can have your aluminum one chromed for a small fee.

7. dd113

dd113

[quote author=70LCruiser link=board=1;threadid=13766;start=msg128015#msg128015 date=1080439901]
    Just curious, but does anyone know if they make a chrome thermostat housing for a 1F engine?
    [/quote]

They do and it is the coolest thing. It brightenes up the entire engine compartment. There are chrome valve covers also. I really like them. You can also get some of the fake briaded lines for it. Man, that would be cool once you ge tit done. There is a chrome timing chain cover that is SO bling. You should have it or you aint s***.

8. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, you add enough of that sheit, and you can rename you truck. Call it a...a....J33P! Drive it over to the mall!

9. 70LCruiser

70LCruiser

no, a crusier will never be a HEEP, but i wouldnt go that far to chrome everything. Im trying to find an aluminum or chromed vlave cover though, anyone know where i can get one??

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">